Upload & Sell: Off
There is quite a lot of discussion and samples on this topic in the ZE/ZF/ZM thread, but it could take a while to finish it. In summary, and partly IMO (boke quality):
- The 50MP is sharper everywhere except the extreme corners wide open
- The 50MP has more DoF at a given aperture (!)
- The 50MP has somewhat clinical rendering, and not that much character, apart from the generic Zeiss style
- The 50P is soft until about f/4, although f/2.8 is okay
- The 50P has a more gentle, classical rendering style, and more fluid, calmer boke
- The 50P generates 3D much more easily
- the 50P is at least as sharp when stopped down to f/5.6-f/8
It depends a lot on what you want. I bought the 50MP first and ended up buying the 50P as well, but lots of people have one or the other. The 50MP is very good when you want to get as much depth of field as possible around a subject which stands alone in space, while keeping the total depth of field small. The 50P can isolate more easily, but at some cost to sharpness when close to wide open.
I did some comparison shots in the above-mentioned thread, specifically to demonstrate the last point, as well as the muddy/soft 50MP extreme corners wide open.
Edited on Mar 01, 2012 at 06:37 AM · View previous versions