Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's
  
 
teebat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


I have 3 Turbo 2x2's, 2 of them are in need of new battery cells. I know Quantum does this but I was wondering if they are using updated batteries of if they just replace with the same type which should be an old technology after 6-7 years (that's at least how old they Turbo's are).

But,.. my partner uses the Canon battery pack (CP-E3) and uses the Imedion AA batteries and get's a pretty good number of flashes out of them. He also does not have them disconnect problem I do with the Quantum cable coming loose on the Flash side.

Has anyome here given up on the Turbo's and gone back to the Cannon battery pack?

FYI, we are using the battery packs with 550ex & 580ex flashes for event and Wedding work.



Feb 29, 2012 at 08:01 PM
dmendlik
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


they use the same batteries. You can also look for a batteries plus, they will build the same batteries for you at a much lower price. You just have to disassemble your quantum, pull out the battery back and they will replicate it.




Mar 02, 2012 at 12:48 AM
mmurph
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


Replacement battery packs on eBay I think. Haven't compared the price to just doing it myself.

Let us know what you decide.

Michael



Mar 03, 2012 at 03:51 AM
aborr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


Too much expense for me to bother with Turbo 2x2's for Canon flashes. The Yongnuo knockoffs of the Canon CPE4 cost about $60 each and work fine with AA cells. The Quantums have more capacity, but they're more than I need for event work, and they get kinda pricey when it comes time to replace the batteries.


Mar 03, 2012 at 05:13 AM
teebat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


aborr wrote:
Too much expense for me to bother with Turbo 2x2's for Canon flashes. The Yongnuo knockoffs of the Canon CPE4 cost about $60 each and work fine with AA cells. The Quantums have more capacity, but they're more than I need for event work, and they get kinda pricey when it comes time to replace the batteries.


They are expensive, but I do use them with Qflashes for out door work and the extra power is nice.

Do those Yongnuo's work just as well as the originals? I read somewhere a while back that they did not refresh the flash as quickly, I don't know anything about electronics.



Mar 03, 2012 at 04:19 PM
aborr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


teebat wrote:
They are expensive, but I do use them with Qflashes for out door work and the extra power is nice.

Do those Yongnuo's work just as well as the originals? I read somewhere a while back that they did not refresh the flash as quickly, I don't know anything about electronics.


They look and feel nearly identical to the CPE4. With fresh batteries, the newer ones (that use 8 x AA's) take a bit over a second to charge a 580ex to full power. The recycle time increases to around 2 seconds after a couple of hundred full power pops. As the batteries run down, they get much slower than that. I think the recycle times are about the same as the CPE4. The actual times vary quite a bit depending on the age/conditition/quality of the batteries you put in the pack.

They're no competition for the Turbo's in heavy use, and they won't power a bigger flash like the QFlash. But when used with a 580EX, one set of Eneloop batteries usually lasts me all day as most of the time I'm firing the flash at a lot less than full power.



Mar 03, 2012 at 08:37 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



teebat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


aborr wrote:
They look and feel nearly identical to the CPE4. With fresh batteries, the newer ones (that use 8 x AA's) take a bit over a second to charge a 580ex to full power. The recycle time increases to around 2 seconds after a couple of hundred full power pops. As the batteries run down, they get much slower than that. I think the recycle times are about the same as the CPE4. The actual times vary quite a bit depending on the age/conditition/quality of the batteries you put in the pack.

They're no competition for the Turbo's in heavy use, and
...Show more

Thanks, I am going to get one and try it out. For the price I can afford to experiment, I will just compare it to my older CPE3 pack. I seldom use the AA packs outside but indoors where the ISO is higher it probably isn't using more than 1/4 per flash. So in real life I may notice no difference at all.

Is the cord on the Yong's long enough for you, I find the Canon a little short.



Mar 03, 2012 at 10:19 PM
aborr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


teebat wrote:
Is the cord on the Yong's long enough for you, I find the Canon a little short.

I haven't used a Canon pack in a long time, but I'd guess the cord's about the same.



Mar 03, 2012 at 11:46 PM
kateman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


teebat,
i, too, use the yongnuos. I power vivitar 285s w/ them, as well as 580 and 580II.
i shoot indoor sports w/'em. W/ 4 or 5 flashes, i shoot on manuel, power the flashes
down to around 1/4 power and i can get 3 to 4 shot groups w/o much problem.
i use re-chargeable batts, eneloop is one of the better choices for these, IMO.
just a suggestion...purchase two or three quality chargers so you can charge large
quantities of batteries a time.
saves time and keeps fresh batts on hand.
discliamer: this is just what works for me, in the arenas' i shoot in.
hope it helps.
B



Mar 05, 2012 at 10:46 PM
teebat
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


Thanks to everyone for their input. I went with 2 Yongyu's and 16 new Sanyo XX Eneloop 2500 mAh and I got another Maha charger. All this and still less expensive than a 2x2.

The cord does seem a little longer, and it's a much tighter fit in the HV port which I like.




Mar 21, 2012 at 07:48 PM
markd61
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Time to re-cell my Turbo 2x2's


FWIW the new Quantum batteries have a lock on the cord which I feel is long overdue. I frequently cursed the cable coming loose at a critical juncture. I do not know if they could update your battery to a locking connector type when sending it in for a re-cell.

The cable I have for my 580 EX-II is good and long unlike the one for my Metz.
Recycle time is blazing fast. I do envy the lighter weight of the AA battery packs though.

I also use my Quantums with Q-flashes off camera so I am not really ready to dump them yet.



Mar 26, 2012 at 05:28 AM





FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password