Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bought a Lumix GX1, don't know if I will keep it or try a...

misterbill7718
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bought a Lumix GX1, don't know if I will keep it or try another system.

I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix GX1 and 20m 1.7 as a smaller option to taking my 1dMkIV with me. I really like the camera and lens, in fact if it was my only kit I think I would be quite happy with it. BUT, when I compare the files to my Canon kit I just can't get past the drop in image quality. I know that no compact system will compare to a pro DSLR, but I had hoped that the convenience of a small camera would outweigh my desire for the same level of performance. Unfortunately it looks like I was wrong. I really want to like the GX1. I don't think it is buyers remorse, since it is a relatively inexpensive kit compared to just getting one of the cheaper lenses I want from Canon (24L is next I think).

So how do other high-end DSLR shooters reconcile the drop in image quality when going to a "compact system"? Part of me thinks that I am getting photos that I otherwise wouldn't have captured since the IdMkIV would have still been at home on many of my hikes and adventures. But I have yet to find an image taken with the GX1 that I want to process and edit. When I look through them I always find something lacking that puts me off from developing them further. Is this common among other "mirrorless shooters"?

I am thinking of returning the GX1 kit and 20mm 1.7 and just resigning myself to either carrying the MkIV, or maybe picking up a 5D2 or maybe even an APS-C body for something lighter and more carryable. I am sure there are quite a few others out there that have taken the leap to m4/3 and had second thoughts. Did you eventually find yourself able to embrace the smaller format, or did you end up selling/returning the camera and going back to lugging around your DSLR?

I know the NEX system and the X100 can offer me a better image quality, and know that I would probably be fine with a single focal length because the only lens I have ever used on the GX1 is the 20mm. I am a bit reluctant to go with the NEX due to the limited options for fast AF primes, and manual focusing alt glass is probably not going to be the direction I go. I certainly like the idea of the X100, but am reluctant to try this whole experiment again. I am sure many of you have been through the same process and would love to hear your thoughts, especially if you have a pro/pro-sumer DSLR kit that you are very happy with.

BTW, I do hate the hassle of needing to import the GX1 RAW files to Lightroom as DNGs and then processing in Photoshop CS4. It seems to be a lot more time and hassle than it is worth.

If you have read all of this, thanks for your time, and I would appreciate your comments.

Best Regards,
Bill

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:40 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Bought a Lumix GX1, don't know if I will keep it or try another system.

If you consider the FF Sony A850 to be a pro/prosumer camera, I've found the NEX-7 to have really good files straight of the camera when using the ZA 24mm F1.8. The biggest weakness of that lens is purple fringing and somewhat poorer corners. Similar to the 25mm F2 Zeiss. However, the files reminds me of those out of the Zeiss ZA 24-70mm F2.8 and ZA 85mm F1.4. That is, very contrasty and dynamic already out of the camera with minimal tweaking needed for my taste.

From looking at early samples of the NEX 50mm F1.8 OSS, it looks like a very good nifty fifty but again, there seems to be a bit more purple fringing than I'm used to for a $300 prime lens.

Personally, when I shot MFT, I've found that even with RAW, I liked the files out of Olympus bodies more than the Panasonic bodies I've owned.

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password