Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cheap 20-35mm for EF

umihoshijima
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap 20-35mm for EF

I'm looking for a nice, standard-feel lens on my crop-sensored 20D. I'm looking for something <$100, including an adaptor (less is always nice). I'd be using this as a walkaround, and would prefer something fast (though it isn't necessary, since I also want to try zone-focusing with it).

What would be some good lenses for me? I know Pentax made a bunch of m42/bayonet-mount that are both adaptable.

Feb 28, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap 20-35mm for EF

For under $100, your choices are kind of limited if you want decent imaging. Canon has a number of older film-era EF kit lenses that fit the bill without need of an adapter. One older model that I like a lot is the 28-80 USM II -- covers full frame for $50-70. The best candidate is the EF-S 18-55 without IS.

I tried a Yashica 35-70 in C/Y mount -- I've got it on ebay right now starting at $39. Decent imaging, but I'd prefer the AF and features of the Canon EF models I mentioned above.

You'll have more choices in Alt, but the prices will be up there for most 24-28-35 offerings unless you want a f/3.5. M42 is the cheapest for decent adapters at under $10.

Start hunting around on eBay -- good luck!

Feb 28, 2012 at 06:18 AM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap 20-35mm for EF

I do have a canon 17-85 IS, but I kind of wanted a smaller prime as a walkaround. I don't remember the super takumars being this expensive… it seems like a 35mm f/3.5 is just about the price that I was willing to pay at the moment. I'll have to think about that. Considering I can pick up a Canon 35mm f/2 with AF for <$300 used…

I guess I'm sad there's no wider equivalent of the Helios 44. Ah, well.

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:36 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap 20-35mm for EF

I recommend checking the Zuiko 28mm and 35mm lenses, they are very high quality, both IQ and the build quality. Slower versions of these lenses can be found quite cheap.

Forexample the Zuiko 28/2.8 + adapter can be had for your 100$, it's very nice lens, okay sharpness wide open on crop camera and very sharp corner to corner at f5.6 even on full frame camera.

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:58 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap 20-35mm for EF

If you want a good sub $100 lens, the Olympus OM Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 (generally regarded around here as superior to the f/2.8) is a very nice lens and quite sharp especially when stopped down. If you can spend just a little bit more money, I would highly recommend a Minolta MD 35mm f/1.8 (get the one with 49mm filter threads if you can, it is nicely small). This is a fabulous little lens on a crop camera and IMO a lot better than the Canon 35mm f/2, especially the bokeh. You will need to find one that has been converted to EOS mount, but they show up on the B & S board every now and again. When I switched to full frame I sold mine for $225, if I remember correctly.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password