Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Live Oaks x Two

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Live Oaks x Two

Color and BW variations, slight change in crop
Like Kent, looking for an entry into the WA.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    90mm    f/5.6    1/45s    800 ISO    -0.5 EV  

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    90mm    f/5.6    1/45s    800 ISO    -0.5 EV  

Feb 27, 2012 at 02:08 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Live Oaks x Two

For me the best feature of this one is the leading line of the lower overhanging limb leading to the statue of John Wesley and the other behind creating a X over the signs. But I found the jumble of limbs above, the brighter color contrast of the building and other sharp details distracting me. While you probably wouldn't want to modify it to this degree for a competition entry I edited to crop out as many distractions as I could on top, tone down others, and then use selective blur and sharpening to lead the eye over the distractions by rendering them OOF and along the desired eye path left > right following the limb by keeping to sharp. It's a bit exaggerated here for effect... The goal would be to do it just enough to create the desired eye movement subliminally without the viewer noticing the PP manipulations....

What is interesting is how the pattern in the red flowers in the foreground on mirror the angle of the limb above it. Those types of pattens in a photo are easier to seen when the competing jumble of branches above is eliminated. I cloned out the pink flowers in the corner because I would want the viewer to be focusing on the statue, with plaque readable so they'd know who he was, not pulled down to the corner to check out the contrasting tone/color of the flowers there.

Feb 27, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Live Oaks x Two

Scott,

See you made it to Savannah, hope the weather holds!

I prefer the color version but for WA purposes, sort of a round peg in square hole....historical marker and statue competing with the gorgeous oak as subjects. From that, I'd like to know the historical significance and story - tree becomes window dressing.

my 2,

Bob

Feb 27, 2012 at 03:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Live Oaks x Two

Chuck and Bob,
I appreciate your thoughts.
Chuck,
I agree. The panoramic crop eliminates some of the busy and distracting elements in the original. But I love those pink flowers!
Chuck and Bob,
The pink flower issue is part of the issue. I much prefer looking at the color and I think the lower right hand corner flowers add balance to the capture. But, since the topic is trees, the color in the image, the flower, and yes, the historical marker and statue all make this something less focused as a "tree" image.
Pouring rain today and heading out tomorrow, so I am not hopeful for other entries.
And, once I hit Florida most interesting tree shots are....history.

Scott

Feb 27, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Live Oaks x Two

Good luck, didn't realize azaleas are blooming already down there.

When in full bloom, gorgeous, but I've never been able to do justice with photography.

Feb 27, 2012 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Live Oaks x Two

Hi Scott I like the cropped version of the colour one.

Your B&W conversion really sings, great tones, but the black blob in the left top spoils it a bit.

Cheers Ray

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Live Oaks x Two

A little different crop.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Live Oaks x Two

Dougo wrote:
Hi Scott I like the cropped version of the colour one.

Your B&W conversion really sings, great tones, but the black blob in the left top spoils it a bit.

Cheers Ray

Thx, Ray.
I agree about The Blob. I think the movie was better

Mar 07, 2012 at 02:20 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Live Oaks x Two

RustyBug wrote:
A little different crop.

Beautiful!!!

Scott