Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

I sent this PM to you Fred and haven't heard back. I thought posting it in this forum might catch your attention if I said the magic words... Fred Miranda

To: Fred Miranda
Date: Feb 18, 2012
Subject: Nikon Lens Review Addition
Hi Fred - We've been having a discussion on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread about ways in which some of what we've learned about these great lenses can be shared with others who might be interested in the subject. Our thread is fast approaching 700 pages and has become so long that it isn't easy for ANYONE to find things within the thread.

We've discussed the possibility of creating a wiki on the subject but that seems like a rather daunting prospect. A couple of members suggested a great place
...Show more

The Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread is the most active on the Nikon forum and one of the most active on FM. There is obviously a great deal of interest in these lenses both among Nikon shooters and those playing in the Alternative Gear forum. Adding the lenses to the review section would support all those fans and likely become an appreciated resource for those who don't know this website but love these lenses. You could generate EVEN MORE eyeballs...

Feb 26, 2012 at 06:59 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

+1^

Feb 26, 2012 at 07:07 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

+2

Feb 26, 2012 at 08:45 PM
montym
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

As a novice MF shooter, I would love to see this happen!

Monty

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

^ The usual suspects...

Thanks guys. Maybe we can convince Fred to add this useful feature to an already great website.

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:29 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

This is a long over due addition to our review section. It only makes sense that it should be there, especially considering the amount of revenue brought into this forum through the sales of these wonderful lenses.

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:57 PM
onewire66

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

I also would like to see this

Feb 27, 2012 at 02:29 AM
deang001
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Great idea Curtis. It would be a great resource for not only members of FM, but also bring many newcomers to the site as there is not much quality info regarding these lenses around. Maybe a link to the thread after each review as well?

Feb 27, 2012 at 02:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

I'm bumping this to the top since Fred has yet to respond. Fred, where are you?

Mar 09, 2012 at 08:55 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

+2

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Fred, oh Fred, where art thou?

Mar 11, 2012 at 09:19 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Frankly, Tony, I'm surprised he hasn't made an appearance. Thanks for the bump and for mentioning Fred's name. I've always thought he tracked such references.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Perhaps he's in the Cayman's Even so, what with all of you all on the MF board and the combined expertise, indeed, it would be enormously useful to folks beginning a manual focus journey to have available a resource for MF lenses. It sure would have saved me a considerable amount of $ early on. That's especially clear given the current review that John has put up looking at the 400's.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

There definitely is gold in them thar hills... Hopefully we can put it to good use... with a little bit of help from Fred.

Mar 12, 2012 at 04:51 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Where in the world is Mario, er, Fred?

Mar 14, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

I could be wrong but I'm don't think these reviews if implemented would be very active. However, the reviews page is due to a big update. How many lenses are we talking about here?
Fred

Mar 14, 2012 at 01:41 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Hi Fred,

well, the MF thread now has well over 320 pages and it's adding contributors seemingly on a daily basis, as well as adding our own commentary as to which MF lens to get next, IQ, etc. Curtis will be along to give you better numbers than I.

thanks Fred,

tony

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Fred Miranda wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm don't think these reviews if implemented would be very active. However, the reviews page is due to a big update. How many lenses are we talking about here?
Fred

Hey Fred... good to hear from you. As Tony notes, the Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread is the busiest on the Nikon forum and one of the fastest moving on FM. We will have added 10,000 posts during the time it has taken Best Nikon Shots to add a bit over 900. And the topic of lens suitability and quality comes up quite regularly, especially among new participants to the conversation. With a thread that has over 700 pages and no search function for thread contents, it is practically impossible for anyone to find lens specific information within the thread.

No doubt you're aware that Nikon's manual focus lenses are much prized, not only by Nikon shooters but by Canon shooters as well as those using a wide array of cameras and video gear. My guess is that a well done review section for these lenses would find a wide audience not only within FM but outside. Those of us shooting MF know all the web resources available and there is none I've encountered that permits users to write reviews. I believe it would be very popular and much used.

If you check my profile you'll see 23 manual focus Nikon lenses. I'm definitely missing a few of the gems in Nikon's MF collection. My guess is we'd have a pretty thorough review section with room for 40 lenses, perhaps a bit more then 30 primes and less than ten zooms. If you want a more specific list I'll happily raise the subject on the thread and see what those using them believe belong on this list.

I applaud your intention to refresh the Reviews section. As the go to photography site on the web this is an important resource for all of us. It would be frosting on the cake to have Nikon's great manual focus lenses included. Let's make it happen!

Mar 14, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Ok, here is the deal. I don't know anything about these lenses and will not read the thread looking for clues.
To be able to implement this I would need 100% help. I would need the correct "name" of each lens, a "picture" of it, "description" and "specs". Maybe someone can create a quick html page with this info. Perhaps we need to condensate the list to about 30 lenses (the most popular ones). As soon as I have this list I would be happy to add a section to the reviews page.

Mar 14, 2012 at 03:41 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Add Nikon Manual Focus Lenses to Review Section

Whoo Hooo!!!!!

Mar 14, 2012 at 04:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password