Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Modifying Kippon-style Contax G adapter --- idea

DamonJoyce
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Modifying Kippon-style Contax G adapter --- idea

I was going to post this in one of the other threads, but it was different enough that maybe it should stand on its own.

My understanding of the Kippon adapter is that it has a large outer gear driving the small brass geared focusing tab (I've looked inside a Metabones, but haven't taken apart my Kippon yet). Part of the grittiness is when turning the outer ring, the pressure against the brass gear varies. Thumb or fingers close to the screw: smooth; thumb and fingers away: gritty.

What about putting in two dummy gears at 120 and 240 to make a 3-point of contact connection? I envision drilling four small indents (2 top and bottom), and putting in some sort of small brass gear (I have no idea where to get one, but haven't even looked). The gears would just spin against the outer ring for tension, and would obviously need to have the right ratio compared to the focus gear.

Does this sound plausible, or am I overlooking something basic?

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:38 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Modifying Kippon-style Contax G adapter --- idea

Before you start drilling into it, try taking it apart and re-lubing it. The grease in mine was an industrial grease that is somewhat sticky, I simply took the whole thing apart then tried a few different methods of lubricating it. Some varieties of grease (automotive) worked but smelled too strongly, others were not viscous enough.

Anyone old enough to remember big metal zippers on clothes will probably remember that rubbing candle wax on the teeth made them zip smoother. In the end, what worked best for me was to rub a wax candle against the gears and coat them with just a slight bit of wax, reseal and heat up slightly with a hairdryer, then let cool - no more grittiness.

Feb 27, 2012 at 02:40 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password