Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

truthsforme

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

I've been reading a lot here about how difficult and uncomfortable it is to focus any of the contax G lenses, and it has something to do with the adapter. So I just want to know why it's difficult, what about it makes it so difficult, and which adapters seem to be less troublesome.

Thanks in advance

regards

Feb 26, 2012 at 01:49 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

Since the G lenses were made for the AF cameras Contax G1/G2 they dont have a focusing ring. Focusing was done through a screw mechanism found at the bottom of the lens mount. Hence, the adapter will have to use that screw and be equipped with a (quite primitive) focusing ring. Due to gearing it's not very smooth. And it varies too which can be pretty annoying. Perhaps it could be better implemented (more advanced gearing?) than current adapters.

Some adapters do have a larger ring than the cheapest, but I have yet to read that they're significantly better. They're never smooth and dont come close to a real focusing ring.

It's the superb quality of that glass that makes them so attractive anyway. And some of them can still be found pretty cheap (28/35/45/90).

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:39 PM
truthsforme

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

Is this a good one? If it is, what's the name of this one?

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:04 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

It's a Kipon. I have one and it's very smooth, as is a Metabones that I also have.

Mike

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcad10
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

I have one of the "Cheap" ones from e-bay, however I have very little complaint about it. Is it worse than a built in focus ring- yes.... do I mind it- no.

Feb 27, 2012 at 05:20 AM
artur5
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

I have a cheap 'Nipon' branded ring. Just a shameless copy of the Kipon. It works OK with my Sonnar-G 90.
One thing I found is that when the adapter+lens is out of the camera, turning the focusing ring is a PITA, very stiff or even stuck; but once is mounted on the NEX it works reasonably well.
Even so, I'm thinking of replacing my Sonnar-G 90 with a C/Y Sonnar 85/2.8. The focus ring isn't the only ergonomic issue with G lenses. You haven't a focus scale on the lens; pre focus isn't possible. Also, the G mount isn't compatible with other Mirrorless systems, ( as the Ricoh GXR M mount A12).

Feb 27, 2012 at 04:18 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

mcbroomf wrote:
It's a Kipon. I have one and it's very smooth, as is a Metabones that I also have.

Mike

+1 for the Kipon. It's smooooth.

Feb 27, 2012 at 05:15 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Regarding contax G to NEX adapters

It doesnt look like a Kipon in the film.

Feb 27, 2012 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password