Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · No country for old men.....

marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · No country for old men.....

For those who have seen the movie, I've associated it lately with my photography career.
I have watched the industry change drastically, with some good and some not so good
changes.

I have noticed also that in some disciplines, clients gravitate towards young, hip, modern
photographers who give them that " good vibe " feeling regardless of the quality of the product.

If it's different, hip, cool, "cheap", then they want it.

Younger clients want younger shooters. "Oh he's too old, I want someone younger". Someone
who knows what im going through in life, who "feels" me, blah blah blah.

I've come to the realization that one only has so much time in this profession before age
becomes a negative factor. Some may say that I'm being melodramatic, but i'm speaking
from my own experiences.

Providing quality products and service doesn't seem to be enough any more and being "old"
adds to the dilemna.

Edited on Feb 26, 2012 at 01:41 PM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · No country for old men.....

Passions & fashions are constantly changing marti.g3. It is part of the process that has always been. As a participant in these fields one has to adjust as make course corrections as to not be left behind. Today more than ever this is true and the speed curve is getting faster, if you are not observant you fall behind.

I am of the age group of which you speak so although it may not be right our society certainly cares not for those who miss the boat. The good news is a boat leaves much more often today, you can still make one if you choose.

Gerard

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #3 · No country for old men.....

I agree with you. I just don't know if I'm interested in catching that boat anymore. I've lived my life.

Feb 26, 2012 at 01:38 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · No country for old men.....

No country for old men.....

Amen. It's always been about youth, and really it should be. Youth connects well with youth. They don't want to be working with a dad or grand-pop figure. They just got out of that mode, some still in the nest. Hats off to the young, talented "photographers", and I don't use that word loosely. Making a career of photography is even scarier than in my day.

Just a short reminder to the young photographer:

As you are, I was
As I am, you will be

Feb 26, 2012 at 01:44 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · No country for old men.....

I remember in my younger shooting days, brides would book sometimes just because I was younger and they felt that "connection". Looking back on that now, I see how silly that was of them, but as everyone says, weddings are about emotion and feelings. That sells.

Feb 26, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · No country for old men.....

marti.g3I agree with you. I just don't know if I'm interested in catching that boat anymore. I've lived my life.

I know the feeling all to well. I think my kids and grandkids keep me tethered a bit to todays world but quite honestly I do not feel I 'Want To' become any more involved than I am. Chalk it up to age but the world today is much like a place thats foreign to me. We know we can't go home again, so it leaves us trying to find our place. Change what we can - manage what we can't, so it goes....

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · No country for old men.....

"It's always been about youth, and really it should be."

The last part of that I would disagree with. It should not be! We have no sense of family or respect for age in our culture (unlike many cultures of the world, much older than ours). There's a saying I like from George Bernad Shaw,
" Youth is wasted on the young." Remember how stupid you and I were when we were young? Without someone to guide and provide leadership through being role models then the youth of which we speak are lost. What the world would be left with is, to quote another great American, "Stupid is as stupid does" , Forrest Gump.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:40 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · No country for old men.....

it just seemed than when I was younger it all came so easy. Now it's like running uphill carrying a bag of cement. I thought with age it was supposed to get better. But for ME, it's the opposite. Sucks getting old.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #9 · No country for old men.....

Is an assistant a possibility? Are you at the point where taking on a young partner might be of interest and begin thinking about transferring the business to him or her?

I know photography businesses as rule don't have much resale value but it still looks to me that there might be ground for common interest:

For young partner:
- Your existing client base and referrals
- Your experience
- Your equipment

For you:
- Someone to take some of the load (perhaps some marketing and sales oriented to a younger crowd).
- Opportunity to use your experience in a different way and maybe have a sense of "legacy"/contributing to the future.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Liquidpics
• • •
p.1 #10 · No country for old men.....

marti.g3 wrote:
Sucks getting old.

You actually don't sound that old. The term sucks would not be used by a 80 something year old nor by a 60-70 (as least my parents don't use such lingo). I have had the pleasure to meet a few "older" folks that have more charisma, charm, sex appeal and in better physical condition then a lot of so called "young" photographers have/ or will ever have......so this is rubbish talk to me. I think someone needs an attitude adjustment and a bit more of positive outlook! Don't be defeated by the young fry as you have the experience that they don't. I personally never age...

Feb 26, 2012 at 07:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

borderlight
• • •
p.1 #11 · No country for old men.....

Hey Mickey, you're right... it shouldn't be. However, the 21-25 year olds think that the 30-35 year olds are their experienced, knowledgable work partners, and often are. I don't think you have to be at buzzard age to have a real edge on a 35 year old who has been doing a professional job for the last 10 years. There are plenty of examples of experienced talent in their chosen profession who peaked before they reach forty. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, just to name two, were quite successful in their thirties. They could teach the old timers more tricks then most of us will ever know at any age. Outside the workforce, yes, the person with more life experience and wisdom should usually be the choice for guide or leader, but often their value is wasted in this society. Of course when you are at retirement age everybody is young.

Feb 26, 2012 at 07:24 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #12 · No country for old men.....

I feel your pain. 40 years at this, 10 in digital, I'm always struck by the various forum posts that say "How can I get this look." Then the sample posted is one that just a few years ago would be under the title, "How can I fix this."

Sometimes I think it's just the normal generational revolution. Remember how us Boomers responded to the "It's not your father's Oldsmobile" ad campaign?

Yet I see a paradox. I do about a dozen senior portrait sessions a year, pro-bono for high school foreign exchange students. The past few years I've included some "wild, crazy, and cool" stuff. You know, the angled shots, some cross processing, some grungy textures and borders, etc.

Strangely, this stuff does not sell (even though my stuff is free). The kids never pick them for their wallets or other prints. The always stick with the traditional stuff. Yet when I look at their Facebook pages, I'm confused that their profile photos are almost always some fairly crappy P&S or cellphone image. Out of focus, bizzare colors, dumb expressions. It's like they are trying to say, "See, I'm wild and crazy too", when in fact they are far from it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 07:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · No country for old men.....

This is a rather profound subject that touches every area of our lives as we age. I always chuckle when I remember a quote my former boss had behind his desk that said "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill." That may be true in the world of work but in life not so much. Getting older is challenging in many ways and not merely the physical changes that come with aging. For much of our lives we focus on possibilities, trusting that with time things will get easier and better if we apply ourselves. Middle age generally begins when we accept limitations that are inherent in being human. No matter how talented a person may be, no matter how fortuitous one may be in terms of family and fortune, we inevitably realize that not everything we believed possible when we were in our twenties will come to pass.

I do volunteer work with men and women as they approach the end of their lives, all of whom to this point have been younger than I am. As we reflect on the arc of each person's life there is generally some time given over to regretting both what never happened and some of the things that did happen. But the bulk of attention is on gratitude for what was present along the way, not what was lacking. In my experience, those who are suffering at the moment have lost sight of those things for which they would be grateful were they paying attention. Gratitude isn't dependent on a big bank account or on our professional reputations but on much simpler stuff. But we need to be paying attention.

Feb 26, 2012 at 08:07 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #14 · No country for old men.....

marti.g3 wrote:
Sucks getting old.

The alternative is usually considered undesirable.

This quote from Oscar Wilde might offer some solace:

"In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience."

Because photography is an area with rapid changes, especially in the past decade, you might find benefit in reading Who Moved My Cheese. It makes you think about what change means and how significant your approach to change can be.

Feb 26, 2012 at 08:24 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #15 · No country for old men.....

marti.g3 wrote:
Sucks getting old.

Liquidpics wrote:

You actually don't sound that old. The term sucks would not be used by a 80 something year old nor by a 60-70 (as least my parents don't use such lingo).

You would be surprised what those 60-70 year old parents say. After all our generation - the original baby boomers, went to the original Woodstock, were part of the Vietnam war era, wore long hair/beards, participated in campus takeovers, watched the first B&W and color TVs, followed Elvis, watched Nixon resign as president, listened to the greatest rock bands..... PLUS Deep Throat movies, LSD, protests, political activism, the women's movement and civil rights battles, and so much more.... all endorsed by Satan. Realistically though, it was just stuff you witnessed, participated in, or stood on the sidelines and shook your head. Soooo... I think using the word "sucks" is rather tame compared to all that. BTW: Most of us old people are cool. You should hang with us more often.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #16 · No country for old men.....

CGrindahl wrote:
This is a rather profound subject that touches every area of our lives as we age. I always chuckle when I remember a quote my former boss had behind his desk that said "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill." That may be true in the world of work but in life not so much. Getting older is challenging in many ways and not merely the physical changes that come with aging. For much of our lives we focus on possibilities, trusting that with time things will get easier and better if we apply ourselves. Middle age generally
...Show more

Man this is right on mark. Things that I had worked my entire life for just aren't happening. It's not enough to be a hard worker, decent law abiding family man. No one cares about that. The only thing that matters in society is if you can pay your bills. If you can't, you're screwed.

I'm 56, grew up in the Barrio, attended private boys school out of area so that I could leave my environment and live an American life. For many years I had it all. But with some unfortunate life altering changes, it's not happening any more. And I can't start over. It just makes one realize what was good in life and from there.......well, who knows.......the future is not bright......

Feb 27, 2012 at 03:44 AM
surreywharf
• •
p.1 #17 · No country for old men.....

"Old age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.". Words to live by!!!

Jim

EDIT: Sorry Curtis, didn't see your post. Great minds.......

Feb 27, 2012 at 03:59 AM
mtdydobe
• •
p.1 #18 · No country for old men.....

just sit back, sip a nice Chardonnay, and revel that mother time will exact her revenge. We all get "old".

now... that said, you could try to be one of the old farts that tries to make themselves look hip and cool.. clip on pony-tail? funky slit heavy framed shades? duo-tone hair (assuming you have hair)? tats? piercings? adopt cool lingo. tweet.... yeah, tweet everything you do... brb, gone to take a leak.. just be connected man, and hip... (sarcasm intended, as an aging middle aged guy)

Feb 27, 2012 at 07:18 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #19 · No country for old men.....

"First you forget names, then you forget faces. Next you forget to pull your zipper up and finally, you forget to pull it down."

- George Burns

Feb 27, 2012 at 08:06 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · No country for old men.....

This was in my email inbox last evening...

Ask yourself these two questions: Do I remember at every moment that I am dying, and that everyone and everything else is, and so treat all beings at all times with compassion? Has my understanding of death and impermanence become so keen and so urgent that I am devoting every second to the pursuit of enlightenment? If you can answer “yes” to both of these, then you really understand impermanence.

I love the George Burns quote Dan. It is good to retain one's humor when faced with the inevitable challenges of aging. But I also love the Buddhist perspective that acknowledges the reality of death and the importance of embracing the life we have at the moment. Impermanence is the only game in town. To believe otherwise is to delude oneself.

Feb 27, 2012 at 09:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password