Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Visuals
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

http://www.iphoneography.com/

Watched the video and was amazed at what you can do with the iphone!

Imagine if apple on they Iphone 5 made it so that the camera took raw photos?

Imagine apple hard ware with hundreds of apps that change lenses instantly ad your effects

This is getting crazy

Your thoughts!?

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:05 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Imagine a camera that would only work on one proprietary system, with one proprietary raw format that Apple would never share with Adobe nor anyone else. No thanks. I'm a long time Mac user but I think Apple controls/ locks down their hardware (iPhones, iPads) far far too much. I don't know that I would trust Apple to provide a totally open system camera. Their hardware history simply does not suggest they would.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:34 AM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #3 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

It'd be great for more photos of cross-processed Starbucks coffee cups when the hipsters are there writing on their Macbooks.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:37 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Imagine a camera that would only work on one proprietary system, with one proprietary raw format that Apple would never share with Adobe nor anyone else. No thanks. I'm a long time Mac user but I think Apple controls/ locks down their hardware (iPhones, iPads) far far too much. I don't know that I would trust Apple to provide a totally open system camera. Their hardware history simply does not suggest they would.

Very very true. Why doesnt the camera in the iPhone use an open standard like JPEG?

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:21 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Apple once did make a camera, the QuickTake, which was the first digital camera I ever used.

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:43 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

I had a QuickTake, wish i had kept it. Would have looked good on my relic shelf. As for performance, lets just say Apple was more like an orange back then. BTW some say Apple will soon intro a camera in the iPhone thats even better than todays.

I know it won't be any good because I have too much $$$ invested in my real camera equipment,

Gerard

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:15 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Reading the OP made my head hurt

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:23 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Re: What is APPLE made a camera!?

Has the fungus from Dave's lenses proven so infections that the term "MAC" [sic] has now has spilled over to "APPLE" [sic]?

I'm (gonna) be [sic]!

Apple makes pretty stuff, at a certain price point. They control the hardware and the software to an extent that they are often the first to mass-market something.

That being said, I don't own any Apple products and my gut instinct is to probably steer clear of any imaging system they would (could?) dream up.

Living where I live and doing the things I do, family and friends keep giving me this gift card scrip for Apple products for "momentous occasions"...to the point that I have a few hundred dollars that I will never use!

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:23 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #9 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

BenV wrote:
Reading the OP made my head hurt

Seconded.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:52 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Tariq Gibran wrote:

wait, is this different than what current camera makers do? the iphone is so much more open than any camera. i'm not saying i don't think that the iphone should be more open, just that you'd have to really work to make cameras less open than they currently are.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #11 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Tariq Gibran wrote:

I'll counter this, just because I'm bored and I've got nothing else to do besides force-drink water (stupid sinus infection!)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Imagine a camera that would only work on one proprietary system

That wouldn't make much marketing sense - Apple's other hardware items work on the PC just fine, so I'm not sure why a camera would be locked into Mac-only usage.

with one proprietary raw format that Apple would never share with Adobe nor anyone else. No thanks

IIRC, most manufacturers don't share their RAW files, or share just enough to let Adobe use them, or does Adobe reverse engineer the RAW? I know Nikon still has 'parts' of their RAW data they don't share with anyone, so maybe that's what i'm thinking of.

Either way you cut it, I think Pentax is the only manufacturer that actually writes 'standard' DNG as a RAW option.

I'm a long time Mac user but I think Apple controls/ locks down their hardware (iPhones, iPads) far far too much. I don't know that I would trust Apple to provide a totally open system camera. Their hardware history simply does not suggest they would

The lockdown argument can go either way - you can argue the locked system promotes cohesiveness and harmony amongst apps (which it does) or you can argue it prevents you from doing what the heck you want to (which it also does!)

Frankly I'm glad the iPad is locked down (with a few exceptions - I hate the complete non-usage of, oh I dunno, FILE NAMES in apps like snap seed). Market and hardware fragmentation really hurts app reliability - visited the Android marketplace yet? Their app performance is all over the map, from "running great" to "crashes on startup", depending on what flavor of the week Android OS you're running (and hardware, which is also different, and UI overlay, which is also different!).

I do agree with the 'open camera' assumption - I don't see Apple ever doing so, and frankly I don't see them making a stand-alone camera anyway...that's what iPhones are for.

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #12 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Visuals wrote:
http://www.iphoneography.com/

Watched the video and was amazed at what you can do with the iphone!

Imagine if apple on they Iphone 5 made it so that the camera took raw photos?

Imagine apple hard ware with hundreds of apps that change lenses instantly ad your effects

This is getting crazy

Your thoughts!?

My thoughts are that the usual I hate Apple chorus will start singing their tune. Lots of people have a good time and produce some nice images with iPhone cameras, like Chase Jarvis for example. A friend of mine is putting on a gallery show with a couple other photograhers with iphone images.

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

sebboh wrote:
wait, is this different than what current camera makers do? the iphone is so much more open than any camera. i'm not saying i don't think that the iphone should be more open, just that you'd have to really work to make cameras less open than they currently are.

If Apple were to come out with their own proprietary raw format (yes, most cameras use proprietary raw formats except those using DNG) AND not share it with competing software vendors as current camera manufacturers do, then it would be different. This is just with regard to the suggested Apple raw and Apple dedicated camera in the OP, not iPhone/ iPad unless a raw format was added. Knowing Apple, a dedicated camera would not use a removable memory card but would use something like a Thunderbolt connection (instead of USB 2 or 3) and only work with the newest software version of OS X/ iPhoto/ Aperture.

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

cputeq wrote:
That wouldn't make much marketing sense - Apple's other hardware items work on the PC just fine, so I'm not sure why a camera would be locked into Mac-only usage.

It makes perfect marketing sense if it provides Apple with a way to monetize other hardware/ software they make versus easily providing a path for a user to use competing hardware/ software. Can you plug your iPad or iPhone into a PC and have it automatically sync your calendar, contacts, etc? Is iCal available for the PC? Address Book? Perhaps things have changed - I think it finally has as far as this type of syncing - but basic stuff like this used to be a pain unless you were using a Mac with an iPad/ iPhone AND using the most current version of iTunes. Not that I would have ever needed to plug my phone into my computer for these tasks anyway since everything updates automatically through Google - just like Apple's iCloud has finally caught up to I guess.

cputeq wrote:
Frankly I'm glad the iPad is locked down (with a few exceptions - I hate the complete non-usage of, oh I dunno, FILE NAMES in apps like snap seed). Market and hardware fragmentation really hurts app reliability - visited the Android marketplace yet? Their app performance is all over the map, from "running great" to "crashes on startup", depending on what flavor of the week Android OS you're running (and hardware, which is also different, and UI overlay, which is also different!).

I do agree with the 'open camera' assumption - I don't see Apple ever doing so, and frankly I
...Show more

Never ever have I experienced an issue where Android's openness resulted in any major user issue for me. In fact, quite the opposte (though I am a power user and someone who uses alternate roms - how many of those are floating around for the iPhone/ iPad?) On the other hand, the openness of the system has allowed me to do things an iPhone or iPad user could only dream of at the time the capability was easily doable on an Android device. I remember wirelessly printing pdf's, emails, word docs whatever from my Nexus One about two years ago. This was not a capability on the iDevices at the time (I'm assuming it is now?) due to the closed system and Apples control. Same goes with using that same phone as a wireless hotspot for my sisters iPad around the same time. Again, something the iPhone finally added I believe. Still waiting on the free voice activated turn by turn navigation on the iPhone. I recall going into an Apple store at one time and asking how I turned on the free voice navigation feature. I said "with my Nexus One, I say "Navigate to wherever and the phone gives me turn by turn voice nav without even having to look at it - great for driving." I was told iPhone can't do that (again, unless it's finally been added and I missed it). Anyway, if the closed iDevice system was not always so far behind in functionality as compared to the open Android system, I would be all over it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:55 AM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #15 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

If Apple made a camera, it would be way overpriced for what it is, but very hip and trendy.

Feb 26, 2012 at 06:34 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Et Leica?
cputeq wrote:
Either way you cut it, I think Pentax is the only manufacturer that actually writes 'standard' DNG as a RAW option.

Feb 26, 2012 at 06:50 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.1 #17 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

a) from an app developers view point, android is... difficult, to say the least.

b) 99 % of users do not _want_ to root/jailbreak and install alternative roms (and there are quite a few out there for iphones Tariq), they want a phone that works out of the box and that is safe. The openness of the android marketplace is also what makes it less safe..

c) You guys really need to stop your emotional hate of apple get in the way of mature, rational arguments..

Feb 26, 2012 at 06:54 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

Didja mean APPLE?
ulrikft2 wrote:
c) You guys really need to stop your emotional hate of apple get in the way of mature, rational arguments..

Feb 26, 2012 at 07:01 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

ulrikft2 wrote:
a) from an app developers view point, android is... difficult, to say the least.

b) 99 % of users do not _want_ to root/jailbreak and install alternative roms (and there are quite a few out there for iphones Tariq), they want a phone that works out of the box and that is safe. The openness of the android marketplace is also what makes it less safe..

In the end, it comes down to functionality and control. How much ultimate functionality does a specific device (camera, smartphone, tablet whatever) have and who decides and controls said functionality...and the other side of that argument is what is lost when control is relinquished (funny to write this on the Alt forum where most of us usually prefer ease of adaptability!) . This is the relevance to the OP and criticism of the Apple way of doing things. Does the user, consumer and development community have this control or does the manufacturer maintain it with an iron fist grip and decide themselves when the user is allowed to use certain functionality. This is the rational, mature argument/ debate which addresses the OP vs some sort of ad hominem, personal attack! I have about seven Macs in my home and run OS X on a number of the PC's. I certainly don't "hate" Apple. So no, as a Mac user, in the end I think it a bad idea for Apple to make a dedicated camera. I suspect such a camera would lack certain functionality.

Feb 26, 2012 at 01:19 PM
alemmo
• •
p.1 #20 · What is APPLE made a camera!?

the fact that Apple locks down and controls the Iphone and Ipad is what makes them so great. I am on my 2nd android phone and it sucks. Apple makes great products that work smoothly and are easy to use. Android is on so many different systems with different hardware, etc that it has created a giant mess.... which is why even with so much competition Apple continues to soar.

Once my contract is over i'm going to the Iphone which i should have done in the first place.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password