Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Manfrotto 701HDV with Arca Swiss?

smcphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manfrotto 701HDV with Arca Swiss?

I'd like to buy the 701 fluid head for doing video work. My cameras have RRS L plates and my lens collar has the RRS plate. What's the best solution for mounting my Arca-swiss ready camera gear to this tripod head?

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manfrotto 701HDV with Arca Swiss?

For mounting the camera using the L plate, the Really Right Stuff B2 LR2 lever release clamp has threaded holes, and can be mounted directly on the plate that comes with the 701HDV. You can position the lever clamp on the plate toward the back, and then adjust the position of the plate within the 701 to get good balance for best performance of the tilting of the 701. Because you are using a lever release clamp, the low profile of the lever means that you can swing the lever to clamp or release the camera and it will not hit the camera body or the plate.

For mounting a lens with a lens plate, you need to position the lever release clamp rotated 90 degrees from the camera orientation, which is also possible with the B2 LR 2. That change over is not too hard, but is practical. The only down to this solution using the RRS clamp is that the B2 LR2 is expensive at $120.

Alternatives would include finding a lower cost clamp that can be attached to the plate either directly or by adapting a clamp with a small flat metal part with threaded holes in it. But for any clamp besides the RRS lever clamp, you need to worry about clearance of the screw knob or the lever of other brands of lever clamp. With a screw clamp, one way to handle the clearence issue is to have the knob hang over the back of the plate, which will limit possible positions, but may work out.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:04 AM
Scott T
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manfrotto 701HDV with Arca Swiss?

The manfrotto plate attaches quickly...if you just want to to keep the RRS plates on your camera, you can always use the screw mount on the bottom of them to attach to the 701 plate.

On a side note, you might check out the heads in person, the 701 is a little small for a dslr and lens, the 501 is a lot beefier and a nicer size, it is not much more expensive.

Feb 26, 2012 at 06:50 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password