Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

Over the past year I've been thinking of getting into doing some video for my presentations. I like to photo trains at night and often use big flash set ups to catch them on the fly. I could make a short video showing how I do this to go along with a presentation of the photos. I do not want to put a ton of money into this as I am thinking Nikon will soon be releasing a camera to replace my current D300. It just doesn't seem like it will be soon enough for my next presentation in late April.

For a camera, I'm thinking of the D5100. It will do double duty as a back up camera to my D300. I like the D5100 compact size for travel, it's flip out screen, it's 16mp sensor, and microphone jack. I also like the price--$530 on eBay (used/refurb.) Sound is VERY important to me. I want to capture the sound of a train approaching at night, in the darkness. I've found two options. One is the Sennheiser MKE 400, the other is the Nikon ME-1. Both go for around $150 or less on eBay. I'm open to suggestions. Software is now an essential part of photography. I'm thinking of Adobe Premiere 10.0, about $100. I use CS5 for photo processing. I already have a solid tripod, a wooden Berlebach, but am clueless on fluid/video heads. I can buy a less expensive Manfrotto and convert it to A/S quick release so I can also use camera on my AcraTech head. (I loathe Bogen QR plates!) Not sure what SD card to buy for video, or if I need a windsock on the mic.

My goal is to put together a flexible, compact, inexpensive decent basic system to use outdoors at night. Camera will do double duty as a back up body. I know a D400 or whatever actually replaces D700 will have video, but those don't seem to be coming soon enough. Even when they do, I will still want something like a D5100 for a back up body anyway. SO, any suggestions? Run them buy me. I'm staying open to ideas as I don't really know video yet.

Kent in SD

Feb 25, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

Just got done reading some reviews. It's sounding like the Nikon mic won't really do what I want. The Sennheiser MKE-400 is sounding like a winner though!

Kent in SD

Feb 25, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #3 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

Watching this thread closely!

For a month I've been debating the same thing. I want manual control for video but was under the impression that the d5100 does not have manual control in this regard.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:01 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #4 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Shotgun Microphone or the stereo version. Turn the volume down to level one on the camera and control the levels using the mic.

But unless you mount the mic off camera (at least 7 or 8' away) you'll have to use manual focus as the autofocus will ruin the audio. One way around this is to use a lens with lots of DOF and use the AF on S. But I prefer manual focus.

The D7000 is a better platform for manual focus.

And you might want to get something like the Hoodman Cinima Loop as focusing without one especially at night might be hard.

And a finally thing is make sure our computer and video card are up to ACHD processing. For me even a fast 4 core was not enough. And make sure your CPU runs cool under full load for extended times.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

I've been shooting intensively at night for six years now (with DSLR.) I have the focus in the dark problem licked! For my first videos, what I have in mind is just placing the camera on a tripod, turn it on, and then go do my thing with my D300 while the video is rolling. I do have an AMD quad core, 8gb RAM, Radeon 6870 video card with 1gb. I've just got done having that card installed and also extra cooling added. I agree the D7000 would be better, but I'm keeping costs down. I'm thinking that Nikon will soon be releasing either a D300 or D700 replacement, and I'll buy one of those two. Either will have great video. The D5100 will then fall into back up role, and double as my compact family outing/airline travel camera. The Rode mic sounds like my new leader! It's very windy here in the Dakotas. Think the sock that comes with the mic will be good enough?

Kent in SD

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:55 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

Deadcat http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392861-REG/Rode_DEAD_CAT_Dead_Cat_Wind_Muff.html for the microphone wind cover. I have the Rode VideoMic (mono version) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html and mounted it on the camera, and shot bands with that and the Tamron 17-50 on my D300s. Big difference over the built in microphone for sure. I want to pick up the stereo version later on though.

Feb 25, 2012 at 09:02 PM
pja7

p.1 #7 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

thatnikonguy on YouTube does all his videos with a D5100 and a Sennheiser mic and he churns them out on an industrial scale. The quality does seem very good.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Need Advice: Intro to Nikon & Video

thatnikonuy is the KenRockwell of youtube!

Anyhoo, Rode!

The orginal Rode Stereo Mic is another option. Though it's twice more expsensive than theRode VideoMic (mono) it is one of the best steromics in it's class.

The only issue you'll have is the rubber bands for the suspension will wear out. No big deal.

The StreoMic does very well with ambient sound, but has excellent suppression of noise from behind the mic.

The mono Videomic is best if you need to isolate sounds at more of a distance.

Rode also have a new Videomic Pro and Stereo Videomic Pro (starting to sound like an advertisment).

If nothing else Rode TV is worth watching. Here's one video.

http://www.creativemayhem.com.au/index.php/2012/02/26/slr-video-mics-from-rode/

PS The Rodes are Australian, probably the only thing that we make better than anyone else for the money. Oh and pavlova, even though it's a Kiwi recipe.

Feb 26, 2012 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password