Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

geniousc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

I'm thinking of adding a quick release clamp to my Markins M10. I have 2 RRS BH's already equipped with RRS clamps. I was wondering if the Markins one is worth a look, it is pretty cost effective considering Ca. sales tax etc. I have RRS and Kirk plates, nothing oddball or out of tolerance that will give problems. Any comments or suggestions?
gene

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

the markins gives adjustability
the RRS gives repeatability and no adjustment necessary (that is if all your plates are the same)

i use RRS plates primarily because they deliver precision and the most usability across their entire line. i have been using the RRS lever since it came out.( over 5 years now. originally on a markins as then they did not yet have their own ballhead.

now having adjustability in this case can be a 2 bladed sword. some will constantly play with the adjustment and it can go either way too tight or end up too loose. gotta find that sweet spot. i have yet to need to adjust or have my clamps adjusted.

Feb 25, 2012 at 02:57 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Good points. I already have 2 RRS lever clamps, I'm really trying to save about $25 and come up with something just as good. All of my plates are the same essentially. No problems with any of them on RRS clamps. I guess I'm looking for someone to say, yeah, go for it, it's essentially the same or as good. Adjustments don't bother me, it wouldn't be a problem.

Feb 25, 2012 at 03:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

is saving $25 a good enough reason to introducing a variable. you have 2 that work well. a consistance of function. a tool you are used to working with knowing that it will work w/o needing to really think about using other then a familiar feel in its throw and position.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

I asked myself the same thing and will order another RRS. Thanks...

Feb 25, 2012 at 03:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

and then there were three

Feb 25, 2012 at 05:47 PM
wilco23
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Try sunwayfoto quick release clamp. I like more than RRS and Markins. You will see difference when you get chance to try.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Thanks for the advice.

Feb 27, 2012 at 01:21 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

sjms wrote:
the RRS gives repeatability and no adjustment necessary (that is if all your plates are the same)

My only experience with RRS clamps is the BH-40, both mine and a friend's. The one consistently repeatable thing is that both tend to get stuck in the closed position. The "washers" they use for shimming were catching on the lip of the movable jaw. Adding a dab of graphite lubricant alleviated the problem. I have gotten used to it by now and it is not as annoying. Maybe because the BH-40 is on my light tripod which I do not use as often.

I also own a Markins Q10 with the Markins QR clamp. I can't say that there is any significant difference in usability or functionality. Some have suggested that since the Markins lever does not tuck under the camera plate when closed it is less secure. This is not my experience, I always have the lever on the side of the tripod away from my body, and it has never caught on anything. The force required to open either the Markins or the RRS lever is such that I can't see how you can accidentally do it.

Finally, the low profile of the BH-40 is an acquired taste. I personally much prefer the full profile of the Q10 for frequent use. Frankly, there is not much difference between the two, just get whatever is easier. If you already have RRS and like them, stick with them. Otherwise flip a coin.

Mar 11, 2012 at 08:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

yet another variable

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

wilco23 wrote:
Try sunwayfoto quick release clamp. I like more than RRS and Markins. You will see difference when you get chance to try.

I just started using a 60mm SunwayFoto leverclamp. At $72 delivered, it was too tempting not to try.

On another thread, someone (who only uses RSS) warned that with an adjustable clamp, it might be dangerous that the user has to decide "how tight is correct."

This seems like a valid concern, until you actually use one of these. I use RSS plates on all my gear, including an L-plate for my 5D, and had no problem quickly adjusting the Sunway clamp for a perfect & secure fit. It's very obvious when you are getting to the point of "too tight," so then you just back off a little bit. You can back of a LOT before anything gets too loose for comfort, there's a very wide window of useability there, so I am quite confident about the setting being safe.

Afterwards, I put a small dab of "Goop" glue on the adjuster, so it's not going to change.

These clamps don't look as nice as the RSS, Kirk, etc, but they work great, and feel good to the fingers.
The safety-catch also works perfectly, you can't open this thing by mistake or by catching it on something.

I don't see any reason to spend more, unless it turns out that these wear over time. It seems very well machined, so I don't expect that to be the case.

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:02 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

I switched to Acratech last year when they introduced their lever. I prefer it to the RRS lever. It is adjustable, locks and is very easy to use, even with gloves.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Wow Acratech used to be much cheaper than RRS. Not any more.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Kris,

The Acratech clamp features "a detent pin for extra security."

This sort of sounds like a good idea, and my clamp doesn't have one. What exactly does this do? I assume it keeps the camera from sliding out by mistake, but then, if I open the lever, I WANT the camera to slide out.

As far as the camera sliding off the other side, I always use an RRS safety-stop on my plates, for easy centering) so that's not an issue.

Can you explain it? (They don't)

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:06 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Adjustability is not something I think you want in a clamp. What you want is repeatability in the plates so that they all work the same. If you have to adjust the clamp for one plate then it's going to be an imperfect fit in the others. If you have all RRS plates, then get the RRS clamp. That's a combination that's really hard to beat.

J.

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

The detent pin is really not needed for the Acratech lever clamp. You open up the clamp and set the camera or lens in, and then close it. It doesn't get in the way and as far as I can tell, doesn't have much of a purpose either.

The locking feature is what switched me from RRS clamps. It is just more secure and I don't need to worry about it accidentally coming open.

As for having an adjustable clamp. It's wonderful. You just adjust the clamp once. There is a tiny sweet spot that allows me to have my RRS & Kirk L brakets and and all my lens plates perfect. The Kirk is a little tight on the RRS and in some cases, I prefer the Kirk plates over the RRS.

The gimbal feature is way cool for lenses like the Canon 100-400. I just got the Acratech Ultimate v2 ballhead this week. It has the lever release AND the gimbal feature!

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:40 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

I've used the RRS clamps pretty much since they were put on the market. I even use them on my monopod. I've never had one come undone or even come close. A lock is not needed and it won't come open accidentally. It's almost impossible to hook them with something given where they are with respect to the camera (under the lens either on the side or directly underneath).

J.

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:29 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

sjms wrote:
the markins gives adjustability

i use RRS plates primarily because they deliver precision and the most usability across their entire line. i have been using the RRS lever since it came out.( over 5 years now. originally on a markins as then they did not yet have their own ballhead.

now having adjustability in this case can be a 2 bladed sword. some will constantly play with the adjustment and it can go either way too tight or end up too loose. gotta find that sweet
...Show more

+1 on RRS

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Kris Reiswig wrote:
The detent pin is really not needed for the Acratech lever clamp. You open up the clamp and set the camera or lens in, and then close it. It doesn't get in the way and as far as I can tell, doesn't have much of a purpose either.

Well, yeah, that's kind of how I see it, but it MUST have a purpose or they wouldn't have it on there.

Anyone know?

Is it just to keep the camera from sliding off the other side of the clamp?

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:39 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Markins Vs. RRS quick release clamps

Cableaddict wrote:
Well, yeah, that's kind of how I see it, but it MUST have a purpose or they wouldn't have it on there. Anyone know? Is it just to keep the camera from sliding off the other side of the clamp?

Yes, it's a spring loaded safety detent pin that catches in the cutout under the plate if the clamp becomes loose. It's absolutely essential as many L-plates don't have safety stops or even threaded sockets for them.

I've stayed out of this thread 'cos I'm in a cult: the Markins clamps cult.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password