New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

I use a variety of CF cards and to be quite honest in a 5d2 they write so fast that almost any card sees the preview image on the lcd by the time you look down at it.
You might have read my previous posts regarding obtaining a 1ds and the camera is almost as mint as it was when I sold it on 8 years ago

Q. Is it an internal problem( design) that makes the 1ds so slow when shooting raws or do you think things could be improved by a better card. At present I use a Duracell 32Gb CF in my 5d2 + various 16Gb cards by the likes of Transend and it is very fast. My more expensive cards are my 2 Sandisk Extreme1V 8Gb cards that I have been using in the 1ds and of course no surprises from before the write speed is abysmal compared to more modern cameras.
Anyone got any experience using the 1ds with something like the new 60Mbs Sandisk cards?? and will the 1ds read those cards OK or any other card suggestions.
I don`t mind paying out for a more modern and faster card for the 1ds provided there are decent benefits.

Thanks

Feb 24, 2012 at 05:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

Dave the camera is the bottleneck . you can stick as fast a card in as you like but it won write any quicker
If you look at the RG database (i know its not upto date) you will see at what point the camera just cant write any quicker.

and then it can actually be worse with new cards. Most/All cards are UDMA now but old bodies cant write to UDMA so the cards are also backward compatible . but if that compatibility is not so good the speeds can actually be less than with the old 'slow' non udma cards

so compared to your nice fast 5D2 anything will seem glacial.

Feb 24, 2012 at 06:05 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Dave the camera is the bottleneck . you can stick as fast a card in as you like but it won write any quicker
If you look at the RG database (i know its not upto date) you will see at what point the camera just cant write any quicker.

and then it can actually be worse with new cards. Most/All cards are UDMA now but old bodies cant write to UDMA so the cards are also backward compatible . but if that compatibility is not so good the speeds can actually be less than with the old 'slow' non udma cards
...Show more
Thanks Ian
One of my problems is that I use Breeze to view my shoots( I don`t want to change) with the 1ds if you don`t have the camera set to raw+Jpeg and you want to view the larger file then you have to wait each time for BB to convert the raw whereas if you shoot raw+ j peg it uses the J peg to give the large view. What I`ve got used to doing is shooting raw+ L fine J peg. I just did some testing Sandisk extreme 1V 8 Gb raw + L J peg takes 20 secs for the red write light to go out but with raw + S J peg it goes out in 12 secs so that will have to be the way I go I suppose. Out of interest my 32Gb Duracell 60Mbs card only beats the sandisk by 2 secs on both configurations so you are on the button with it being the camera that bottlenecks. Don`t get me wrong, I knew this camera was a PITA for everything but IQ but you have to try

Feb 24, 2012 at 06:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

The 1Ds only writes at 2MB/sec. There is nothing you can do about that.

EBH

Feb 24, 2012 at 06:19 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

EB-1 wrote:
The 1Ds only writes at 2MB/sec. There is nothing you can do about that.

EBH
Thanks EB

Feb 24, 2012 at 06:20 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

What I hadn`t realised (should always read the book) is that you can set the review with info to come up rather than just the review So that cuts down the time waiting. Not bothered about the image( that you can hardly see anyway on the 1ds) but need a quick glimpse of the histo.

Feb 24, 2012 at 09:10 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · pros and cons on CF card for 1ds

Basically, use your slowest (reliable) 8GB CF card and you'll be covered for all normal shooting.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.