Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Silent Sentinel in the Fog

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Silent Sentinel in the Fog

OK, tear it up

Feb 23, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Silent Sentinel in the Fog

I would but then we'd have an over-processed mess

I like the muted tones but I want to see more and have no idea what. Perhaps extending to the right or cropping a portion of the sky from top?

Bob

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Silent Sentinel in the Fog

I think that I shall never see,
a sight as lovely as as tree....

The problem is I've seen it a thousand times in every beginning photographer's portfolio. So the problem here isn't that it isn't a good foggy day tree shot, but rather its not any new interpretation that warrants more than cursory glance and sets it apart.

Think about the "sentinel" title you gave it and what is seen in the photo. What is the tree protecting? Is it seen in the photo in the foreground or background? Looks more like Papa with the twins in tow, with the third sibling looking suspiciously different, like it was adopted or mom went nuts with the mailman...

Compositionally lining elements up like ducks in a row sends the viewer on a one way trip from the object which contrasts the most in tone, size, color, sharpness off into infinity. That's far less interesting that a photo where the elements are arranged in a triangle or other odd number of focal points around the frame that will tend to pull the eye around the photo in a circle back to the strongest focal point on a different path. The problem with linear paths is that even if the viewer does go back for a second look at the more compelling center of interest they wind up backtracking over things they've already seen. That's redundant and boring...

See the edit I did on this photo which had the same "duck in a row" composition of elements in the original..
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1088397/0#10374333

Photos with something large in the foreground like that one grab attention more. So for example of you had the large tree in the foreground with the smaller ones and a house it provides shade to seen directly behind it the Sentinel title would make more sense and all the elements in the photo would be more unified. The viewer would be pulled into the center core of the photo not invited to exit, stage right ---- >>>>>> by the ducks in a row.

That's not to say the "ducks in a row" alignment never works, but there needs to be something interesting at the end of the eye path to reward the viewer for following the ducks.

Feb 24, 2012 at 01:23 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Silent Sentinel in the Fog

Thank you for your thoughts, it's not easy to bring all the elements together when so dependent upon Ma Nature.
Douglas

Feb 28, 2012 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password