FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2012 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

I'm thinking that the only practical way to do this would be to replace the back, which would make all kinds of things possible, but the project somewhat less visually attractive. Ultimately, I am happy just to shoot film once in a while to get that feeling back.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Jewced
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

Right on. I think as computer chips get smaller and smaller a digital back might be more possible. Just replace the back like the picture in the OP. I'd buy one if they were cheap and produced high-quality images. If I could get one for my F5 that was cheaper than upgrading my digital body to a pro body I would for sure, but I don't think it's a realistic hope.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

I can't imagine anyone making one any more. Maybe there was a day when the business proposal might have made some kind of sense, but given the low price of decent digital bodies these days, I don't think many people would buy one. Even if I did end up buying the FM2(n) I am eyeing, and even if someone did make a replaceable digital back for it at a good price, say 500 Euro or somewhere around there (the cost of a decent entry-level APS-C DSLR), I am still not sure if I would buy it. And I don't think that the 500 Euro is even a realistic price due to the reasons I have listed earlier in the thread. The body would need a full overhaul which could easily cost more, before the back could even be dropped on.

If I ever get independently wealthy, the likelihood of which drops every day, I might buy an R9+DMR setup. I always liked that combo, but the price was not in the right range for me at the time, and by the time I could afford it, there were better options around (well, better according to highly subjective reasons, so IMO I guess).

Feb 26, 2012 at 05:59 PM
shortarms

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/17/nikon-patents-a-digital-back-for-35mm-film-slr-cameras.aspx/

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:19 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

shortarms wrote:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/17/nikon-patents-a-digital-back-for-35mm-film-slr-cameras.aspx/

Awesome. Who knows if they'll build it, but that's pretty cool.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

That would be a turning point and a blessing considering how everyone is into saving money today. But as many commentators say it might just be to prevent others from exploiting the idea and damaging Nikon's DSLR sales.
Eventually, when the sensors are cheap, someone will start doing this, I am awaiting that day!

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:28 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

I'd like to use old SLRs enough, digitally, that I'd probably be willing to spend quite a bit on this kind of thing. It sounds fun.

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:32 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

Something similar is already in the pipeline? Although not cheap.

http://www.alpa.ch/en/microsites/alpa_12_fps.html

Dec 18, 2012 at 03:34 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

As I would.
The old film bodies were perfect to me.

douglasf13 wrote:
I'd like to use old SLRs enough, digitally, that I'd probably be willing to spend quite a bit on this kind of thing. It sounds fun.

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:53 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

buggz2k wrote:
As I would.
The old film bodies were perfect to me.

+2

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:13 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

+3! FM2 standing ready...

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

+4!

F, F2, F3, F4, and F5... own and dig them all. Haven't owned an F6 yet though. The F6 would of course be the ultimate!

That or the OM4... Tho as this is from Nikon I'm assuming it won't be OM4 ready out of the box....

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:15 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

This would be a pretty sweet, small digital setup: link

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:27 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

Yup...

I certainly hope their plans are indeed to manufacture... and manufacture for a variety of bodies!

I wonder if it'll be for only the F6 tho... as that's their only currently supported and manufactured film body.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:36 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

I don't see this being viable for a conventional 35mm SLR. Too many different film models, and you'd need a different dedicated back for every model. Digital SLRs are widely available at cheap prices.

Besides, many film SLR users shoot film for the look rendered by film - using a digital back defeats the purpose - why not just mount your alternate lens to a digital body using an adapter?

Maybe if they targeted a particular camera model that was very popular with enthusiasts, with superb lenses (Leica perhaps?)

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:48 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

scottam10 wrote:
Besides, many film SLR users shoot film for the look rendered by film - using a digital back defeats the purpose - why not just mount your alternate lens to a digital body using an adapter?

because modern dslr bodies are nothing like old school film bodies. they just don't make em' like they used to when comes to build, ergonomics, and size.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:57 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

sebboh wrote:
because modern dslr bodies are nothing like old school film bodies. they just don't make em' like they used to when comes to build, ergonomics, and size.

and viewfinders.

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:00 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

Nikon patents revive the dream of a digital back for film SLR's:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/12/19/Nikon-patents-mechanism-for-mounting-and-aligning-sensor-in-film-slr

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

Already posted 14 posts above yours

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Digital back for 35mm cameras

I read this thread from start to finish...having woken up too early, again, with jetlag.

Apart from the technical/ design/ manufacturing challenges, the thread is more a commentary on human psychology than anything else (and I speak as a layman - I trained as an aeronautical engineer)

Poor Brian the OP seems to have left the building!

Re the Nikon patent, I would buy one. Now, can it be fitted to my Leicaflex SL, Canon EOS3, Contax N1, or 159?

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:19 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.