Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

DamonJoyce
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

I've heard conflicting reports on color shift with the CV15mm on the Nex-5N. Anyone have examples or thoughts? I tried searching, but I can't see any way to search inside threads on FM, just subject.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:53 PM
artur5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

This is my test of the CV15 with a NEX-5N.
I did it putting a white traslucent disc over the lens and aiming the camera to the sky, The white balance was customized for that light, in order to get a neutral colored center of the frame. Focus was at infinity.
As you see there's a noticeable, but not unbearable, color shift. It's blue-purple on the right side and somehow on the lower left, changing to blue-cyan on the upper left.
I tested also the lens at f/5.6 and f/8 but the results were essentially the same concerning color shift although the luminance vigneting was lower.
It's also probable that a different copy of the lens would perform a bit different, (purplish left sides and bluish on the right, for instance ).
IMHO, usually there's no need to apply Cornerfix for landscape work. Those deeper colored corners sometimes adds a pleasant effect to the pictures

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:27 PM
DamonJoyce
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

Thanks! That's really not bad at all. Was that the screw mount version, or the M-mount version?

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:40 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #4 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

Here's another, similar test:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068213

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:45 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

The color shift is pretty noticeable when you compare the lens on the 5N vs. the GXR. I prefer to correct it on the 5N.

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:39 PM
artur5
• •
p.1 #6 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

It is the LTM version, I don't think the M version will be different, Same optical design
Other tests with the lens focused to 0.5 mt. show less color shift, as expected, but I'm surprised that stopping down doesn't improves the effect at all, only attenuates a bit the luminance vigneting.

Feb 23, 2012 at 06:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

Douglas, I also see a touch of the same colour shift on the GXR... but don't bother to correct for it. The CV12 is less problematic. I recently posted about this on the GXR thread...

Artur, I suspect that's because the colour shift is directly related to the distance of the rear element from the sensor. Stopping down doesn't change this. As you've noted, only focusing closer will reduce the colour shift because it moves the rear element farther from the sensor.

Feb 24, 2012 at 01:57 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

I finally did some tests to see how much shift my ZM18 produces on the GXR - there's a little but it is hard to discern in real life photos except for the vignetting making you aware there is something going on in the corners. The ZM25 has a little shift and some vignetting in larger apertures as well. The ZM35 not very much shift at all... I doubt I'd ever notice it in actual use.

Played with the in camera correction too but not sure I'll bother enabling this very often; maybe for one of the My1/2/3 settings I'll set it up for the ZM18 though I worry I'll leave it on that setting after switching lenses. In post when necessary would be safer.

I remember seeing some shift on the 25 with the NEX-5N but while I had the NEX didn't run into a situation where I felt compelled to correct it.

Being lazy today I used a 24" Dell LCD panel with an all-white foreground as my light source, lens quite close, focus on infinity, +2 EV. After I reshoot the tests for all my wides, using the sky and tissues or some other method, I'll post a series somewhere as long as the result is the same.

Feb 24, 2012 at 05:37 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

I also thought I could use my 27" iMac with an all-white screen for this purpose, but with wide lenses very close it seemed to exaggerate vignetting and I'm not sure it gives an accurate idea of edge colour shift.

Feb 25, 2012 at 02:49 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

I haven't had any luck using my computer screen, either. Using a white tissue over the lens has worked well, for me.

Feb 25, 2012 at 03:43 AM
LeeW

p.1 #11 · 15mm Heliar colorshift on Nex-5N?

Hi All,

I a new owner of the 5N & the CV 15mm. I had a chance to take them out for a test spin today. This is image is a straight convert from RAW ( a tweak with levels, saturation & sharpness) but no Cornerfix.

A very slight cast I think but nothing to be concerned with. I wouldn't even bother putting this through cornerfix.

Cheers,

Lee

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password