Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Garrick L
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Just completed my website and would love to hear some feedback how you think it turned out, ease of navigation, content etc. A few images are place holders just to prove the albums are live.

http://garrickliddellphotography.com/index.html

Cheers,

Garrick Liddell Photography

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:49 AM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Nice pictures Garrick.
Once I get into a specific page, I keep scrolling to the right to see the picture. May be you can display in percentage than in pixels to fit any specific screen viewing size. That way you can fill the screen.

The logo on the left seem to be dominating the right side picture. May be bring the size down a bit to keep the emphasis on the pictures.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck and Wish you all the best!

-Perla

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Thank you Perla, I apprciate the feedback

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:49 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Garrick L wrote:
Just completed my website and would love to hear some feedback how you think it turned out, ease of navigation, content etc. A few images are place holders just to prove the albums are live.

http://garrickliddellphotography.com/index.html

Cheers,

Garrick Liddell Photography

I'll just give you a quick bit of feedback on the home page. Since your product and identity involves visual material and specifically photography, I was surprised that the home page was essentially a black rectangle with some text on it. I think it would be more effective to build on your identify as a photographer by including some photography on the home page.

Dan

Feb 23, 2012 at 03:17 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

I love the sunset photo.
I agree with Dan. I was a bit confused by the black rectangle too. Why not a photo thumbnail of yourself as well as photographs.

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:00 AM
astv99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Good start with your site. Here are some things I've noticed:

- The home page isn't completely viewable in my Web browser at 1280x1024 and requires horizontal scrolling. No Web site should require any horizontal scrolling at 1280x1024.
- The logo & links menu (the "black rectangle") on the home page takes up far too much vertical space. It could be compacted to show much more of the background photo.
- IMO, if you're going to put a photo on your home page, at least most of it should be viewable at a reasonable size, if not all of it. (Example: http://danballardphotography.com/)
- Too much black in general on the site.
- The links menu shifts position and orientation across multiple pages (About, Gallery, Pricing, Contact). It should stay at the same position on every page for consistency.
- The "Facebook" and "Google Plus" links could be moved to your Contact page and replaced with the conventional graphical icons.
- More graphics elements across the site would help, as it feels like there's too much text.

I'm not really aware of many pro nature/landscape photographers but one example of a well-organized site is Nat Coalson's: http://www.natcoalson.com/

Edited on Feb 23, 2012 at 04:07 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:05 AM
b tamboli

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Check the spelling and grammar in Google Plus.

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:06 AM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

You have some excellent suggestions already, I to have a problem with the black reader board front page, how about making it translucent so that your shot will shine through. Rick

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ucphotog
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

I must be the classic "non-standard" user, nonetheless... Think of me as one of the idiots that makes idiot proofing so hard.

If you go to the front page, hold your mouse over the "gallery" button, you get a drop down. If you follow a link, say sunsets, you get a layout with the photo to the right and the menu options to the left. I think that works well.

However, if you *click* Gallery rather than *mouse over and select* gallery, you end up with the menu options and logo centered and at the top. That means that even on a 1900x1200 screen, the images are half-way down the page and you need to scroll down to see them. Not very convenient for the user.

As to the black box, it might work if it was smaller. Much, much smaller. The idea of translucent sounds good, though I suppose the proof would be in the pudding.

So, if people do what is expected, I think it looks nice. However, if they do as I did and click rather than mouse over, the experience is at least somewhat diminished.

Oh, and nice photos by the way.

Feb 23, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Your Flash animation doesn't work on my MAC / Safari...

- Heinz

Feb 23, 2012 at 06:45 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Your Flash animation doesn't work on my MAC / Safari...

Me too. After Landscapes the other selections stay on the same photo. Comes in, sort of fades out, then comes back on as the process repeats endlessly. I also don't like the large black box on the opening screen with a landscape behind it almost completely obstructed, or the timer for each photo. Let the viewer decide. Other than that, beautiful photos from what I could see.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Some great feedback, thank you all for taking the time, I appreciate it!

-Garrick

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:50 PM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

First thing is there are too many galleries. sunset/rise and landscapes should be one. More photos are needed in People.

Feb 23, 2012 at 05:07 PM
harleyman
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Logo is a bit overbearing ... nonetheless I like actual logo

Feb 23, 2012 at 05:13 PM
larryt
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

On your logo I would like to see ether your name or photography in plain text ( not both ) and different sizes. it would be more visually pleasing. I am a retired sign maker.
Larryt

Feb 24, 2012 at 01:10 AM
fusiongt
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just finished my website, feedback greatly appreciated!

Right off the bat, on the first splash page, I think you would be better off without it. Instead, just dive right into your information about you or basically whatever you want the viewer to see. Perhaps ways to contact you, examples of your images, etc. The attention span of viewers is really just a few seconds so you have to catch their attention right away and forcing them to click elsewhere to find what they want is not going to help.

Feb 24, 2012 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password