Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              8       9       end

Archive 2012 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Bumping things along:

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:09 AM
twelveish

p.5 #2 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Not much action for the x10 around here I take it? Thought I'd give this a bump and see what happens. Anyway, like for many others it was love at first touch for me. Read up on it (and all its quirks) for a couple of days and decided I would take the plunge and see how we get along. My initial impression is that it's an absolute joy to shoot with and that I found myself thinking that it challenges me a bit as a photographer. It makes me think a bit more than usual about what I'm doing, and I like that. I've always thought that working with limitations can often be the best boost for creativity. No chance for portraits with this camera yet but I'm thinking I would likely go for a tight framing, zoomed in all the way. And go for a BW edit most of the time. Looks good in my head, so to speak, but time will tell.

Anyway, here are a few shots from my one and so far only time out with it. All processed from jpeg. I did try a couple of raw files in LR4 but, as others have reported, had no luck matching the jpegs in detail&sharpness. Maybe I'll try converting to tiff in SilkyPix and then having another go in LR later.

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:32 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Nice set twelveish- i haven't been through to stockholm for a while now. Really should make the effort.

I was just organising a bump on the thread myself...

They say the best camera is the one you have with you, and that's where the X10 scores over my SLR - its always with me:

Edited on Sep 23, 2012 at 05:23 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:26 PM
twelveish

p.5 #4 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Wow, your first pic is fantastic. Perfect composition.

15Bit wrote:
They say the best camera is the one you have with you, and that's where the X10 scores over my SLR - its always with me

Oh yes. And I thought my Nex were gonna do that for me. Turns out I still wanted something even smaller/less obtrusive without the need to switch lenses (I use almost entirely primes). Sure, I could have gotten the E-mount kit lens, but the X10 is just way more fun. I felt like indulging a little and asked myself if I deserved one. Turns out I did

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:32 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #5 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Thanks twelveish. As they say - If you like that, you might like this too. Another from the airport:

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:39 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.5 #6 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit wrote:
Nice set twelveish- i haven't been through to stockholm for a while now. Really should make the effort.

I was just organising a bump on the thread myself...

They say the best camera is the one you have with you, and that's where the X10 scores over my SLR - its always with me:

Wow, that aircraft shot is awesome. You could sell that to KLM.

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:07 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.5 #7 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:09 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

rattymouse wrote:
Wow, that aircraft shot is awesome. You could sell that to KLM.

Thanks. It was just an opportunistic shot...

How did you process those insect/flower macros, if i may ask?

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:44 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.5 #9 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit wrote:
Thanks. It was just an opportunistic shot...

How did you process those insect/flower macros, if i may ask?

Not much....just sharpening in Lightroom 4, and maybe a tiny bump in contrast. Very little work done on those.

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:58 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #10 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

I thought so - you have the same sharpening artefacts that plague me also. Try turning down the detail slider to almost nothing and work from there - it seems to be that which causes the mottling on the images i find. The masking slider can also help a lot.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #11 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

And a couple from town this morning. The jpegs straight from the camera were pretty good, so all i needed to do was crop them and add a little contrast to taste. I think my DSLR (canon 5D) would probably have coped better with the sun, but for what it is i continue to be impressed with the X10.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:09 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.5 #12 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit wrote:
I thought so - you have the same sharpening artefacts that plague me also. Try turning down the detail slider to almost nothing and work from there - it seems to be that which causes the mottling on the images i find. The masking slider can also help a lot.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:48 PM
twelveish

p.5 #13 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

15Bit wrote:

Yes that seems to be the general consensus on how to get the most out of the raws in LR4. Personally I've still not been able to match the jpegs but my only real comparison was on the architecture&bridge shot I posted above. Fine detail was particularly important in that. My X10 needs to go back for the sensor replacement but from the little time I've had with it, I too am impressed with it thus far.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:06 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #14 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

twelveish wrote:
Yes that seems to be the general consensus on how to get the most out of the raws in LR4. Personally I've still not been able to match the jpegs but my only real comparison was on the architecture&bridge shot I posted above. Fine detail was particularly important in that. My X10 needs to go back for the sensor replacement but from the little time I've had with it, I too am impressed with it thus far.

I've not managed to match the jpegs for sharpness and detail either. Got reasonably close, but definitely not there. I have a feeling that only way to get RAW's as good as the in camera jpegs is to do time-consuming selective sharpening in photoshop with layers etc. I still prefer to use the RAWs for PP that involves more than a bit of curves work, but i'm not sure if i really gain much by putting the extra effort in.

I should also return mine for a sensor replacement, but i'm not sure how to do that here,

A touch of autumn, just to keep the pictures coming.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:23 AM
twelveish

p.5 #15 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Great composition. So, fall colors eh? I'll play

Somehow flickr steals quite a bit of the colors in my files. Bummer.

And a couple of something a bit different. Not sure about the PP on this first one. Had a clear idea, but... maybe too much sharpening?

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:59 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #16 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Nice twelveish. The B&W looks good to me, perhaps just needing a little tweak of the highlights slider?

My main problem with flickr isn't the colours, its the auto sharpening.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:53 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.5 #17 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

Oct 13, 2012 at 02:22 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #18 · Fujifilm X10 Thread

A few flowers:

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:34 AM