Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

gspiridakis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

Suggestions on aftermarket telephoto (300mm and more) lenses for Canon bodies?

I recently saw in the Nikon forum some comments about the Minolta AF 400 f/4,5 HS APO G lens, and i was suprised about its specifications. Some articles i 've read write some really good comments about the sharpness and other characteristics, and this lens is generally lightweight for a big telephoto lens, weighting 1920grams...
Anyone who owns or used or knows this lens, can it fit on a Canon body, or it's only for Sony and Nikon??
Recently i was searching the best lightweight telephoto lens for hiking, and i stack on the Canon 300 f/4L IS, but seeing this one, i figured that there might be more less known options (bedides Sigma, Tamron etc.) for a lens like that from brands i don't know..

That Minolta AF 400 looks really good, and although a bit old, it may be really sharp and quite cheaper than other like Canon 300 f/2,8L IS, 400 f/4 DO, and similar focal lenghts lenses..

I really hope it can fit Canon bodies..
George

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

At long focal length you want auto focus.
manual focus would be quite difficult if subject is moving

You should read reviews. Here are a few options:

Sigma 150-500 mm F5-6.3 Canon mount (auto focus) <<< slow lens, would need good light
Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG Canon mount (auto focus)

Why not just get a Canon lens?
very difficult to beat Canon 300mm F4 IS, Canon 400mm F5.6
If you want a zoom, then Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

The Minolta can't fit on a Canon body, or even Nikon for that matter, without substantial mods, or an adapter with optics in it. OTOH, the Nikkor ED 500/4P is fantastic on Canon DSLR for static subjects, but it's a great big, heavy super-tele.

It sounds like the 300/4L IS that both you and 'abq' mentioned would be a good solution. OTOH, I used to have a 300/4L IS (a very fine lens), but I recently sold it and got a new 100-400L IS. The zoom is way more flexible, just as sharp, and only a tad heavier than the 300/4L IS - the weight difference is less than an EF 1.4x Extender.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM
gspiridakis

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

'abqnmusa' I am a little concerned about Sigma lesnes.
I read some quite goog posts and reviews about the 50-500 but the fact of f/6,3 aperture (which starts at quite low focal lenght, about 200mmm i think) makes me to exclude it as a choice.
The Sigma 300 f/2,8 might be good, but it will need an extender so the weight will also go high, as well as its price.

'jcolwell', thanks about the info for the Minolta 400. The aperture, focal lenght, size, weight and price are almost ideal as a choice for traveling and hiking, too bad it can't be supported on Canon body.
I know the Canon 300 f/4L IS is probably the best choice i need, but i really wonder if there are other less known lenses available, from other companies.
Thanks for your opinions and help,
George

Feb 23, 2012 at 03:43 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

If you want 400, good, light and cheap, you are going to be out of luck.

Tamron 70-300 will get you to 300 and is pretty good for an inexpensive lens. The Canon 70-300 is also an option. Neither is stellar, but should do just fine for hiking.

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

I dont know how much the minolta is but if you look at another thread going at the moment you will see it is possible to mod the minolta mount . so thats one option.

but other than that , ALT mounts that are easy to fit to EF .
Nikon, Olympus & Pentax are 3 very easy candidates. you can normally see some very nice bitsof nikon fast tele glass around (300/2 anyone ) but even though they are old and non AF you never normally see real cheap bargains . One reason for this is the ease with which they fit the new Mirrorless systems. Decent Live view focusing and loads want cheap long stuff
A good example is the old FD glass. a few years ago you could see some real bargains . But now long FD lenses are quite expensive.
FD does not fit EF without either an adapter that has glass in (the OEM canon one is very expensive and the cheap versions are usually crap) or a glassless adapter that keeps the quality but you loose infinty focus.
You can mod some lenses to fit but its not easy.

so your other option is to find cheaper AF teles.
Sigma have a couple of good options. 300/2.8 HSM & 500/4.5 HSM are very good quality.
the older (non OS) 120-300/2.8 can be had for good money . and the new OS version is a real bargain compared to other 300/2.8 options.
you may also find some fair priced Canon glass . the non IS 300/2.8 is a very nice optic . the only downside is the AF drive is like the 200/1.8 so if the AF fails you dont even have MF . the 400/2.8 (NON IS) is very nice also (ver2 much better then the ver1) . and also the 500/4.5 can hol;d its own against the new glass .

But at the end of the day the 400/5.6 takes alot of beating. both of your bodies will push high into the upper ISO ranges so unless your focusing in the dark it should be a consideration . And lets face it with any of the MF alt glass you would want Live view for hard to focus times anyway so you could MF a 400/5.6 just as easily.

Feb 23, 2012 at 04:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

There is (or at least was) a Sigma 100-300mm f/4. Reported to be pretty good quality but rather affordable at the same time. It was discontinued some time ago but the hypothetic successor with stabilization hasn't been announced yet.

Feb 23, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

The Canon 400/5,6 or 100-400 are really good for their rather low prices. If you buy them used they are even cheaper. No other brands longer than 300 lenses comes close to their performance/price. Sigma are your best option for other brands.
But according to your profile you already own the 500 IS lens

Feb 23, 2012 at 05:44 PM
gspiridakis

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

Lars,
of course i am not looking at a cheaper and as good lens as my Canon 500 f/4, but just asking about a smaller telephoto lens for travelling and hiking. I already ordered and wait for the Canon Ef 300 f/4 IS, but since i saw a Minolta lens at 400 and f/4,5 witch seems to have everything that i need, i wondered of there is something like this in the market for Canon bodies.
I owned the 100-400 but i didn't like some of its features (push-pull zoom, aperture and at some degree its somewhat slow AF) and so i sold it.
Also the 400 f/5,6 is a very good lens but lacks the IS that i want to have.
I hope the 300 f/4 will cover most of my needs when hiking.

In the meantime, i will be curious if there are some new or unknown alternatives.
George

Feb 23, 2012 at 06:21 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

Sigma make an excellent 100-300 f/4 EX HSM which is around 1.6kg IIRC and get's great reviews on IQ. But otherwise not much else available in semi-fast glass. Most Sigma and Tamron's are all f/6.3. Perosnally you can't go wrong with a 100-400L as a partner to 500L or if you prefer primes 400L is brilliant if you can get by without IS or the 300 f/4L IS also a superb lens

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ather brands for telephoto lenses for Canon bodies?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
.. Perosnally you can't go wrong with a 100-400L as a partner to 500L...

That's what I've settled on; for now.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password