New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

This past weekend my father in law handed down his pride and joy from a time long gone, his Konica film camera and three primes, two Minolta MD lenses and an MC Rokkor, given their age, they are all in mint condition, no surprise given their previous OCD owner.

Does anyone have any experience using these types of lenses through an adapter on an EOS body. I have a 50D, and purchased a Fotodiox adapter, not really all the pricey, just wondering how it will work in anticipation of it arriving.

I am going to try to get the film camera working again, I think it works, just need to play with it and figure it out. Been a really long time since I messed with a Konica Film camera.

TIA.

TR

Feb 22, 2012 at 08:28 AM
forrest5000
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

I've used Olympus OM lens on my Canons and they work find. The small view finder can make manual focusing difficult in low light.
John

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Thanks for the reply. I won't likely use them in low light, or on moving targets.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
mweddle
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

I've been wondering about this too. I'm interested to see some replies.

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:14 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

My adaptor ring shipped today, so maybe it will be here by Friday. Once it arrives I will take some pics of the adapter, and then with the lenses and post them back with my impressions. If it works...I think my father has 3 or 4 Minolta MD lenses from when I was a kid.

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:16 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

any chance of the 58/1.2 in that lot?
be sure to check that you wont hang the mirror by watching the rear element, make sure it doesn't protrude to far back.

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

I wish there was a 58 1.2, sadly, there was not. I don't know if my father might have one, I need to check next time I am up their way.

The set of three is a 24 or 28mm 2.8, can't remember which length it is, 50 1.7, and a 135 2.8. If nothing else, they will have sentimental value to both me and my wife, almost every picture her father took of her as she grew up, was done with one of these lenses and the camera body.

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:33 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Usage of vintage glasses and suitability/adaptability is very well documented in the Alt section and in this sticky thread. You can also find samples as well as conversion tips and reviews going a few years back.

In general, the "registration distance" on Minolta MD is 43.72mm, and Canon EOS is 44mm so it is a pretty tight fit, adapted Minolta MD lens often has difficulty clearing mirror for Full-Frame EOS bodies like 5D series(often near infinity focus distance) unless mirror has been shaved. But on EOS crop bodies like 50D, it might not be problem at all due to smaller mirror size. I am generalizing quite a bit but in reality it depends from lens to lens since each Minolta MD lens model mechanicals are differently designed.

Also, since you will be using as manual focus only on these lenses, having live view feature (which 50D has) makes life really easy when focus accuracy is needed.

I love the option of using wide range of legacy Alt lenses on EOS bodies and I have the feeling you might too.

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:36 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

I'm hardly the 'alt-est' guy but I have had 3 Minolta/EOS conversions (ala Jim Buchanan) in the form of a 35 1.8, 58 1.4, and most recently a MD Rokkor 50mm 1.2 (for sale elsewhere on this forum). They have been wonderfully sharp and more fun than I expected. My eyes aren't what they used to be (stupid progressive lenses, lol) but I bagged my share of keepers. I found the fully manual operation to be a methodical and relaxing experience. Enjoy them! The fact there is also a sentimental connection is a huge bonus...
-Cam

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

onegreatcity wrote:
I'm hardly the 'alt-est' guy but I have had 3 Minolta/EOS conversions (ala Jim Buchanan) in the form of a 35 1.8, 58 1.4, and most recently a MD Rokkor 50mm 1.2 (for sale elsewhere on this forum). They have been wonderfully sharp and more fun than I expected. My eyes aren't what they used to be (stupid progressive lenses, lol) but I bagged my share of keepers. I found the fully manual operation to be a methodical and relaxing experience. Enjoy them! The fact there is also a sentimental connection is a huge bonus...
-Cam

Did you have the conversions done, or buy them converted? If you had it done, and don't mind me asking, how much is it to have it converted?

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Minolta lenses will NOT work that well without a Jim Buchanan EOS mount conversion. The problem is that the adapters used to fit the minolta glass on the EOS body has a piece of glass in the adapter. So it will decrease the IQ of the image a bit. I had one, and tried it out and sent it back to Fotodiox.

Zuiko OM lenses on the other hand, work wicked great on EOS. No glass element is needed. I have had the following OM glass:

OM 50mm 1,8
OM 50mm 1,4 (serial number less than 1,000,000 - over 1 mil is supposedly better)
OM 150mm 3,5 (very good lens)
OM 35-70 3,6 (great lens!)
OM 50mm 3.5 Macro (SUPERIOR LENS!!!! - may pick another one up!)
OM 75-150mm 4,0 (good lens)
OM 28mm 3,5 (BEST value out there - superb optics and found for less than $50 usually)
OM 24mm 2,0 (real treat to use!)
OM 24mm 2,8 (every bit as good as the 2,0 - but quite bit less than the 2,0)

The 18mm 3,5 is amazing, however it is $1K or more. With that said, I would put my Tokina 17mm 3,5 SL RMC up against any copy of the OM 18mm 3,5 - mine is THAT good. I sold my OM 24mm when I picked up the Tokina, despite the "warnings"

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

onegreatcity wrote:
-Cam

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Did you have the conversions done, or buy them converted? If you had it done, and don't mind me asking, how much is it to have it converted?

You can go to his website and check. I think they vary from lens, but I think a few hundred to have them converted. Check the B&S forums, as they come up quite regularly.

As far as the focus goes on a crop, I cannot answer that. You have Live View, right? I have a 1Ds, so it is easy to focus with the stock focus screen

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Dustin Gent wrote:
Minolta lenses will NOT work that well without a Jim Buchanan EOS mount conversion. The problem is that the adapters used to fit the minolta glass on the EOS body has a piece of glass in the adapter. So it will decrease the IQ of the image a bit. I had one, and tried it out and sent it back to Fotodiox.

Good to know...if the images suck from it, I will send it back and look into converting one or two of them. Part of me wants to keep them original out of respect for their history.

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:07 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Good to know...if the images suck from it, I will send it back and look into converting one or two of them. Part of me wants to keep them original out of respect for their history.

Many of these conversions are fully reversible if you keep the old parts(assuming you are familiar and handy with the process).

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:12 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

You got some useful info from the others (so did I actually) but to answer your question all of my lenses were converted by previous owners.

Feb 22, 2012 at 04:51 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

Jim charges around $125 per lens these days, and it is well worth it, his work is top notch. Depending on the lens it may or may not be reversible, best to check with him.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=JimBuchanan

Feb 22, 2012 at 08:02 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Minolta MC/MD Lenses on EOS

helimat wrote:
Jim charges around $125 per lens these days, and it is well worth it, his work is top notch. Depending on the lens it may or may not be reversible, best to check with him.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=JimBuchanan

Good to know, thanks for the info. I am not sure it is worth the $125 for these particular lenses, I don't think they are worth all that much, I think I might just keep them as they are, and use them on the film body. I am picking up some film today, and going to see if it still works...it seems that it does from all I can tell.

Feb 23, 2012 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.