Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

I had the audacity to take the tripod ring out to loose some weight on the lens for travel and when I tried to put back on the nut would not lock (or even engage). At the back of the tripod mount, there appeared to be a small window being put together using 2 small phillips style nuts, and well you can guess it. I tried to take them off and the nuts stripped.

Any suggestions? It feels like im doing something really silly, this should not be that difficult :-)

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:35 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

Cameras/lenses do not use phillips head screws, they look like them, but need a JIS type screw driver. A phillips screwdriver often strips them.

Send it to Canon or a local repair shop. They may be able to remove it or drill it out and replace it.

You can get JIS screwdrivers here: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-58-0319/Jis-Type-S-Driver-Set-Pollicis-4pc.aspx

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:45 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

Thanks... that explains the stripping. Will check locally on repair, canon I suspect will be too expensive to repair it given the flat fee repair charge.

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

As long as the studs are still tightly fastened to the lens body, I'd say you should leave them alone. The tripod mount ring has a small red dot on its front edge that you align with the lens mount index red dot, and then the ring slides over the studs. At least, that's how I understand your situation. It seems a bit less clear what's going on when I read it the second time...

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

jcolwell wrote:
As long as the studs are still tightly fastened to the lens body, I'd say you should leave them alone. The tripod mount ring has a small red dot on its front edge that you align with the lens mount index red dot, and then the ring slides over the studs. At least, that's how I understand your situation. It seems a bit less clear what's going on when I read it the second time...

The studs on the body are fine, it is the collar itself where I think opened it more than intended leaving the nut uncoupled from the bolt inside the tripod collar. There are screws allow for this to be fixed which I ended up stripping by using a phillips. Anyhow , the collar is at local shop and should be getting fixed tomorrow.

Feb 22, 2012 at 08:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Tripod Ring B 300 F4IS, help needed

Thanks for the clarification. I sort of went in that direction after re-reading your original description.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password