Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Selling old gear
  
 
Gregg B.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Selling old gear


I have a question about PayPal gift. I've never used this type of transaction before. I'm trying to sell one of my lenses and some guy is trying to pay me with this "gift" type of payment. Any of you tried it or have any experience with it?
Thanks
Greg



Feb 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM
jhinkey
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Selling old gear


I believe if you use Paypal Gift you, as the seller, are not covered by any of Paypal's seller protection features.

Now, if it's a person you have high confidence in, perhaps it's worth it. I have yet to use it on any high value item and would be very leery to accept a gift payment.

My 2 cents.

John



Feb 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM
anthonysemone
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Selling old gear


Gregg,

Do NOT use PP gift!!!!! Would you send or accept a gift from someone whom you don't know?

You're screwed if he claims you sent him a brick. He gets PP to refund his payment, he keeps your lens, and all you've got is your bare ass hangin' out in the breeze.



Feb 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM
penpro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Selling old gear


PP tends to side with the buyer anyways. Personally I would only accept cash and in person.


Feb 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM
gfinlayson
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Selling old gear


From reading PayPal's terms, gift payments sit outside of the buyer and seller protection schemes because by definition there's no sale transaction as it's a 'gift'.

He may simply be offering a gift payment out of good faith as he pays the PayPal transaction fee, not you, so you receive full net value.

However, if his payment is subsequently returned after despatch (due to lack of funds, for example), you would lose out.

The safest bet would be to accept the payment, but allow say 7 working days to ensure there isn't a reversal before dispatching the goods.

Alternatively, could he pay by bank transfer?



Feb 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Selling old gear


Gregg B. wrote:
I have a question about PayPal gift. I've never used this type of transaction before. I'm trying to sell one of my lenses and some guy is trying to pay me with this "gift" type of payment. Any of you tried it or have any experience with it?
Thanks
Greg



Paypal gift is a way to get around not paying the paypal fees and is wrong in my book and I don't do it. Plus there is no protection for the seller or the buyer if you use gift.




Feb 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM
cipsaz
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Selling old gear


Just use Amazon Payments. It's free both ways via CC, and the buyer is protected. It's just better than PP and no fees.


Feb 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM
fusiongt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Selling old gear


I used paypal gift a few times until I found out that it's duping their system and you aren't protected from it. Think of it this way:

How many times have you been to a restaurant that doesn't take credit cards? It's a bitch isn't it? They don't want to deal with the 2+% transaction fees. As the buyer, the convenience of using a credit card is gone and when you think about it, it's just 2%. Even at a really expensive restaurant, it's not that much.

When it comes down to it, I only sell using regular paypal but when I am owing a friend some money (usually not much), I'll paypal gift it.

Again, at the end of the day it's like 2% and you're protected so regular paypal is good enough for me. If I was buying from people on FM, I would prefer the price be a little bit higher with regular paypal than cheaper with paypal gift. If it's a lens over 1000 dollars, I would definitely want regular paypal.



Feb 22, 2012 at 01:23 AM
anthonysemone
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Selling old gear


cipsaz wrote:
Just use Amazon Payments. It's free both ways via CC, and the buyer is protected. It's just better than PP and no fees.


Is the seller protected



Feb 22, 2012 at 01:51 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Selling old gear


Gift PayPal is a sucker's way for a Buyer to pay. This has been discussed on the Buy & Sell Forum, which is where this thread should have been posted.


Feb 22, 2012 at 03:05 AM
innovis
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Selling old gear


I have just sold my lens filter, 14-24, and D3s here on fm via paypal gift. It is to waiver fees so that you don't have to pay those fees. Buyer doesn't get charged a fee as well so it works both ways. Only thing that is required though, is a lot of TRUST. But most fm are honest; Just check the feedbacks first.

Confirm you have received payment before shipping and you should be fine. Both the buyer AND seller have no protection. As a matter of fact for most of you talking, SELLERS use a gift scam because a person usually sends money as a gift not realizing they have no buyer protection, not the other way around.

The only scam that favor buyers is a CHARGEBACK scam, in which they claim a dispute relating to "item not as described". They send you back a brick, call their credit card to set a chargeback, and get their money back despite you liking it or not. It happened to my friend on ebay.



Feb 22, 2012 at 03:34 AM
FortyOneSixty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Selling old gear


innovis wrote:
Confirm you have received payment before shipping and you should be fine. Both the buyer AND seller have no protection. As a matter of fact for most of you talking, SELLERS use a gift scam because a person usually sends money as a gift not realizing they have no buyer protection, not the other way around.



Yeah, I was wondering what some people were talking about.

Paypal gift is only dangerous to the Buyer really.

In any case, Paypal is evil.

Use Amazon or Google.



Feb 22, 2012 at 03:45 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Selling old gear


anthonysemone wrote:
Gregg,

Do NOT use PP gift!!!!! Would you send or accept a gift from someone whom you don't know?

You're screwed if he claims you sent him a brick. He gets PP to refund his payment, he keeps your lens, and all you've got is your bare ass hangin' out in the breeze.



Unfortunately, the same thing can (and does) happen with regular PayPal too. If the buyer claims the item is "not as described" the seller has no choice but to refund the money and hope he gets the item back. As a seller, you might as well go the Gift route and avoid the fees, since your risk is the same.



Feb 22, 2012 at 03:38 PM
anthonysemone
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Selling old gear


heheh, be my guest, Molson


Feb 22, 2012 at 05:47 PM
CGrindahl
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Selling old gear


You are selling a much sought after lens at a very good price, so there is no need to do ANYTHING in a transaction that puts you at risk. I will cross ship very expensive gear on the PROMISE of a personal check but only when I'm dealing with someone who has an established reputation for fair dealing. I look closely at feedback and prefer to deal with those who've been around awhile.

It is for you to decide what makes you comfortable in a transaction as a seller. Ask for your 100%. There is no need for you to assume risk simply because the buyer wants to do it his or her way. I've used Paypal gift only once and that was with a person with over 200 great feedbacks in his history on FM. But I don't like it. I prefer to pay by personal check and happily accept the same from others. If I don't know them I wait until the check is cleared. If that doesn't work for them I'll take a USPS money order that I cash at the post office. I'll accept regular Paypal for established FM members and will use it to pay for gear on E-Bay. But I won't accept Paypal gift. If I know a person well enough to consider using it, I know the person well enough to cross ship on the promise of a personal check. That makes life easy...

Good luck finding a new home for you 105VR.



Feb 22, 2012 at 08:39 PM
mach250
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Selling old gear


gfinlayson wrote:
From reading PayPal's terms, gift payments sit outside of the buyer and seller protection schemes because by definition there's no sale transaction as it's a 'gift'.

He may simply be offering a gift payment out of good faith as he pays the PayPal transaction fee, not you, so you receive full net value.

However, if his payment is subsequently returned after despatch (due to lack of funds, for example), you would lose out.

The safest bet would be to accept the payment, but allow say 7 working days to ensure there isn't a reversal before dispatching the goods.

Alternatively, could he pay by bank
...Show more

I wait til the payment has transferred from paypal to my bank account before shipping any items regardless of payment type.



Feb 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Nijay
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Selling old gear


anthonysemone wrote:
Gregg,

Do NOT use PP gift!!!!! Would you send or accept a gift from someone whom you don't know?

You're screwed if he claims you sent him a brick. He gets PP to refund his payment, he keeps your lens, and all you've got is your bare ass hangin' out in the breeze.


You really should go read about Paypal gift beforehand....

It's the buyer that gets screwed for using Paypal gift, not the seller. Paypal will not refund payment for any kind of personal payment, gift included.



Feb 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM





FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password