Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Why was the 1D shutter so much faster/different/better?

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why was the 1D shutter so much faster/different/better?

Can someone shed some 'light' on why the original 1D shutter/sensor combination was able to natively flash-sync (in ETTL) at 1/500 sec. and in remote manual shooting upto a few 1000th of a second? Canon had already started producing their own CMOS sensors at the time of the 1D but chose to use a 3rd party (Kodak maybe?) CCD sensor instead. What is it exactly that allowed the 1D to have flash sync speeds that have not been equaled since? I know that modern flashes can all be set to 'high speed' mode but that is not the same...there is way too much loss in flash power in doing so. Being able to fire a speedlite at full (manual) power at 1/2000 sec is impressive (and kind of unbelievable)!

So the question is, why hasn't this been matched since? It seems that all other specs have been easily surpassed in the last decade...MP count, ISO, DR, buffer, frame rate, battery life, and so on but the flash sync speed has never been equaled (let alone surpased). What technical issue is holding that back I wonder?

Omar

Feb 21, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why was the 1D shutter so much faster/different/better?

You answered your own question, the CCD sensor allowed higher shutter speeds to be controlled from cycling the sensor on/off, not using the shutter mechanism. CMOS sensors cannot be controlled in the same way.

Feb 21, 2012 at 07:23 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why was the 1D shutter so much faster/different/better?

Jeff wrote:
You answered your own question, the CCD sensor allowed higher shutter speeds to be controlled from cycling the sensor on/off, not using the shutter mechanism. CMOS sensors cannot be controlled in the same way.

Well, I always thought that was the case...that the 1D was able to use it's CCD sensor the way P&S cameras do. But if that's the case, why would it need a mechanical shutter at all?
Also, are CMOS sensors really that superior to CCD's that virtually no one uses a CCD for DSLR's anymore?

Omar

Feb 21, 2012 at 07:44 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why was the 1D shutter so much faster/different/better?

I believe a mechanical shutter was required for slower times. Re: Cmos vs CCD I believe the Cmos are more economical to produce and require less energy as far as the two main positives. I also believe they handle signal noise better. There are probably many other differences, but I haven't studied up on them too much.

Feb 21, 2012 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password