Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Should I have thought this through first??

dortizphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I have thought this through first??

Greetings everyone!

A few months ago I traded my MINT / LIKE NEW Canon 5Dmk2 with grip for an equally MINT / LIKE NEW Canon 1Dmk3. Of course the MP count is substancially different, 21 vs 10. I traded with a member of this forum and the transaction went through smoothly .. no complaints whatsoever.

However, after reviewing what I'm now shooting, mostly portraits, and slow moving objects I can't help but wonder if I should have NOT gotten rid of my loyal 5D2 for this 1D3. Now I'm faced with the decision of making another trade back, but I fear the 5D2 I'll receive (if such even happens) will be as MINT as mine was .. I highly doubt it.

Can someone help convince me one way of another in this regard? Would you keep the 1D3 over the 5D2 (keeping in mind I do NOT shoot sports)?

Any feedback, personal experience and/or general comments are humbly welcomed.

Cheers!
Dave

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I have thought this through first??

Whether you trade back or not it, of course, entirely up to you.

But I certainly would not trade my 5d2 for a 1d3, given what I (and you) use the 5d2 for.

When I found that my interests were branching out to include birds/wildlife, I added a 7D to the kit. the 5d2/7D combo is perfect for my needs/wants, and I also always have a spare body if one dies.

JMO

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:17 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I have thought this through first??

I know .... and to think I have a 40D as a back-up. So I traded my trusty 5D2 in vain. Oh well, live and learn as they say right?

Cheers!
Dave

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:28 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I have thought this through first??

I think the main reasons to get a 1D body are:

- Very fast autofocus throughout the frame
- A very fast frame rate with a large frame buffer
- Rugged and weather proofed body.

If you aren't that concerned with the above features, I think you'll find that the 5D Mark II will suit your needs far better than the 1D Mark 3.

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:33 PM
WmPat
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I have thought this through first??

The 1D3 is a far better camera than the 5D2. So, if you traded even up for one in equal condition, you came out ahead on the deal.

However, both of these models are somewhat specialized in their intended uses. One model's strong points are the other model's weaknesses. If you've found that you now own the model that least matches your shooting style and choice of subject matter you may be happier if you switch back. However, you should perhaps spend some time exploring the new types of shooting that are now available to you before making another deal.

If you decide to go back to the 5D2, I think you could come out ahead moneywise if you sold the 1D3 outright and then bought another 5D2 (even a new one) rather than seeking a trade of equal condition bodies. You got the best of the deal in your first trade. That's not likely to happen going in the opposite direction.

Edited on Feb 21, 2012 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:43 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I have thought this through first??

ignore all the specs for a moment, are you satisfied with the images from the 1d3?

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:46 PM
jotdeh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I have thought this through first??

So what is the problem with getting a camera that is not as mint as yours originally was? You want it back because you want to use it, not because you want to look at it, right?!

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:48 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I have thought this through first??

I see no problem as long as you are happy with the images and the features of the camera. Then again, I own two, 5D II's and 1D III. The 1D III is my backup camera.

Edited on Feb 21, 2012 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:25 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I have thought this through first??

Given that the 5DII you had would not be as mint today as it was when you traded it, I'd say it is only fair that you get a less "mint" one...

Does the 1D work? Can you make the photos you want with it? If so, use it and be happy. Which is what you should have done when you had the 5D. SImple.

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:25 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I have thought this through first??

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and valued advice. GPop, I am satisfied, but the 5D2 images seemed smoother (IMHO), and of course I had more cropping power with 21mp vs. 10mp, not to mention more data for larger prints.

No doubt the 1D3 is a tank, I can see [and feel] that. They were BOTH in equally GREAT/LIKE NEW condition (I’m sure my 5D2 probably still is as is this 1D3). I gather I'll try to make this 1D3 work for me and make the best of it. One thing is certain, when I point it at something, the focus lock is apples to oranges compared to the 5D2.

Guess I'm trying to make myself not feel bad and justifying the downgrade (if it's even considered that). According to WmPat, I came out ahead here … so I suppose I'm trying to validate that. I guess mp isn't always better or is it?

I do freelance photojournalist work, and needed something (when on assignment) to focus, lock and capture right away -- something my 5D2 was struggling with. That's the main reason I traded. However, my assignments have decreased to one a month, so I mainly shoot portraits now, and that's (IMH) where the 5D2 shined.

Thanks again, and as always any additional feedback is most welcome and humbly appreciated.

Cheers!
Dave

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I have thought this through first??

You made the right move. The 5D2 is a toy compared to the 1D3. Don't let the lower resolution fool you either. It makes incredible files.

My 5D2 always sat in the bag while the 1D3 went to work. The 5D2 is now gone, and I don't miss it at all.

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Should I have thought this through first??

....and you also unloaded the 5D2 while it still has some value. It's likely to drop very soon.

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:22 PM
mjeffbr

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Should I have thought this through first??

So someone said the 1D3 is 'a far better camera than the 5D2'

more rugged? 1d
faster shooting? 1d
better af? 1d

better IQ? 5d2
cropping possibilities? 5d2
larger prints? 5d2

well, IMHO the 1d not being FF and with inferior IQ compared to the 5d always felt like 'I have to own it because I gotta look like a pro' thing to me, I really cannot see how IQ should not be at the top of anyone`s list

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Should I have thought this through first??

mjeffbr wrote:
So someone said the 1D3 is 'a far better camera than the 5D2'

more rugged? 1d
faster shooting? 1d
better af? 1d

better IQ? 5d2
cropping possibilities? 5d2
larger prints? 5d2

well, IMHO the 1d not being FF and with inferior IQ compared to the 5d always felt like 'I have to own it because I gotta look like a pro' thing to me, I really cannot see how IQ should not be at the top of anyone`s list

The 5D2's image quality is marginally better, at best.

If the shot isn't in focus, what's the point?

If we miss capturing a moment because the camera wouldn't lock focus, what's the point?

The 1D3 is superior to the 5D2.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:01 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Should I have thought this through first??

Thanks Chad ... I have to concur with you relative to the "performance" and "build" of the camera. The 5D2 can't crawl where the 1D3 walks in that regard. I'm somewhat saddened by the loss of 10+mp in image sensor. Don't care much for the FF as the 1.3 crop suites me just fine, just wish I had more resolutive (if there is such a word) power is all.

Thanks,
Dave

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:04 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Should I have thought this through first??

Chad S wrote:

One of my favorite things about internet forums is the way people project their personal, subjective opinions as objective fact.

For you, Chad, the 1D3 may well be "superior" (whatever that means) to the 5d2.

For others, that's not the case.

Camera bodies are just tools, nothing more. Pick the right tool for the right task.

For the tasks to which I typically put my 5d2, there's absolutely no way the 1d3 is a better tool than the 5d2.

I'm sure that there are lots of tasks for which the 1d3 would be the better tool.

Neither is objectively "superior." Each has things it does better than the other.

Pick the right tool for the right task.

[/Rant]

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:09 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Should I have thought this through first??

Chad S wrote:
The 5D2's image quality is marginally better, at best.

If the shot isn't in focus, what's the point?

If we miss capturing a moment because the camera wouldn't lock focus, what's the point?

Gotta disagree with you on this one sport. The image files are quite a bit better than what I get from my 1D3. I do agree that the focusing is better with the 1D3 but I really have no issues getting my photos in focus. Weddings are my primary work and shooting a bride walking down the aisle is a tough shot but the 5D II handles it just fine. The higher ISO of the 5D also helps to give me superior images.

Now if I was a sports or news shooter then the 1D3 would be my camera of choice over the 5DII. But different strokes and all that.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:24 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Should I have thought this through first??

Chad S wrote:
...The 1D3 is superior to the 5D2.

The 1D3 is superior to the 5D2 for some applications; it is inferior for some other applications.

Chad S wrote:
...If the shot isn't in focus, what's the point?

If one can't properly focus a portrait shot with a 5D Mark II, he shouldn't be doing portrait sessions.

Chad S wrote:
...If we miss capturing a moment because the camera wouldn't lock focus, what's the point?

Good portraitists usually create the moment...after focusing -- and often using manual focus, to boot.

Chad S wrote:
...The 5D2's image quality is marginally better, at best.

That's an opinion -- a subjective valuation -- and so I can't argue with it; however I strongly disagree. To me, the 5D Mark II's IQ is substantially better.

Edited on Feb 21, 2012 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:25 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Should I have thought this through first??

StarNut wrote:
One of my favorite things about internet forums is the way people project their personal, subjective opinions as objective fact.

For you, Chad, the 1D3 may well be "superior" (whatever that means) to the 5d2.

For others, that's not the case.

Camera bodies are just tools, nothing more. Pick the right tool for the right task.

For the tasks to which I typically put my 5d2, there's absolutely no way the 1d3 is a better tool than the 5d2.

I'm sure that there are lots of tasks for which the 1d3 would be the better tool.

Neither is objectively "superior." Each has things it does better
...Show more

Let me rephrase then: The 1D3 is superior in any situation where focusing matters at all

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Should I have thought this through first??

BrianO wrote:
If one can't properly focus a portrait shot with a 5D Mark II, he shouldn't be doing portrait sessions.

When your camera constantly hunts for focus as your subject patiently waits, it gets annoying quickly.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:28 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.