Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New body suggestions

Alex53
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New body suggestions

I started with my first DSLR in 2004, with a 300D. Bought a 10D shortly after, and a 5D a few years later. I shoot mostly landscapes and rock concerts, but also a bit of everything at times (street photography, macros, events and I've dabbled in modelling and weddings).

The 5D is a fantastic camera and its great to have a full frame sensor in terms of getting the full wide angle that a lenses provide when shooting dramatic landscapes. I rarely shoot sports and I am perfectly happy with the AF of a 5D, so I dont find the 1 series bodies particularly tempting, especially given their price tag.

I am considering updating a little, mostly because of the features such as self cleaning sensors and the possibility of videos. Macro video would be excellent to play around with. The other reason would be that right now when I need a backup body, or 2 bodies because I dont want to change lenses (e.g. in some rock concerts), the 10D is a bit of a fossil now.

Having been perfectly happy with the 5D for years now I have lost touch with what new bodies are out there nowadays, and what bodies are expected to be released soon.

What would you guys recommend as an upgrade?

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #2 · New body suggestions

5D c
Or 5D MK II

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:49 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · New body suggestions

Well video really rules out another 5d but if you take that out of the equation you have the advantage of having 2 bodies operating the same way, using the same batteries etc. That is what I find most handy about having a second body.

1. For having another body (ie backup although when I shoot seriously I use both bodies at the same time) another 5d would fit the bill especially since you are so happy with the current one.

2. If you need video then you should be looking toward a 5d2 I think. You will probably will not be happy with a crop.

3. I would not give a rats behind for the sensor cleaning function. A gimmick if you ask me. Just take the proper steps to clean it the right way when you have to.

4. What is coming via new bodies is all speculation with the exception of the 1DX so you really cannot make a decision until a new camera is released.

5. 5d classics are pretty darn cheap right now.

(Can you guess what 2 bodies I have )

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Alex53
• • •
p.1 #4 · New body suggestions

Thanks. A 5D mkII does seem like a good choice. One thing I forgot though.

Since I moved to my new house, which is adjacent to some forested area, I've been tempted to dabble with bird photography. I've already planned setting up a little pond with a water pump to attract birds and I can hide on my terrace.

I'd be quite close, but still for small birds my guess is at least 300mm, ideally 400mm.

I dont actually have a long lens right now other than the very rubbish 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM. So a possibility could possibly be to save up on the new body by getting a 60D or a 7D and use that towards a decent long lens.

Is the 400mm f5.6 still the 'reasonably priced' entry level lens for birding?

Would a 60D plus a 5D cut it in other scenarios though.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:15 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · New body suggestions

Even for birding, you will likely be ok with 5DMKII, the center point AF is pretty decent. The extra pixel density of 60D/7D can come in handy in great light, but from what others have said its not that big an advantage in lower light where high ISO performance of 5dMKII starts producing comparable detail. The new 1DX is at 18Mp and that gives a good sense of where canon thinks the sweet spot is for pixel density vs pixel quality right now for high ISO.

400 f5.6 is still "reasonably priced" or at least the most "reasonably priced" lens. If you are looking to spend the big bucks, the new super teles 300 f2.8 IS II, 400 f2.8 II, 500 F4 II etc are a significant step up both in useability and price.

Another thing to consider, 5DMKIII / 5Dx appear to be around the corner, these have been spotted in the wild so if you can hang in there for another month or so, you may want to wait to see what canon has to offer. If nothing else, used 5d MKII prices should drop a good deal.

Feb 21, 2012 at 06:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alex53
• • •
p.1 #6 · New body suggestions

Thanks for yor replies guys.

I've decided to hang on for a while and wait for the 5D mkII prices to come down a bit.

I'll set up my little pond and water pump and test with my current cheap zoom to see whether I really need 400mm or I am close enough to use 300mm, and buy a new better long lens according to that.

Feb 22, 2012 at 08:33 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #7 · New body suggestions

Alex53 wrote:

I've decided to hang on for a while and wait for the 5D mkII prices to come down a bit.

sounds like a plan

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #8 · New body suggestions

Alex53 wrote:

I'll set up my little pond and water pump and test with my current cheap zoom to see whether I really need 400mm or I am close enough to use 300mm, and buy a new better long lens according to that.

You may not have to wait too long. Looks like the next version of 5D is to be announced on 2/28 with a pretty big step up in AF & FPS. Per Canonrumors, its rated CR3 and they have a pretty good record with CR3 :

Specs
22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD

Feb 22, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #9 · New body suggestions

thedutt wrote:
... The new 1DX is at 18Mp and that gives a good sense of where canon thinks the sweet spot is for pixel density vs pixel quality right now for high ISO.

I submit that that's an oversimplification: It omits the factor of frames per second. I'd be willing to bet (someone else's money, I mean) that they could have gone higher with megapixels without noticeably less IQ, but didn't because they wouldn't have been able to achieve such a high frame rate if they did. I wish they'd have sacrificed frame rate for resolution.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #10 · New body suggestions

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I submit that that's an oversimplification: It omits the factor of frames per second. I'd be willing to bet (someone else's money, I mean) that they could have gone higher with megapixels without noticeably less IQ, but didn't because they wouldn't have been able to achieve such a high frame rate if they did. I wish they'd have sacrificed frame rate for resolution.

You are correct, I shouldve mentioned frame rate & buffer also. Having said that, while I am not a sensor expert, it appears to be logical at if you increase pixel density, you are trading off some ISO performance / Dynamic range. Again as you said, that may be over simplification ;-)

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password