Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

duffguy808
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

Hey guys,

I am having problems with my EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II auto focus. It is stuck at one focus distance in AF or MF mode. I can feel the USM moving when I tried to use it but it seem the focus mechanism is not moving. I definitely will have to send it into CPS.

Here is my question:

Do you guys know roughly how much it cost to repair an L lens with focus problem like this? I don't want to send the lens into CPS and not have enought to repair it. Shipping is a little high for me.

Thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:48 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

I don't know why your shipping is so high -- are you in Alaska, or a US possession? I live pretty close to Irvine, and ship down via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Pretty cheap and fast.

I don't know the cost of such a repair, but I know you need to do it. Are you qualified for the CPS Gold Program? For $100 it gives you 30% discount on repairs. Still, if the repair is around $300 (just a WAG), you would not quite get that money all back on the one repair. But CPS is a great bargain.

I wish there was a less painful answer. But at least Canon is reasonably priced for their repairs.

Feb 21, 2012 at 06:54 AM
duffguy808
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

Thanks for your response.

I live in the Hawaii so shipping back and forth is a little pricy for me.

I hope it not more than $400.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

400d
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

Gunzorro wrote:
I don't know why your shipping is so high -- are you in Alaska, or a US possession? I live pretty close to Irvine, and ship down via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Pretty cheap and fast.

Yes, I do that myself too-being in the same state where the Jamesburg center is, this gives me a little more faith in using USPS priority service. I have done that with all of my 1D bodies and lens like 85mm f/1.2 II. Actually I did send in a 1D Mark II for a malfunctioning SD slot and they want $290 (which they called a major repair), I decided not to have it repaired and had them shipped the body back to me.

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:01 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

I think their standard repair cost is 300-something now, but I'm really not sure. I recently sent a lens in for repair (not for AF though), and after taxes and shipping it was a touch over $400. Cheaper than a new one, at least :-/

You can send it in, and if you don't like the price they quote I think they will ship it back for free.

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Greg Mangione

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II Auto Focus failure

I just sent in my 16-35 Mk1 for focusing issues back in December. The repair was $179 and 2 day shipping up here to Alaska was only $14. Turn around time was less than a week! My lens wouldn't achieve focus lock...just would rack back and forth.
Hope that helps!

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password