Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Long Lens Fine Tune

thursdaylsr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Long Lens Fine Tune

Bought a 300 2.8 AF-I on the B/S boards here, can't seem to get shots in focus and I'm 99% sure it's not me. First time I took it out I thought there were issues, but then I put the lens on a monopod and my keeper rate went up immediately, but shots still weren't as sharp as my 300 4 AF-S.

Then when shooting a game on Saturday shots were close to focus, but I could tell it either just missed or an adjustment was needed. Since I tried everything from 2.8-5.6 and couldn't really get shots, I assume it's the adjustment that I need to do.

I've never done the adjustment because everything else has been spot on from what I can tell, so I'm mostly just wondering if there is a trick to doing a long lens adjustment or anything. I printed the chart off of focustestchart.com, so tell me what else to do! haha

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:56 AM
hdavid

p.1 #2 · Long Lens Fine Tune

OK, can you post 1 or 2 of the images, with EXIF data intact - and if possible, ir using one of the latest Nikon cameras, we (or you) can use CaptureNX to show us where the focus point is. This will tell us many things.....

1. Shutter speed appropriate for action.
2. AF settings of camera
3. AF point selected by camera
4. Other useful info.....

If you are getting a higher percentage of keepers with a mono-pod - I have a pretty good idea of where the problem might be.

Big factor as well is a difference in size/weight. Holding a 300 F4 is a lot easier than a 300 F2.8.

I have the 300 F2.0, so at 17 pounds - a totally different method of support is required.

So - post us an image and we'll help as best we can.

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:49 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #3 · Long Lens Fine Tune

For some reason upload won't work for me, don't know what's going on. If I can email a file to you that'd be awesome. Right now I just have a sooc jpeg but tomorrow I can send a RAW file. Looking back I might be pixel peeping? Not sure. Shot this game with a monopod. Point used is the center point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmodendhal/6913784805/

D7000/300 2.8 AF-I/300mm/2.8/1.1250th/ISO 200/Auto WB/AF-C

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:11 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #4 · Long Lens Fine Tune

They look good web size, but come print I don't think they would look that great, here's another example. Again, center point focus. I'm starting to think I've just been looking at the computer screen too much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmodendhal/6913859277/

D7000/300 2.8 AF-I/300mm/2.8/1.2000th/ISO 200/AUTO/AF-C

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:17 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Long Lens Fine Tune

looks fine to me

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #6 · Long Lens Fine Tune

thursdaylsr wrote:
For some reason upload won't work for me, don't know what's going on. If I can email a file to you that'd be awesome. Right now I just have a sooc jpeg but tomorrow I can send a RAW file. Looking back I might be pixel peeping? Not sure. Shot this game with a monopod. Point used is the center point.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6913784805_11ffc0e3e2_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmodendhal/6913784805/

D7000/300 2.8 AF-I/300mm/2.8/1.1250th/ISO 200/Auto WB/AF-C

well, you're shooting wide open into the sky on an overcast day. The contrast will be really poor under these conditions.

Feb 21, 2012 at 09:18 AM
hdavid

p.1 #7 · Long Lens Fine Tune

OK - Sure - PM me a pic and I'll take a look........ Your shutter speed is great, so shouldn't be there.......

I went online and found a Depth of Field Calculator - and assuming this was taken from about 30 feet away, with the 300mm Wide Open on your D7000 - You will have a DOF of 1/3 of a foot - so 4 inches. Looking at the photo - from the front of the yellow elbow - to the back right shoulder will be more than 4 inches - the opponent will be even more so. With 4" I would expect the front of the shirt and front of helmet to be in focus with the focus point chosen. Less so moving out. Assuming thickness of a human body of about 15" - getting the whole body in focus would need about F11. (according to the calculator).

Could you tell me what the distance was to subject?

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:29 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #8 · Long Lens Fine Tune

Ah, sorry for the delay in response. I finally got time away from the computer for a bit to let my eyes rest, then sat down the other day to look through again. I think it was just a matter of being worried I spent so much on a lens and something might be wrong, everything looks fine now haha. Thanks for the help though.

Feb 24, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #9 · Long Lens Fine Tune

The other thing is the D7000 AF might not be fast enough to keep up with really fast action, though f2.8 should help more than hurt.
The samples posted look pretty darn good to me.

Feb 24, 2012 at 07:25 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Long Lens Fine Tune

I have the feeling that the D7000 doesn't "pick up" on movement as fast as the CAM3500 models do (D300/700/3), so you have to start follow-focus a tenth of a second or slightly more earlier to make it "stick" to a moving object. When working, it's great - but can't just throw the camera at the target as you can with a D3s.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password