Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 vs. D800E sharpness

Gregg B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 vs. D800E sharpness

Check this out: http://jakub.serych.cz/D800-D800E-comparison
Short but interesting read and comparison of two sensors.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 vs. D800E sharpness

Also completely ignorant. You can't conclude anything from what he did. Having used cameras with no AA filtering for some time, there is a native accutance that you can't get no matter how much software-based sharpening you do. Yes, there will be moire at times, and that's the tradeoff. Hence two cameras, depending on what you want.

Jeff

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM
John Wheeler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 vs. D800E sharpness

No doubt there is a nice sharpness difference between the two cameras. Any sharpening technique could be applied equally to both so the link is not really an apples to apples comparison.

That said, the two images taken to compare the D800 and the D800E are probably not apples to apples either. Here is the original link to the article with these pics:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d800-d800e-digital-slr-hands-on-review-18420

I think there will be good comparisons that will come out when more D800/D800Es are in the hands of folks that can do some real apples to apples comparisons.

Here is why I don't believe this image is a good apples to apples comparison. In the blow up of the supplied image (go to the website in the link and scroll down to the bottom), note that along the lower portion of the image and especially on the lower right, there are tree branches that are in the D800E image that are not in the D800 image. Did the wind blow these in for the tree that was in the forefront? Brings in the question of how much time lapse occurred between the two changing the lighting in one vs the other. Were the images taken from a different vantage point? Was the same lens used with the exact same focus point?

I don't doubt there is a noticeable difference, I just think good comparisons are yet to come.

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:08 AM
domdog31
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 vs. D800E sharpness

jhapeman wrote:
Also completely ignorant. You can't conclude anything from what he did. Having used cameras with no AA filtering for some time, there is a native accutance that you can't get no matter how much software-based sharpening you do. Yes, there will be moire at times, and that's the tradeoff. Hence two cameras, depending on what you want.

Jeff

+1

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:31 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password