Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D4 delay

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D4 delay

Anyone else think that the D4 was never going to be shipped for the 16th Feb and that the March date was always the actual shipping date?

I wonder if Nikon never planned to deliver on the 16th Feb but wanted to bag sufficient pre-orders before the 1Dx launch. Using a firmware bug as an excuse, and so late in the day too seems like an obvious scapegoat.

I'm just sitting here speculating. What do you guys think?

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM
froda
• •
p.1 #2 · D4 delay

They probably read the thread on FredMiranda about how it can't be used for portraits and decided to bag the product entirely.

Thanks internet.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · D4 delay

What any of us think is nothing more than pure speculation on our parts as we have no information other than what Nikon gives us. Having seen the PR nightmares recent Canon products have been, maybe Nikon is trying to avoid that.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #4 · D4 delay

runamuck wrote:
What any of us think is nothing more than pure speculation on our parts as we have no information other than what Nikon gives us. Having seen the PR nightmares recent Canon products have been, maybe Nikon is trying to avoid that.

+1

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #5 · D4 delay

ct8282 wrote:
Anyone else think that the D4 was never going to be shipped for the 16th Feb and that the March date was always the actual shipping date?

I wonder if Nikon never planned to deliver on the 16th Feb but wanted to bag sufficient pre-orders before the 1Dx launch. Using a firmware bug as an excuse, and so late in the day too seems like an obvious scapegoat.

I'm just sitting here speculating. What do you guys think?

I think Nikon is out to screw you over. Nikon hates you personally. Its a HUGE conspiracy. I thought you knew.........They are watching you...

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #6 · D4 delay

everyone cancel your pre order so I can move up the list,,

Derry

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #7 · D4 delay

They shelved it for another month to add the missing .1 millimeter after someone discovered the sensor is only 35mm x 23.9mm.

Nikon, we know about this now!!!

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:12 AM
domdog31
• • •
p.1 #8 · D4 delay

The real question is how many people do you think cancelled the D4 preorder and went with the D800? Two different cameras I know but still would be curious to know...

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:25 AM
retro99

p.1 #9 · D4 delay

domdog31 wrote:
The real question is how many people do you think cancelled the D4 preorder and went with the D800? Two different cameras I know but still would be curious to know...

I bet initially a lot of people cancelled. I also bet that after re-thinking it they are now back on the bottom of the list I got in on the first 30 min of pre order at BHphoto. Too bad NPS gets priority

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #10 · D4 delay

domdog31 wrote:

Not me, I have each on the way. I personally have totally different uses for each camera.

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JHerr
• • •
p.1 #11 · D4 delay

Steve Perry wrote:
Not me, I have each on the way. I personally have totally different uses for each camera.

I am jelly bro.

mad jelly

(that's hip internet lingo for jealousy)

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:55 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #12 · D4 delay

honorerdieu wrote:
They shelved it for another month to add the missing .1 millimeter after someone discovered the sensor is only 35mm x 23.9mm.

Nikon, we know about this now!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Feb 21, 2012 at 08:15 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #13 · D4 delay

I would say the D4 was rushed out due to Canon announcing the 1DX. The D800 was obviously supposed to be announced first.

I think the delay has more to do with the demand and NPS/News agencies needing the D4 for the Olympics.

Feb 21, 2012 at 08:33 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · D4 delay

niXer wrote:
I would say the D4 was rushed out due to Canon announcing the 1DX. The D800 was obviously supposed to be announced first.

I think the delay has more to do with the demand and NPS/News agencies needing the D4 for the Olympics.

Why obviously?

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #15 · D4 delay

niXer wrote:
I would say the D4 was rushed out due to Canon announcing the 1DX.

If that were the case they could have announced it much earlier....

niXer wrote:
The D800 was obviously supposed to be announced first.

If that were the case then Nikon could easily have announced that earlier too...

niXer wrote:

I don't see why the demand you suggest would cause delays.... it's either available or it's not. Nikon aren't going to delay shipping the first units just because the waiting line got too long

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #16 · D4 delay

Yeah, I'm not so sure the D800 was ever supposed to be announced first.

As domdog said, I would be interested to know how many people changed their pre-order to a D800. Will start a poll....

Feb 21, 2012 at 01:57 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #17 · D4 delay

The reason I think the D800 was going to be announced first was that the sample images are all the way from July 2011 and Rob Van Petten has said himself he has been keeping it secret for 9 months and said he was starting to be asked "prospective questions" around April of 2011.

Also why would the D800 not have an XQD slot? Because the standard wasn't accepted until after the D800 was already produced.

I think the D4 was delayed by the Tsunami/Earthquake that they couldn't announce it any earlier due to restructuring/retooling the Sendai plant and didn't want to pull a Canon, announcing months in advanced without the proper launch sample images/yields. Also the XQD slot.

I really think the demand for the D4 and the short launch date close to the Olympics is forcing Nikon to make all current D4 shipments NPS/New Agencies, first priority. They are the official imaging sponsors of the Olympics afterall. So they are probably taking the extra month so that everyone gets their D4 at the same time.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:30 PM
innovis
• •
p.1 #18 · D4 delay

Steve Perry wrote:

Same here.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:47 PM
utildayael
• •
p.1 #19 · D4 delay

Steve Perry wrote:

Ditto. D4 + D800E. Way different uses.

Feb 21, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #20 · D4 delay

What I find curious is the timing. The delay was announced within about 10 days of the on-sale date. Nikon usually has gear in the shipping channels so that it is available on the same date in most parts of the world. In this case, I would think there were lots of D4s already in the shipping stream (and I'm also assuming that D4s have been in production for at least several months. At 3K/month, that's not alot and Nikon should have at least 10K ready globally at launch) which makes me wonder, if it is a firmware issue, is Nikon going to open each box and flash the cameras before sale, or are they going to recall several months of production to re-do them in Japan? Or, will they sell them to us and let us download our own update?
Here in the US, Nikon would probably just be getting D4s in warehouse to start shipping to dealers 7-10 days before launch.
Guess it doesn't matter in the long run, maybe the delay will bump me up the list a little farther.....

Feb 21, 2012 at 06:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password