Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The D800 and printing

azbill
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · The D800 and printing

This has probably been covered somewhere in all of the D800 threads, but I can't seem to find the answer.
Will the 36mp resolution of the D800 be noticeably better than a 12mp FX camera in 8x10 and 11x14 prints, or will the advantage of 36mp's only be seen in the ability to print larger? This is assuming the D800 and the 12mp FX camera were using the same lens, tripod, etc?

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:22 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · The D800 and printing

Yes.

You will def. see some improvements (all else being equal) in the prints. Not a huge amount, but the details will be more clearly defined.

Feb 20, 2012 at 08:10 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · The D800 and printing

depends on what printing.
D800 outputs 24x16" at 300dpi. so even cheapest lab which compress and resizes to 300dpi should out it good and at this size, and anything above 11x14 you should (closeup) see improvement. At 11x14 or less you will not likely without direct compare or better printing process then normal lab see any difference.
For canvases it outs 48x32", at that size D700 starts to look already, depending on subject, "yea, ok". so i say, go for it - one is sure - it will not be worse in any case.

Feb 20, 2012 at 08:56 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #4 · The D800 and printing

I agree with Kittyk

A couple more things to consider.

1) The image you take with the D800 system has to be sharp down to the pixel level to see this difference. It could be limited by other factors already such as vibration/technique blur, motion blur, not best lens used, diffraction (too small an aperture), or comparing points in print not in the plane of focus. Note that being within the standard calculations of DOF is insufficient for this fine a detail. Standard DOF measurements on a FF sensor assume an acceptable blur of .03mm or 30 microns. This is already 6 times larger than the D800 pixel size - ergo the true portions of the image with the extra sharpness is a much narrower distance range around the plane of focus.

2) Depends on the resolution of your printer. A d700 already maxes out what a 300 dpi printer can do for 8x10 image. You would need either a higher dpi printer (effective dpi not their ink drop size) or a larger print to see the difference.

3) Even with a higher dpi printer, the average eye has limited acuity in a similar range.

Bottom line if you get an image that meets all the factors in #1, IMHO
for 8x10 - you won't see a difference
for 10x14 - with careful observation you can see a difference
for 16 x 20 and viewing at 10 inches or closer you will tell the difference.

I think the biggest limiter is taken images with an approach/technique to get a good image where you would be able to see a difference (e..g #1)

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

azbill
• •
p.1 #5 · The D800 and printing

Thank you all for the input.
I'm in the same boat as many others, trying to decide between the D700 and the D800.
Coming from a D300, either should a substantial upgrade.
I didn't expect the D800 to be so many mp's. I was guessing Nikon's next offering would have some sort of a tweaked D3x sensor.

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:19 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · The D800 and printing

well i wasnt expecting so many MPixels either but since they are here, i will put every single of them to a good use .
I am just dying to get it because of native iso 100, dual memory cards and another 100g less of weight.

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:55 AM
azbill
• •
p.1 #7 · The D800 and printing

I agree, those are all very attractive features.
Just so happens my pc recently went south too, so I just upgraded to a very nice Dell.
I guess in that respect, I'm ready for a D800.

Feb 21, 2012 at 03:20 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password