Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon refurbished lenses

Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon refurbished lenses

I am planning to get refurbished lens from Canon, never did this before. Any negative on this? Can I possibly get heavily used and scratched but refurbished inside lens? Or they all look like new? How about return if bad, is it possible with Canon store? Thanks!

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:22 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon refurbished lenses

Seeing that you often have to send a brand new lens (or did, before focus correction capability) in for furbishing - adjusting focus and sometimes replacing defective parts- to get it to a decent performance standard, you might be ahead of the game with a lens that's already re-furbished.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon refurbished lenses

I never returned any Canon lens, did adjustments checks since they use to be free and close to my home anyway, how would that answer anything?

Edited on Feb 20, 2012 at 04:38 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:35 PM
benee
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon refurbished lenses

I've gotten a couple of items refurbished from Canon. Everything was like new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb again.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Sportscaster

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon refurbished lenses

I was fortunate enough to purchased a 5D Mark II as a refurbished camera at a great price. It is my understanding from a Canon repair representative that before a refurbished product is sent out from Canon it has to meet all new camera or lens specifications in all regards, period. It looked like a new camera to me. I have used it extensively and I have not had a moments problem with it.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon refurbished lenses

benee wrote:
I've gotten a couple of items refurbished from Canon. Everything was like new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb again.

So, do they really fixing lens problem and resale or completely rebuild lens? I hope second ...

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon refurbished lenses

Sportscaster wrote:
I was fortunate enough to purchased a 5D Mark II as a refurbished camera at a great price. It is my understanding from a Canon repair representative that before a refurbished product is sent out from Canon it has to meet all new camera or lens specifications in all regards, period. It looked like a new camera to me. I have used it extensively and I have not had a moments problem with it.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:41 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon refurbished lenses

Breitling65 wrote:
I am planning to get refurbished lens from Canon, never did this before. Any negative on this? Can I possibly get heavily used and scratched but refurbished inside lens? Or they all look like new? How about return if bad, is it possible with Canon store? Thanks!

i have bought a few refurbs lens and bodies from canon and they have all looked and worked as new.

no worries

grant

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Jon_Doh
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon refurbished lenses

I bought my 17-40 L lens as a refurb. It came wrapped like new with lens hood, leatherette case and full warranty. The way it was packaged I would not have been able to tell it from a new one. It has been one of my favorite lenses and it performs perfectly. Like others have said, I would not hesitate to buy another refurbed lens. Be careful though, some mail order dealers sell used or open box returns as refurbs, when they are not.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon refurbished lenses

Grantland wrote:
i have bought a few refurbs lens and bodies from canon and they have all looked and worked as new.

no worries

grant

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon refurbished lenses

Jon_Doh wrote:
I bought my 17-40 L lens as a refurb. It came wrapped like new with lens hood, leatherette case and full warranty. The way it was packaged I would not have been able to tell it from a new one. It has been one of my favorite lenses and it performs perfectly. Like others have said, I would not hesitate to buy another refurbed lens. Be careful though, some mail order dealers sell used or open box returns as refurbs, when they are not.

Thanks! How fast is shipping from Canon? Should I allow some extra time since I need lens by certain date?

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:59 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon refurbished lenses

Breitling65 wrote:

like new. You could not tell its used if they didn't ship it in white box or Refurbished sticker

Feb 20, 2012 at 05:01 PM
EricWinemiller

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon refurbished lenses

I have only one data point. I bought my 100 f2.8 L Macro as a refurb. It was flawless. I would not hesitate to buy refurb again.

Feb 20, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon refurbished lenses

I bought a refurb 100L and it was like new. I figure the chances are better than off the shelf for a properly calibrated lens.

The downsides, or compromises, compared to new are: only 90 warranty, slow shipping, and Canon charges any state sales tax.

Sometimes it's a great deal, other times. . . not such a bargain when you add up the shipping, sales tax, and short warranty. All said and done, I got the 100L for about $900, and I think that is a bargain for a terrific lens.

But regards quality, I think you are slightly ahead buying a refurb.

Feb 20, 2012 at 05:14 PM
SzZsu
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon refurbished lenses

I just got my refurbished Canon 70-300 F4.0-F5.6 IS L lens. Looks new handles like new. I would recommend.

Feb 20, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon refurbished lenses

Breitling65 wrote:
Thanks! How fast is shipping from Canon? Should I allow some extra time since I need lens by certain date?

fast. i last bought a 5d2. ordered on monday received on wednesday. not sure if this is standard or if they think i am a celebrity but it was fast.

grant hill

Feb 20, 2012 at 05:49 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon refurbished lenses

Refurbs most often aren't refurbished at all. Most often it's a new lens that someone bought from a large retailer with liberal return privileges, shot it a little bit, decided they didn't like it, and returned it. Nothing wrong with it, but the retailer can't really sell it as new again. So, it goes back to Canon, gets repackaged in a white box and sold as a refurb. In some cases there may actually have been some problem with the lens, but it was within the retailer's return period, so the customer returned it to them for an exchange rather than sending it to Canon under warranty and being without a lens for a couple of weeks. Again, the retailer sends it back to Canon, it gets repaired and sold as refurb. Basically the question is whether the price difference is worth the warranty difference (90 days vs. 1 year). Sometimes the price difference is pretty slight. Puzzling to me is why you can often find Canon refurbs at B&H for less than they sell for on the Canon site.

Feb 20, 2012 at 06:41 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon refurbished lenses

Gunzorro wrote:
I bought a refurb 100L and it was like new. I figure the chances are better than off the shelf for a properly calibrated lens.

The downsides, or compromises, compared to new are: only 90 warranty, slow shipping, and Canon charges any state sales tax.

Sometimes it's a great deal, other times. . . not such a bargain when you add up the shipping, sales tax, and short warranty. All said and done, I got the 100L for about $900, and I think that is a bargain for a terrific lens.

But regards quality, I think you are slightly ahead buying
...Show more

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon refurbished lenses

I only have a single refurbished lens and will certainly be doing that again when the price makes sense (I need there to be a price gap from new otherwise I just buy new).....

My GUESS is they drill a hole into the mount flange on all of em - My RF has it (on the part that mounts flat on the camera flange) and none of the new lenses have that - no issue but I'm guessing they do that for some id purpose. Otherwise it's in immaculate condition and apart from packaging that goes away anyway (sorry - don't have a box collection ).

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password