Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 1Dx and CF?

mxquattro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1Dx and CF?

Everything Im reading, the new 1Dx uses cf vs SD? Is this true? Do you know why this decision was made? Seems like a step back to me.
bob

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 1Dx and CF?

Why a step back? CF is established and I can hold it (I am 50). SDs are to glimpsy for my fingers. Of course SDs are cheaper and I could give it to my customers. But an adaptor is available for less than 20 . There is no CF to SD adaptor out there now, right?

This is a pro body. Why should "pros" through away their trustable CF cards worth thousends of $?

R.

Edited on Feb 20, 2012 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:00 PM
big country
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 1Dx and CF?

They should've stuck w/ sd and cf.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 1Dx and CF?

Pros have never like handling the smaller SD cards.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 1Dx and CF?

big country wrote:
They should've stuck w/ sd and cf.

Read my comment. If I would like to have a SD for my customers I would put it in into an adaptor.
If I shoot for myself I would prefere to have to CF slots for not stopping shooting.

Edited on Feb 20, 2012 at 03:06 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:05 PM
mxquattro
• •
p.1 #6 · 1Dx and CF?

I have no issues in my 1Dm2 using an SD, and they have great capacity. My laptop has a built in SD reader, as does the ipad/ipod (using their little adapter).
Are there speed or capacity advantages to CF?

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 1Dx and CF?

mxquattro wrote:
I have no issues in my 1Dm2 using an SD, and they have great capacity. My laptop has a built in SD reader, as does the ipad/ipod (using their little adapter).
Are there speed or capacity advantages to CF?

I do not think so. Not TODAY. They are even cheaper then CF. But when I started in DSLR SD was not an option. And if there is space enough for two CF- cards why not implementing CF adaptors offering two places for SD? Should be easy and great to have 4 SD cards in your body ...

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:11 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #8 · 1Dx and CF?

CF for me. A good move by Canon IMO. SD is just WAY too fiddly - I want something that has a bit of bulk and doesn't feel like it'll snap if it's windy

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:17 PM
mxquattro
• •
p.1 #9 · 1Dx and CF?

I agree with the flimsiness of SD, but I never had an issue with them. Ive had a fair amount of CF cards become 'unreadable' but admittedly that was long ago and on older cameras. Im just weary I guess. I also have a fair investment in SD cards. Ralph, Im with you, its a good way to have 4 cards in your body.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:20 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · 1Dx and CF?

I've tried both in my 1d mark II. Speed wise, I don't think that body is the best one to use...using both cards, the buffer fills up after 18 shots, and then there's a lag while it catches up with the writing to the card. I haven't seen much of a difference in how fast the body writes to the cards (using a sandisk 16 gig 60 mp/s CF card, and a PNY premium 16 gig SD card), but I'm guessing that the advancements in technology can utilize the faster write speeds of CF over SD now.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 1Dx and CF?

The point for me is:
After 2002 purchasing a 1GB Mikrodrive and later 2 4GB CF cards, an 8 GB one and at least 2 16GB ones, non of them till today (crossed fingers) ever failed. They are all still working (at least after 10 years maximum). I like things that work. I am not sure SDs would not. But I never used them. And just putting them out or in a friends camera was horror (for me). I need to have something in my hands/fingers. That is NOT SD.

R.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:30 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #12 · 1Dx and CF?

thankgod for getting rid of sd. I lost my backup card for the 1ds because it's so friggin' small

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 1Dx and CF?

THAT is YOUR fault!

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:02 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 1Dx and CF?

PhilDWedding wrote:
CF for me. A good move by Canon IMO. SD is just WAY too fiddly - I want something that has a bit of bulk and doesn't feel like it'll snap if it's windy

+1...Also, CF cards are very durable...I'm embarrassed to admit I've washed & dried more than one CF card over the years! Luckily all survived with years of service afterwards!

Omar

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:05 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #15 · 1Dx and CF?

I much prefer CF. CF is sturdy, reliable, proven, and I rarely lose them

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #16 · 1Dx and CF?

CF for me, I was glad they got rid of the SD card, I can use the cards in different bodies too.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · 1Dx and CF?

While I think the migration to the same media type is a step in the right direction I'm surprised they didn't do the same as the D4 and make it CF & XQD

XQD is the future of fast cards

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · 1Dx and CF?

leftymgp wrote:
I much prefer CF. CF is sturdy, reliable, proven, and I rarely lose them

+ 1, also CF is always ahead in speed/size and price drops and rebates.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · 1Dx and CF?

Breitling65 wrote:
+ 1, also CF is always ahead in speed/size and price drops and rebates.

I'm not sure about that

Cf always seems to be more expensive than SD at any given size (where speeds are comparable)

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 1Dx and CF?

every computer i own now has an sd slot. i have never had an issue w/ speed or reliability of an sd card.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password