Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 50D good trade up from 20D?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50D good trade up from 20D?

I really would like to use the Magic Lantern firmware, especially for increased bracketing available for HDR shooting. I looked at the Rebels, but I think I would miss my extra little wheel.
I'm looking for a good low shutter count 50D, would it be a good upgrade for what I need?

Feb 19, 2012 at 09:09 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50D good trade up from 20D?

From my reading, the Magic Lantern port for the 50D is less stable than it is for the 60D and rebels. You may want to consider the 60D for Magic Lantern use.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50D good trade up from 20D?

Or just get a body that will take more than 3 frames. I know the 1d bodies will do 7 in one sequence, at +/- 3 EV.

Feb 20, 2012 at 08:18 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50D good trade up from 20D?

I'd skip the 50D if I was you. I had one for a while, but I was getting better images with my 40d. The 50D and the T1i share a sensor, and it was a fairly short lived sensor for a reason. The 18mp sensor in the 7D, 60D, t2i, t3i seems quite a bit better.

Or stick with a 40D.

Feb 20, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 50D good trade up from 20D?

Wouldn't even consider going back to a 40D,especially after the firmware update for the 50D.

50d Drivers & Software

Bought the 50D and sold the 40D...after about six months bought another 40D...once we did the firmware update,found my wife and I were each wanting to use the 50D more then the 40D...so sold the second 40D and bought another 50D so we each have one...

In AV or TV Mode you can get up to four stops either way...set the AEB to the function button,turn the main dial behind the shutter button to the four stop setting,take the first of the AEB three shots ,press the function button again and using the back quick control wheel to adjust the EC two stops for next three AEB shots and so forth....doing this to get 6-12 AEB shots.

Although I normally shoot M, you can use Av because in M in order to vary the shutter speed you have to use the the top dial which is not as easy and smooth moving as the back dial. I get a six shot spread by doing the following:

In C.Fn. change dial increments to 1/2 stop.
Set AEB to +/- 2.
Continuous drive.
First shot at 0 EC.
Two clicks of the back dial to +1 EC. Second shot.

This gives -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3.
Using a remote release in one hand and the second hand on the back dial, it takes not much more than a second.

You can set the AEB to the function button and have quick access to adjust the exposure compensation.By doing this you can take 6-12 bracketed shots.For more in depth on this read the link below and the folow up comments.

Canon 50D Auto Exposure Bracketing

A few links with alternatives for AEB bracketing with the 50D

Canon 50D bracketing for HDR

Single Image HDR

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password