Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

Tom Kelley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

I'm considering getting this lens. I've read quite a bit about it and it looks excellent. Like everything else, there are different opinions on Macro Photography. Some say you MUST!!!!!! use a tripod regardless of the lens you use. Does anyone have any photos with or without a tripod with this lens? Any opinions from actual users?
Thanks
Tom

Feb 19, 2012 at 02:42 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

personally i think this lens should never had been released.
You have well made 105 and 60 so this one is a little odd to me.
if you on DX 60x1.5 = 90 so you are there. Also you could have it as some future upgrade to FX as well.

My personal opinion is not to invest into this lens and go with 60 or 105.
In case funds are short you could look into Tokina 100 or Tammy - used in about same range.

Just my 0.02c

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

I haven't used the 85 micro, but have used other Nikon and non-Nikon macro lenses from 60 to 180mm. Shooting without some form of stable support is a no-no IMO. Doesn't necessarily have to be a tripod, though - beanbags are workable for field use. At or near to MFD, DoF is wafer thin. The tiniest fore and aft movement whilst hand holding will give very blurry shots. In many cases, you'll have to focus-stack a number of images to get a good final shot with sensible depth and for that a tripod is essential.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Kelley
• •
p.1 #4 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

Thanks, i see your point. I do however like the working distance of the 85 over the 60.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Tom Kelley
• •
p.1 #5 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

gfinlayson wrote:
I haven't used the 85 micro, but have used other Nikon and non-Nikon macro lenses from 60 to 180mm. Shooting without some form of stable support is a no-no IMO. Doesn't necessarily have to be a tripod, though - beanbags are workable for field use. At or near to MFD, DoF is wafer thin. The tiniest fore and aft movement whilst hand holding will give very blurry shots. In many cases, you'll have to focus-stack a number of images to get a good final shot with sensible depth and for that a tripod is essential.

I've heard and read a lot about the razor thin DOF. I'm thinking maybe a Monopod may be suitable, what do you think? I have a tripod but it seems like it would be a pain to move around every time you take a shot.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon 85 mm Micro VR

In terms of camera movement/blur etc., at 1:1 magnification the focal length is mostly irrelevant, though obviously handholding 180mm lens is going to be a bit more difficult than a 60mm lens. I would say 90% of the images in the macro forum here are shot handheld but they are also full flash, which basically eliminates camera shake. If you are shooting natural light then a tripod is a must in most situations.

Cheers
Leigh

Feb 20, 2012 at 01:25 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password