Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

surly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

Hola folks,
I have had a WFT-E5A grip for my 7D for a while and never played with it. I guess I got busy and chose to shoot with my old camera. Anyway I have been trying to set it up and not having a very much success.

It's finally connected to my network, or at least not giving me a failure message. The problem is that when I try to pair it or even go into the WFT Settings menue the camera screen intermittently goes black and I have to hit the menue button again to get back to the menue...like the camera or WFT crashes. On top of that if I dont turn off the camera the WFT setting is gone from the menue.

My computer (Mac) has "seen" the camera at some point in this ordeal but before I can try and control it with the EOS Utility it "poops the bed" and I have to start over.

Google's got nothing to offer so I thought I would ask here before.....contacting Canon.

BTW firmware is up to date on the grip and the body.

Thanks

Feb 19, 2012 at 04:46 AM
surly
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

Well I dont feel so bad if 113 other folks dont know whats up with this thing either

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:10 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

Just a guess, but the most obvious gremlin might be a problem of intermittent contract between between grip and camera. That would result in the computer recognizing the grip but not being able to control the camera and might explain the random crashes.

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surly
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

cgardner wrote:
Just a guess, but the most obvious gremlin might be a problem of intermittent contract between between grip and camera. That would result in the computer recognizing the grip but not being able to control the camera and might explain the random crashes.

Thanks Chuck. I blew out the contacts and it looks seated well. Still could be a problem but it looks clean in there.

Feb 20, 2012 at 07:17 PM
surly
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

Here is an update, if it might save anyone else some trouble later:

I've got it working in WFT Server mode which is where you basically connect to your WFT grip and use a browser to control the camera or peruse the images. This mode doesn't appear to be designed for showing your results full screen as you shoot

I still havent found out how to get it to work in FTP mode or using EOS Utility. Tho' I expect that EOS Utility is finicky and FTP mode is the way to go. If I can steal an iPad from my wife or son I might install Photosnitch, which appears to offer the functionality I want. Additionally running FTP server on one of my machines should also work.

All in all its confusing at least partially due to the functionality offered. I might be an idiot but I do work in IT so I gotta think either they dont sell a lot of these or they are sitting in drawers unused because folks couldn't figure them out... prolly it's my idiocy.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM
gene A.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7d WFT-E5A crash

I tried to use one of these when they first came out for event work, and overall I found the experience very frustrating. There were really no instructions you had to set up an FTP server on the host computer and synch it with the camera. I had no luck trying to get it to work, so I retained a network administrator to help me get it sorted out. He got it set up but in use it was slow, if I turned away from the host computer it sometimes wouldn't transmit through my body, or would randomly shut down requiring us to reboot everything. I really couldn't troubleshoot it on my own as I didn't understand how it worked. I couldn't understand why Canon didn't include the software to make it work and I finally gave up and sold it. Now maybe the latest version is easier to use but I'm not going to try it.

Feb 21, 2012 at 02:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password