Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · The 7D ...

veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · The 7D ...

I'm reading and hearing a ton of stories about serious focus issues with the 7D, most common being inaccuracy; far fewer keepers than even the cheaper Canons. True? Not true? What's the scoop? I was considering getting one.

- Steve

Feb 18, 2012 at 02:57 AM
katzung1
• • •
p.1 #2 · The 7D ...

Hi Steve:
I've had a 7D for over a year and am not aware of any focus issues that I can't ascribe to user error. Where did you see these "ton of stories"?
Bert

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:00 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · The 7D ...

Not true Steve...

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:01 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · The 7D ...

katzung1 wrote:
Hi Steve: I've had a 7D for over a year and am not aware of any focus issues that I can't ascribe to user error. Where did you see these "ton of stories"?
Bert

One place is right here on fm.com, under the user reviews of the 7D.
- Steve

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:14 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · The 7D ...

Steve, people are dumb.

Go to my website, I leave info up on purpose.

7D is a just dandy camera.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #6 · The 7D ...

Love my 7D, not come across any focusing issues other than the odd minor back or front focus on a lens that gets sorted by MA. Very reliable and good AF system in comparison to other cameras I've had

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:19 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #7 · The 7D ...

Focusing is great.....the sky noise is not.

Edited on Feb 18, 2012 at 03:39 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:38 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #8 · The 7D ...

Steve,

I have had what appears to be back focus problems with the 7D. Could be user stupidity or maybe there is copy variation. I do know that with the same lenses in the same gym using a 1DIII, I get more keepers than I can with a 7D. My experience with the 7D (basketball in horribly lit HS gyms shooting wide open with 85 f/1.8 and 135 f/2.0L) I often get/got a frame filled with action but the focus on the 1/4 of the image where the stands are. Still working on the problem, but am about to dump the 7D and keep the 1DIII. Obviously, others are having better results, so I really don't have a definite answer.

Robert

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:38 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · The 7D ...

In AI servo, the initial custom function defaults were stupid. Also, zone AF locks on whatever is nearest, which is often the wrong thing. Don't use zone AF, and tune the camera properly and it is - as robert lynn said - dandy.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #10 · The 7D ...

I'm almost finished editing my album shot at an (unexpected) air show in Cozumel. I went on a dive vacation so with the current luggage regulations I just took a 7D & Tamron 18-270 & I'm more than happy with my results. I'll post a link to my album when it's done (no later than Sunday night). AF worked VERY well.

Larry

Edited on Feb 18, 2012 at 03:46 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

twoshadows
• • •
p.1 #11 · The 7D ...

I had one that was a mess AF-wise - so yeah, I might be one of those stories (though I haven't complained about it all that much online) - wouldn't work with some of my lenses, most notably my 70-200 II. Not a front focus or back focus issue either. Just overall softness and lens micro-adjust was totally inconsistent. And no, it wasn't a user error issue.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #12 · The 7D ...

I've mentioned this in other similar threads: I had one that I had to send back to Canon four times because of inconsistent single-shot AF. They sent me a (new) replacement after the fourth trip, and that one had the same issue. One trip back to Canon got that one working all right. I've never attempted AI Servo, so I have no comment on that.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:51 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #13 · The 7D ...

The is a guy on potn that was having serious issues. I recently started having focus issues w my main mk iv and it was the af system/sub mirror assembly had come out of alignment. Canon replaced the shoe deal and so far so good.

I have no idea how it came out of alignment. It has 102,000 shutter clicks. Canon said it could've been a number of things that caused it.

So w my experience I wonder if some of these 7ds don't have a similar issue.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:52 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #14 · The 7D ...

I had no trouble staying on target even though there was a lot of other things for the AF to lock onto. (edited while on vacation with a netbook)

I'm more than happy with the results from the many other shots made while panning with the crowd in the foreground, especially when you consider the lens choice.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:53 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · The 7D ...

Mine has been faultless with focusing.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:55 AM
twoshadows
• • •
p.1 #16 · The 7D ...

big country wrote:
...So w my experience I wonder if some of these 7ds don't have a similar issue.

I've wondered the same thing...

Feb 18, 2012 at 04:13 AM
learyt

p.1 #17 · The 7D ...

quite honestly, most problems are either user error or user ignorance. I was one who was initially upset with AF but learned to find that most issues were due to my lack of experience. Mostly I'm a lurker on these forums so I did not contribute to any of the BS about 7D focus issues but had I'd been one to quickly complain before actually figuring out where the problem was then I would have also added on to the pile. The camera is fine, take some time and learn how to use it, especially if moving from a P&S or rebel type camera. After some time you'll be impressed with how good it actually is.

Feb 18, 2012 at 04:16 AM
learyt

p.1 #18 · The 7D ...

galenapass wrote:
Focusing is great.....the sky noise is not.

Probably agree with this. Seems as if the 7D sensor is a little harsh with the blue channel. If printing "average" size photos I think you would never notice. But if you do have a shot that you would want to print large it's easy enough to grab the blue channel in PS and apply some NR. Life is full of compromises, learn what they are and adjust accordingly.

Feb 18, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #19 · The 7D ...

No problems with the AF with mine but AE seems to be a bit inconsistant. Take 4 shots of the same scene and one always seems 2/3 stop underexposed. The camera seems to be very sensitive to what is under the focussing point, more so than the XTi I had.

Feb 18, 2012 at 07:14 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · The 7D ...

Disregarding the focusing issues (which, I might add, are valid for some people), it was the image quality that ultimately proved to be the 7D's downfall for me. The blue channel showed it most obviously, but overall noise for 100 ISO was higher than on any other DSLR I've owned. I've only had a short time with the 5D MkII after selling the 7D two weeks ago, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that ISO 800 seems pretty similar to the 7D's 100 ISO. Overall file quality is significantly better with the 5D MkII, including shadow banding which could be atrocious with the 7D (feel free to call it operator error, but I think there should be some latitude in a file to open the shadows a bit in some circumstances). I personally hate the softening effects of NR, and could not find a way to process a 7D file that would hold up in very large prints, even compared to the lowly 1Ds (whose file quality at low ISOs I'm still enamored with, in some respects).

Everyone's mileage varies, and calling people out as incompetent when they may truly have hardware issues is a bit narrow-minded.

Feb 18, 2012 at 07:15 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password