Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · 25 for EOS
  
 
Tom Dix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 25 for EOS


EOS 650 was released 25 years ago today, if my memory is correct. Happy B-Day EOS!


Feb 18, 2012 at 01:28 AM
anandnvi
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 25 for EOS


If your memory is correct?! Do you really remember the event?


Feb 18, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Tom Dix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 25 for EOS


Well yeah; it was a huge deal. I still have some of my first EOS stuff.


Feb 18, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Monito
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 25 for EOS


Yes. 1987 for EOS.

At the time, people thought that Canon had sat on a keg of cannon powder and dropped a match into it. The complaining at the time was ferocious. All of the grumbling you see about all of Canon's digital cameras put together is a fraction of the howling back then. People who proclaim loudly in this very forum that Canon is hopelessly doomed because it is supposedly clueless about marketing and technology and building and selling SLRs because of the 5D II are shown to be uneducated about the history of the company and the cameras they use.

Time has proven that Canon, moving at its own speed, not being first at much including Autofocus technology, made the wisest decision possible. Look at Nikon and all their fumbling around with kludgy tabs and doodads and an compatibility / incompatibility chart with 241 cases.

I have two lenses from 1989 and a camera from then. Don't know about the camera, but I still use the lenses.



Feb 18, 2012 at 01:53 AM
bushwacker
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 25 for EOS





First Canon EOS Camera.... what a beauty.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1986-1990/1987_eos650.html

Edited on Feb 18, 2012 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions



Feb 18, 2012 at 01:58 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 25 for EOS


Tom Dix wrote:
Well yeah; it was a huge deal. I still have some of my first EOS stuff.


my first camera (EOS 650)
got it with 35-70mm kit lens
body has broken shutter now, it's somewhere or other
still have the kit lens

got it late summer 1987 just before we went on vacation



Feb 18, 2012 at 01:59 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 25 for EOS


Monito wrote:
Yes. 1987 for EOS.

At the time, people thought that Canon had sat on a keg of cannon powder and dropped a match into it. The complaining at the time was ferocious. All of the grumbling you see about all of Canon's digital cameras put together is a fraction of the howling back then. People who proclaim loudly in this very forum that Canon is hopelessly doomed because it is supposedly clueless about marketing and technology and building and selling SLRs because of the 5D II are shown to be uneducated about the history of the company and the cameras they
...Show more

I disagree, the EOS showed them when they were daring and willing to move forward, now they are fat and slow the last number of years. Very different.



Feb 18, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Marco
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 25 for EOS


Sorry but Nikon approach was wiser.
History has proven that you can have G-lenses with all the bells whistles (just like Eos lenses) without reinventing the bayonet and declare the previous FD system DEAD, like it is now.
You can still use most Nikkor F manual lenses on the 2012 Nikon D800 and they can even show correct exif data.
This is sad also because many FD lenses were outstanding.



Feb 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 25 for EOS


I do not remember the date. But it was march, wasn´t it?

R.



Feb 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Monito
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 25 for EOS


Marco wrote:
Sorry but Nikon approach was wiser.


Nikon compatibility chart:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

It took Nikon a long time to abandon their shafts and prongs and see the light.

Nikon has difficulty making some lenses that Canon offers because of the shallow box Nikon has and the narrow mouth they have.

By the way, Nikkor lenses fit on Canons with an adapter, but not the other way around.



Feb 18, 2012 at 02:31 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



eosfun
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 25 for EOS


Sorry but Nikon approach was wiser. History has proven that you can have G-lenses with all the bells whistles (just like Eos lenses) without reinventing the bayonet and declare the previous FD system DEAD, like it is now. You can still use most Nikkor F manual lenses on the 2012 Nikon D800 and they can even show correct exif data. This is sad also because many FD lenses were outstanding.

Well this is just one opinion. Canon did a serious attempt to bring Af in the FD mount. Their T80 was a camera that tried to include AF in the FD system. However, the bulky size of the 35-70AF lens as well as the slow and relatively noisy AF could not match Minolta's successful 7000 AF system. Canon management realised that the mount needed to be bigger and provided with modern digital communcations to be ready for later progression in technology of electronics and optics (EOS). That's why they decided to start with a whole new system that rapidly proved to be better than any of it's competitors. Nikon's philosophy may have been the basis for a more versatile system for some time, but after the market adapted to the shift of paradigm that all cameras should be AF based, Nikon's system was caught in it's own limitations chosen for backward compatibility.

Today, I am one of the photographers who is amazed that none of the relatively newcomers in the market of DSLR's did not introduce completely new system elements because greenfield thinking is a possibility for those newcomers since they have no heritage to protect. My bet is that the road Sony went with their NEX system is an indication where the market is heading. A Korean or Chinese manufacturer that has the guts to bring revolutionary new designs based on out of the box thinking on a high quality level has good chances in a market where traditional photo manufacturers like Olympus, Pentax, Kodak, Hasselblad, Rollei, Mamiya and others have become in great trouble. Trouble that neither the current market leaders Nikon and Canon have been immune from. Nikon seems to come back with some interesting new models, but has some (financially) bad years behind them. They lost too much marketshare in the compact camera market where they once were very succesful with their Coolpix 900 swivel models, this, combined whith their dependency from technology from great competitors, makes them very vulnerable. Canon is not immune for future trouble either.

I was at the meeting from Canon when they introduced their EOS system march 2.nd 1987, a terrible winterday with ice rain that day. Within a few days it's exactly 25 years now. Critique from some visitor that meeting on the discontinuity with the FD system and scepsis about a complete new EOS system at the time have been proven wrong. But today Canon faces the challenge to make new great steps. If not, the end of EOSfun is around the corner. Some competitor will take the market overnight with a convincing new camera concept. Again this is just around the corner. The technology is available. The market potential is latent but overwhelming. The ideas and power for innovation are only limited by the power and courage of management of cameramanufacturers. somehow I have the impression they are in different boardrooms than Shimaruko along the Tamagawa river.

Enjoy the EOSfun at your birthday party! I'll ignite a candle for Canon



Feb 18, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Tom Dix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 25 for EOS


February 17 is the exact launch date of Eos 650. I remember it as such and confirmed it with Chuck.


Feb 18, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 25 for EOS


Canon Camera museum says just March 1987

@ eosfun:
"I was at the meeting from Canon when they introduced their EOS system march 2.nd 1987, a terrible winterday with ice rain that day."

:-)

EOS does not really look like a fault:
Over 50 Millions EOS Cameras and 70 Million lenses in less then 25 years do not look like not beeing successful to me ...



Feb 18, 2012 at 06:57 PM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 25 for EOS


I wish the 5d X looks like the T90!

Tank FTW....



Feb 18, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Tom Dix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 25 for EOS


T90 was a cool looking camera.


Feb 18, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Tom Dix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 25 for EOS


Exactly 25 years ago to the day, February 17th, 1987: Canon USA launched the EOS 650, the very first camera in the world's best selling autofocus SLR system of all time. With cumulative sales of more than 50 million EOS cameras and 70 million EF lenses since then, Happy Birthday EOS!

From Chuck Westfall

Worth celebrating!



Feb 18, 2012 at 07:20 PM
eosfun
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 25 for EOS


@Ralph and Tom,

It could be perfectly well that the meeting I attended then was just the Benelux intro a few weeks after some international introduction anywhere else at february 17th or so. It's just that I can remember that date of the second of march 1987 still perfectly well because it was related to a personal happening that day and the fact that a tree in my garden broke down as a result of an ice rain that day. Immediately after I had taken measures to have the tree removed later on that day I went to the meeting with my boss in the camerastore to attend the EOS introduction. It was the very first day of EOSfun in my life



Feb 18, 2012 at 07:55 PM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 25 for EOS


Ralph Conway wrote:
Canon Camera museum says just March 1987...


Try here:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/20years.do



Feb 18, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 25 for EOS


17th of Feb. Canon europe seems to know better then Canon USA


Feb 18, 2012 at 08:08 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 25 for EOS


eosfun wrote:
Nikon's philosophy may have been the basis for a more versatile system for some time, but after the market adapted to the shift of paradigm that all cameras should be AF based, Nikon's system was caught in it's own limitations chosen for backward compatibility.


What?! I agree that it was a good decision of Nikon to have 100% compatibility with the old lenses. C'on even in the 80s it would have been technically possible for Canon to find an adaptation for old FD lenses with the new EF mount. I am convinced that this was done just for marketing reasons and to enforce sales of new EF lenses. I don't see where Nikon's system should have limitations for backward compatibility. It is still funny to see that you can find adapters to mount pretty much any other brand lens on a Canon DSLR camera, but not the own older FD lenses without having a severe drawback in IQ (or by buying a $$$$ Canon adapter which is very hard to find) for infinity focus capabilities.



Feb 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password