New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Wich 85mm?

Dennis H.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wich 85mm?

After using the 105 f2 DC for a few months I sold my 85 f1.4D. I like the colors much better with the 105 especially skin tones. I don’t think you can find a better portrait lens, well maybe the 200 f2 if you can afford it.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Mattski1
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wich 85mm?

I too am a Sigma 85/1.4 owner. I love the look and performance of the lens, but i'll sound a note of caution that I wasn't totally impressed with its sharpness until I dialed in the focus fine tuning on my D700. That bit of work has paid off big time. FWIW, I think a bit of front focusing is fairly typical with large aperture primes.

Feb 20, 2012 at 01:08 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wich 85mm?

Dennis H. wrote:
After using the 105 f2 DC for a few months I sold my 85 f1.4D. I like the colors much better with the 105 especially skin tones. I don’t think you can find a better portrait lens, well maybe the 200 f2 if you can afford it.

I agree that the colors of the 105 F2 DC are especially nice. The 200 F2 is fantastic wide open. I have a screen saver shot that I "borrowed" off the web that I like with that 200mm lens. It is a headshot. My earlier attempts using the 105 F2 DC fell short because I did not fully understand that the lens does not totally wipe a background but that it is to be used naturally instead. Discipline paid off and I am totally convinced of it's very special qualities now. I appreciate what I have seen with the 85 F1.4 lenses wide open.

Feb 20, 2012 at 01:43 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wich 85mm?

Dennis H. wrote:

I agree, both DC lenses have the best skin tones I have seen in any lens.

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:42 AM
rmc1
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wich 85mm?

williamkazak wrote:
Does everyone prefer the 85mm focal length choices over the 105 F2 DC lens? I have had the Nikon 85 F2 Ais for film (F3) bodies. I liked it for weddings and for many years it was essential to my kit. I had the Nikon 85 F1.8 AFD (twice) and I used it on DX but I am liking the 105 F2 DC right now and I am on my third one because I finally feel comfortable with it. I like the extra length more than 85mm now.

My 85 f/1.4D focuses properly on my camera while my 105 f/2 DC doesn't, so I prefer the 85 due to that. Reading various places online I know this is a not-uncommon issue.

I think I like the 85 focal length better anyway, and I know I prefer the more compact size of the lens and that it has a normal hood instead of the extendable one.

Feb 20, 2012 at 04:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wich 85mm?

Thorsten wrote:
I agree, both DC lenses have the best skin tones I have seen in any lens.

So are folks using the focus de-focus control feature with these lenses or generally no?

Feb 20, 2012 at 06:47 AM
clew
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Wich 85mm?

I dunno if anyone else has had a slight issue with the AF-S setting (D3) on the 85 if your subject moves slightly, but occasionally I have to find something closer in to focus on before going back to the subject. It's like the AF still thinks the subject is in focus and won't refocus unless I "prove" the subject is out of focus. I do not have this problem on my AFS lenses or even my 1.4 50 D prime. At shallow depths of field, this can be a headache.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:18 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Wich 85mm?

If shopping right now (and I just did this recently), my decision would be about how much I wanted to spend, versus how much I felt the "need for speed".

I looked at the 1.4D (already had one), the 1.4G and the 1.8adfD (also have one).

The 1.4G was a tad bit faster to AF, although in real world work, not notably so. It was more contrasty, but again, not hugely so, and had better sharpness once you hit around F2.2.

The 1.8 afd is too slow in general. I would use it as I have already, as a backup lens in case of failure of my 1.4. The 1.8 hit targets faster overall, which I liked, but at F2 is only sort of sharp, where the 1.4 lenses are both great by F2.

The 1.4 Af-D is a happy in-between, being sharp as a tack at F2, and acceptable at f1.6. AF is solid, (much quicker than my Canon 1.2 II was), but not as quick as the 1.8D. It is also a tiny bit slower that the 1.4G.

I selected the 1.4D (again) and will eventually sell the 1.8D.

If I were doing this again, I would also order this new 1.8G and test it. From what I see, it will be about as good at 1.8 as the both 1.4's. In that case, and assuming it can acquire AF as fast as the 1.4's, that would be a great choice. Depends if you want every last bit of speed/bokeh.

The cost of the 1.4G is twice that of the Af-D, so that helped my choice.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.