Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Wich 85mm?

rt007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wich 85mm?

If you should get a 85mm now, would you go for the old Nikon 85mm f1,4D or the new 85mm 1,8G?

Feb 17, 2012 at 05:01 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #2 · Wich 85mm?

I am waiting to hear a review of the new 1.8 G, I am trying to decide wether the extra money spent on the 1.4 G is worth it over the new 85 1.8G.

Feb 17, 2012 at 05:13 PM
rt007
• •
p.1 #3 · Wich 85mm?

I found this one:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_afs_nikkor_85mm_f1_8g_review/

Feb 17, 2012 at 05:15 PM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #4 · Wich 85mm?

I bought the 85 f1.4 D about 4 years ago. Far and away, it is the best portrait lens that I've ever owned (I mainly use it for outdoor portraits in natural light). I've also used it for indoor sports (HS Volleyball and Basketball) and have been very pleased with the results.

When the new lens was announced (G version), I briefly toyed with the idea of upgrading. After much consideration, I chose to stick with the version that I already owned. The main deciding factor for me was that the new G version does not have VR. I shoot all of my portraits on a tripod (and AFS nor VR matters to me in that instance). However, most of my indoor sports and event shooting is handheld. While AFS would allow slightly faster focus for these indoor events, the lack of VR for this type of shooting was the deal breaker for me.

If you can get a good deal on a clean used copy of the 85 f1.4 D, I'd imagine that you'd be quite happy.

Good luck with your decision.

Sincerely,
David - a Colorado Nikonian

Feb 17, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Wich 85mm?

I'd go for the Sigma 85mm f/1.4

I prefer the look to either of the Nikkors. The Sigma may not be as durable as the Nikkors, but it's AF appears to be faster.

Feb 17, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Wich 85mm?

I owned the 1.4D for years, and it's wonderful -- but I shoot a lot of very low light performance stuff, which was a challenge with its relatively weak AF performance and lack of easy manual override. After trying both the 1.4G and the Sigma, I chose the Sigma, and it's been great. It has more contrast and saturation than the 1.4D at wide stops, and the faster low light AF and instant manual override is great.

I still have a soft spot for the 1.4D's cool, graceful tonality at wide stops, but the Sigma is a more flexible lens, and I don't think I've taken a single shot with it that I felt would have been better with the D.

The shots I've seen from the 1.8G suggest it's a nice incremental upgrade to the 1.8D, but it doesn't seem likely to draw as nicely as any of the 1.4s (even at the same stops).

Feb 17, 2012 at 06:04 PM
innovis
• •
p.1 #7 · Wich 85mm?

Jammy Straub wrote:
I'd go for the Sigma 85mm f/1.4

I prefer the look to either of the Nikkors. The Sigma may not be as durable as the Nikkors, but it's AF appears to be faster.

I have to disagree. I had a Sigma 85 1.4 with the same impression only to had rented a Nikkor to try it out and found that it outperformed the Sigma in af AND sharpness. Been loving these lens since.

Feb 17, 2012 at 06:11 PM
rt007
• •
p.1 #8 · Wich 85mm?

I have had the Sigma 85 1,4 but sold it pretty quick since the performance was bad. Very much CA and hunted a lot in low light. I might have got a bad copy but it did not leave a good impression

Feb 17, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Wich 85mm?

I think light levels have a a lot to do with relative AF speed of these lenses. In bright light, the 1.4D may actually be the fastest, perhaps followed by the 1.4G. In my experience, the Sigma was the best in dim light.

It's all pretty subjective, though, without controlled testing. I don't think there's a big gap between the G and the Sigma, in any case. Both are quite a bit better than the D in challenging circumstances.

Feb 17, 2012 at 06:29 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Wich 85mm?

Smiert Spionam wrote:
I owned the 1.4D for years, and it's wonderful -- but I shoot a lot of very low light performance stuff, which was a challenge with its relatively weak AF performance and lack of easy manual override. After trying both the 1.4G and the Sigma, I chose the Sigma, and it's been great. It has more contrast and saturation than the 1.4D at wide stops, and the faster low light AF and instant manual override is great.

I still have a soft spot for the 1.4D's cool, graceful tonality at wide stops, but the Sigma is a more flexible lens,
...Show more

Yes, that is similar to what I have concluded from early shots posted that compared all three lenses (1.8D, 1.8G and the 1.4G). The new 1.8G looks as sharp as the 1.4G (maybe better contrast as well) and sharper than the 1.8D. However, The bokeh does not look as good as the 1.4G, but better than the 1.8D. I currently have a 1.8D and thus the 1.8G looks like a great upgrade. But, coming from a 1.4, that would be a more difficult decision.

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Wich 85mm?

Sigma is great. I owned the Nikon's and I just cold not get past the slow focus.

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Wich 85mm?

From what I personally experienced:

Nikon 85/1.4 D: great for portraiture, noisy when operates, focus is inconsistent, the hood is a PITA when travelling

Nikon 85/1.4 G: great optics, very quiet, very slow AF but very precise - the copy I tested was soft wide open, stopped down is truly sharp across the frame

Sigma 85/1.4: outperforms wide open and in AF speed Nikon G version, very precise focus for my copy, corners are not sharp even stopped down (who cares?), more CA than I want, is bulky and heavy - this is a serious drawback for me, comes with two hoods, different one for FX and DX bodies

Nikon 85/1.8 AF-S - not tested yet but from what I see it is much better than 85/1.8 AF-D. Definitely for portraiture it is behind any f1.4 version but as a general purpose and for travel is a very solid option. I'll probably get one.

Just for portraits... Nikon 85/1.4 AI-S and Samyang/Rokinon 85/1.4 are very good performers too. Of course with Manual Focus.

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:56 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Wich 85mm?

Hmmm....after so many endorsements the Sigma may be something to look at. In fact, I can't recall a single person that was unhappy with that lens, except for Canon users that couldn't get their copy to focus. But this seems to be less of an issue for Nikon users.

Edit: I have the Canon mount Rokinon. I am blown away by the IQ of this lens, especially for the price.

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:59 PM
fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #14 · Wich 85mm?

The price of the 1.4D (used) is still around $800-$900. I would go with the $500 new 1.8G because I don't really need 1.4. If the prices are the same, it is more difficult for me to choose.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Nijay
• •
p.1 #15 · Wich 85mm?

If you can forego AF, the Rokinon is far and away the best value.

But if you are willing to spend $8-900, I don't think the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 can be beat. Is it a $500 upgrade over the 1.8's? In my experience it is but of course, that's a question only you can answer.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Wich 85mm?

The Nikon 85mm f1.4G is very good.
At half the price in Australia, the Sigma was was a no brainer to me.
Plus fast focusing, and sharp at f1.4.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Wich 85mm?

Apologies for continuing to say this, but it may be valuable for some:

The handling of any of the AF 1.4s in your bag will be improved with a slimmer hood. I use the old Nikon HN-28, and never remove it. It fits much better in my bag that way, and I have zero problems with vignetting.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:34 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #18 · Wich 85mm?

+ extra post on Sigma
I have one for 5 month now and simply love it. AF is faster then 1.4G, I rented to compare since was on the fence with it. I love colour that sigma produces over nikons as well.

I would try them all first before committing to one

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Wich 85mm?

Does everyone prefer the 85mm focal length choices over the 105 F2 DC lens? I have had the Nikon 85 F2 Ais for film (F3) bodies. I liked it for weddings and for many years it was essential to my kit. I had the Nikon 85 F1.8 AFD (twice) and I used it on DX but I am liking the 105 F2 DC right now and I am on my third one because I finally feel comfortable with it. I like the extra length more than 85mm now.

Edited on Feb 19, 2012 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Wich 85mm?

I went for the Sigma HSM and I am very happy with my choice. The recent Nikkors are just ridiculously priced in Europe... even if quality is slightly better, paying twice the price does not make sense to me anymore.
The new 1.8 could be a very interesting choice as well. The 1.4 thin DOF is special but I quickly get tired of the effect and shoot closed down most of the time in practice.

Guy

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password