Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Lethal_weapon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Been doing some thinking and gear shuffling and trying to figure out my best options for landscape (and Architecture, buildings , churchs etc) and indoor (with out flash)
Using a 5DMKII , I figure wide and fast and maybe something with a little reach.
I picked up the Samyang 14 2.8 and figured it would be great for the ultra wide landscape but I am looking for something for Buildings and architecture and indoors (churchs, museums)
I have never used a Leica or Carl Zeiss lens but have been trolling the web looking at reviews and pictures and have been impressed by the IQ (but not as much by the $$)
Canon has the 35 1.4 which also has good reviews but if you were a betting man and had the $$ to buy the Canon , Carl Zeiss or Leica (or even the Samyung ) offering, Where would your hard earned cash go to?
I figure a 24-105 and 120-300 2.8 for the birdies would be good? (not scared to carry a little weight!)

thanks!

Ben

Feb 16, 2012 at 07:21 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Lethal_weapon wrote:
(not scared to carry a little weight!)

You'll probably want to carry a tripod for still-life stuff, allowing you to stop down and consider slower lenses.

It'll also give you the option to stitch, which would be very useful if you don't want to worry about getting ultra wide angel lenses.

Feb 16, 2012 at 07:28 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Seeing what you currently own, I would rather go for a T/S lens like 24/3.5.

Feb 16, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

In the title, you mention "travel" as a concern, but it does not seem to appear too much in your post afterwards, and I see you are taking the 120-300 ? So what is the reason why you are hunting for a 35/1.4 specifically ?

Feb 16, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #5 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

indoor and Architecture, buildings , churchs etc
I will be travelling and want to take the best lens I can
looks like the itinerary will be European with Paris, Florence, Brussels, Italy (Malfi coast (spelling?) and the southern part of France.
the 120-300 is for the first part of the trip on my own for sports photography and birding (which I will buy there.:-)
I used to use my Sigma 50 1.4 for indoors but it definately was not wide enough

Feb 16, 2012 at 08:00 PM
gpop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

I have the ze/2, the 35L and samyang.
each really has a different 'flavor', and that might pull you toward one or the other.
bang for buck - the samyang.
the ze has very strong vignetting (until f4?), strong enough that I'd recommend you use it to see if it suits you.
the 35L has the auto focus(you know that), and it's a very fine lens, imo.

I got all three thinking I'd keep the one that I preferred. bad move on my part.

35mm is about all they have in common, you really need to see what YOU do/don't like about each to make an educated decision.

as long as you're considering alts, maybe toss in the c/y 28/2.8 ?

edit: if I had dump all but one, I'd keep the 35L (mostly because I love it on the 5d more than anything)

Feb 16, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #7 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Indoors, and in the typically narrow old towns in Europe, 35mm might not be wide enough, many times. So, I'd take my 24L f1.4 mkII instead. For people shots and general street shooting, the 35L is excellent, though. It is by far my most used lens, on the 5DmkII. Also, if low light is not a priority, but architecture is, the TS-E 24mm would be even better, I think.

Feb 16, 2012 at 08:49 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

35/1.4L is one of my favorite lenses. I just love the FOV on a full frame body and the opening speed of 1.4 is great for creating "depth" in the picture by seperating subject and background. But then you said 'indoor and architecture'. Hmmm that's not typically the kind of combination. I find a 24 or wider fits better in general for that domains. I would rather pick a 24 TS-E a Zeiss Distagon if you like Zeiss glass, or maybe even a 16-35L mkII zoom to be versatile in those areas. But then again, it's your photostyle and needs that define what you want. If 35 is your favorite indoor FL and you do architecture in/from great buildings with enough of space around you in general, than why not? There is EOSfun in every lens you mentioned, as long as you mount it to your EF mount body

Feb 16, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

I went to Prague, Rome, Brussels and Normandy last year and my most used lens was the 24 TS-E II lens. Great for architecture. I didn't take a tripod, but upped the ISO and used something to hold the camera on (like a church pew, park bench, etc.). Worked really well. I used the shift feature A LOT!

I'll try to post an example when I have a few minutes.

Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Here's one taken in low light with the 24 TS-E II in Prague. You're going to need to stop down anyway, so the large aperture may not be too helpful.

Feb 16, 2012 at 09:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #11 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

very nice shot!
I have the Samyang 14 2.8?
would that be a good choice as well?

Feb 16, 2012 at 09:47 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

Yes! The Samyang is great for architecture and indoor. It has become a great source of EOSfun to me. It's my only non-Canon lens in the bag at the moment, and it's one of my favourites. Take it with you, you won't regret it.

Feb 16, 2012 at 09:52 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #13 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

I agree with those who say 35mm may be too long. Indoors is where wide angles thrive. The 24 TS-E is great for indoor shots, and you will use the shift if you have it. Another favorite of many shooters is the Zeiss 21mm 2.8. That seems to work for everything, indoors and out, and it isn't tripod-centric like the Canon.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

In europe wide is good and I was going to suggest the zeiss 18 or 21mm... The 24mm TSE is great but it is large and heavy and really best on a tripod

Feb 18, 2012 at 05:31 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

mark1958 wrote:
In europe wide is good and I was going to suggest the zeiss 18 or 21mm... The 24mm TSE is great but it is large and heavy and really best on a tripod

+1

Feb 18, 2012 at 05:43 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

I was in Venice for 3 days, Florence for 3 days and I am in Rome now for another 3 days. My main lens is the 17-40L but I also take with me (most of the time) the 24L and (sometimes) my 70-200L II. Space is very tight for most old European cities and I think a zoom lens like the 16-35L or 17-40L is very practical. Be prepared to do a lot of walking so you need to keep it as light as possible.

Feb 18, 2012 at 05:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

retrofocus wrote:
Seeing what you currently own, I would rather go for a T/S lens like 24/3.5.

+1

For architecture it's a no brainer.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #18 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

The 35L is great as a general lens but I found the 16-35 more useful for my city trips.

Feb 18, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #19 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

If I had to take a 35mm for a 5D it would be the zeiss 35/1.4. Just stunning picture quality and MF is after some practice also fast enough.

As of wide angle needed, I live in europe, in the center of Amsterdam (quite small to), and my most used lens is a 35mm (28 on a crop body, so actually 37mm) and I almost only shoot architecture and city life.

More wide angle can be good, but a 35mm can be a nice add to your current lenses. Certainly when you already have some wides (14/2.8)

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Best 35MM 1.4 for travel...

mark1958 wrote:

Zeiss 18 f/3.5 Distagon: 510g, 87mm Dia X 85mm L
Zeiss 21 f/2.8 Distagon: 720g, 87mm Dia X 112mm L
Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5L: 570g, 78mm Dia X 87mm L

The Canon is not large and heavy, and I use it all the time off tripod.

Feb 18, 2012 at 05:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password