Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 1D mark II

adrianb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D mark II

Finally I'm the proud owner of the 1 series.... which I've been craving for a loooong time.

It's not a 1D IV or 1D III or a Ds.

It's a 1D mark II. It has about 210.000 clicks, it performs flawlessly. It has some cosmetic wear, but nothing that I'm bothered about (since I got it for a real good price).

After playing 1 day with it , the thing which strikes me most is: how in the world could canon launch a body like 5D mark II which is SO SO crippled as far as functionality goes...

I will not even get into the AF debate, it's FUTILE. But the functions and customization level on this thing....just blows me away. And it's a digic II old body,not some fancy DIGIC IV machine.

I didn't have a chance to shoot that much,but it seems IQ wise, it's pretty much like 5Dc (although 5Dc might look a bit better, especially at IS above 1250).

I am pairing the 1D with my current 5D II and a 24L II, 50 1.4 and 135L. I was worried by the inconsistency within the files (shot by 2 different bodies) but I don't care about that anymore....

This thing makes using the 5D/5D II like a P&S camera as far as functionality goes..

What I would need on this 1D II is the the screen on 5Dc at least (1D mark II N), the joystick (present on 5Dc/5D II), and two CF cards instead of CF + SD.

Is there any other firmware besides the 1.2.6 ?

And can you suggest where I can get a replace battery (as I only have one, at this time).

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:29 PM
Betacamman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D mark II

Everyone will likely tell you the Lenmar battery on Amazon is the way to go. I love my MkIIN. Happy shooting!

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D mark II

Lenmar is a good choice.

Also, the 'search' function works pretty good, too.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1085738
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1016180
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068140
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1069052

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:35 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D mark II

Love my 1D mark II. I won't get another primary camera until I can afford either the 1dsII or the 1d mark III. The screen and the 2 button situation with the menu functionality are the only things that annoy me. Having said that, I'm far less likely to chimp with this camera...everything just works right.

I got a lenmar that I use in addition to my Canon. If you haven't already, read up on the need to charge/fully discharge these batteries to condition/recondition them.

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:42 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D mark II

adrianb wrote:
After playing 1 day with it , the thing which strikes me most is: how in the world could canon launch a body like 5D mark II which is SO SO crippled as far as functionality goes...

You mean not like the archaic two-handed interface, the unstable firewire connection and the overly soft, small 1DII files. Ra ra.

I sold mine for a 5D as soon as it was available

I'm sorry if that's rained on your parade but the 5-Series do a very good job.

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D mark II

dhphoto wrote:
You mean not like the archaic two-handed interface, the unstable firewire connection and the overly soft, small 1DII files. Ra ra.

Well, the "archaic two-handed interfaced" allows the photographer to control all of the critical functions without removing one's eye from the view finder. It is a "tactile" rather than "visual" interface. Takes practice and learning but even moving to a 1DIII from a 1DIIn, I miss its flexibility. As for "soft", umm, I think you are in a minority position with that statement. RAW generally does require sharpening, but I prefer to be in control of the image as opposed to the camera deciding how "sharp" something should be.

Robert
(1DII, 2 x 1DIIn, now 1DIII, plus 1DsII. I have direct long term experience.)

To the OP, you've got a great cam and one of the best values around. Only thing I can suggest is to look for a 1DsII. Same interface and battery system on FF. Can't image ever selling mine.

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:03 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D mark II

The two-handed interface is a pain with gloves on, on the top of a ladder and in many other situations. The files are by far the softest to come from a dslr and I didn't like mine at all.

That doesn't make my opinions wrong, it just means they don't agree with yours.

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D mark II

You should read this,

Getting the Most from your EOS 1-Series Camera
www.jcolwell.ca/ftp/EOS_Digital-Getting-the-most.pdf
[was http://www.usa.canon.com/content/Handling/EOS_Digital.pdf ]

Pay particular attention to the advice on sharpening. That way, you'll avoid 'soft' images.

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D mark II

Congrats, Adrian!

I agree -- I think the 1D2 is the best value out there for a quality camera. For around $600 (sometimes less!), you get a rugged pro body with many options and beautiful images. Except for highly detailed or technical work, this camera is still a very capable professional option. And it is a great introduction to the 1.3X sensor.

Have fun!

Jim -- Great article -- thanks so much!

Edited on Feb 16, 2012 at 04:44 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:15 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D mark II

jcolwell wrote:
Pay particular attention to the advice on sharpening. That way, you'll avoid 'soft' images.

The OP was completely dismissing the non-1-series level of cameras, I was merely pointing out the the 1DII series has it's issues too. If it was a choice between a 1DII and a 5DII there'd be no contest at all, the 5DII IQ is so far ahead.

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D mark II

jcolwell wrote:
You should read this,

Getting the Most from your EOS 1-Series Camera
www.jcolwell.ca/ftp/EOS_Digital-Getting-the-most.pdf
[was http://www.usa.canon.com/content/Handling/EOS_Digital.pdf ]

Good reference. I just bought a 1diii...is the information still applicable? Thanks...
-Cam

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:20 PM
adrianb
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D mark II

dhphoto wrote:

I'm sorry if that's rained on your parade but the 5-Series do a very good job.

The two handed interface just takes a while to getting used to. Like any new interface.
I don't use the firewire/usb connection. I use a card reader.
And as far as the files are concerned, I'm only shooting RAW.

What I was referring to were the AF/ metering functions....and how customizable the body is (given its age).

So, to tell you the truth,there were no drops of rain on my parade.
I knew exactly what to expect in terms of IQ, and on the other aspects...i was nicely impressed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:20 PM
adrianb
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D mark II

jcolwell: thank you very much for the input and the links (sorry for not using the search function on the battery issue, i'm lazy sometimes :P )

dhphoto: I understand the feelings regarding the softness, but I'm not a sharp-picture obsessed person. And if I want good sharpness and IQ,I still have my 5D II for the job.

I'm not dismissing the non 1 series at all. I owned a 30D, 5Dc, and now a 5D II.
5Dc and 5D II ar ahead in terms of IQ, but for what I do, it's ok to pair a 5D FF body with a fast crop 1d series.

I would have loved to have a 1D III instead of 1D II,but.....i don't have the finance for that. It's just not justified (yet).

All in all, every camera has its issues..I believe.

I got it for almost under 600 $,so I can live with its shortcomings..

There's too much money from this 1D II to a 1D III....
A 1D II N would have been nicer, but couldn't find any.

And I didn't want 2 5D (slow) bodies...

Thank you all for the input

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:27 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1D mark II

I agree with everything you have said. I don't have my 1DII anymore but I loved it. If Canon would just make a 1DII ver II with a better battery, better ISO and a bigger LCD - and not change anything else - I think it would sell in droves. The AF on the 1DII is rock solid.

As far as the files that it produces, they require a little sharpening (as noted) but the results are well worth it.

Two handed interface? Yes, it requires a little practice just like driving a stick shift. Some people never learn to drive manual but for those that do the joys of a stick await them. Same with the 1DII interface.

PS - If you think comparing build to the 5D is bad you should pick up a lowly Nikon D200, with a build that far exceeds the 5D series (noise is awful though). I also like my 5DII but I do have to shake my head sometimes. I will be watching Canon closely when the next iteration of the 5D comes out. IMO it will be telling - whether they have completely lost touch or not. We shall see.

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1D mark II

Shooting RAW, I find the 1D2 to be as sharp as I want it, considering its MP and crop format. It sharpens up to match the 5Dc in comparable cropped areas. ISO is not far behind, with nice imaged up to and including 800.

Granted, it's not "modern" or cutting edge, but still impressive and build like a fine instrument.

I liked mine so well, I bought another near-new one when it came available for just over $600, to which I paid to have the sensor cleaned and the AF adjusted (Canon rebuilt the whole AF system!). So for under $800 total I have a mint body with far less than 10k clicks.

I want to thank Canon for the great job they do supporting these older pro bodies -- another advantage of buying pro gear!

I do hope to get then next version of 5DX that comes out, but I'm sure I'll keep one of these and the 1Ds2 as the extra bodies.

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1D mark II

The 1D2 is a great camera. I have a 1Ds, and it is a fabulous camera - even after 10 years. I admit that I only use mine for landscapes, so the "two-finger" function switch isn't that big a deal, as it is usually stuck on ISO 50. It is a pain with gloves on, though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1D mark II

Congratulations, adrianb. I wish you big success and great pleasure in using this great new tool.

Ralph

Feb 16, 2012 at 06:32 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1D mark II

1DII - nothing but razor sharp images due to amazing AF, and very beautiful/pliable files. 2 hands?? Minor..

Feb 16, 2012 at 06:36 PM
adrianb
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1D mark II

Thanks Ralph and I only hope that you try one of these old bricks.......it really gives you a different perspective I'm sure it will be a blast as a 2nd body in doing events

Feb 16, 2012 at 07:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1D mark II

onegreatcity wrote:
Good reference. I just bought a 1diii...is the information still applicable? Thanks...
-Cam

A lot of the content on AF and 'drive' is very relevant, but not the guidance on post-processing. The 1DIII and newer 1D-series bodies require significantly less sharpening than the 1DII. When I first got the 1DII, iI figured - rats! it's a soft one. Then I read TFM and all was well.

Feb 16, 2012 at 09:04 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password