Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Impossible to to get it in focus

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

How many CF cards did you fill up :P

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

85/1.2L II on 1DIV.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Well, all the shots are stepped down
Show us something wide open!

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Heatseeker99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Jumping straight up in the same plane is not challenging action. Try catching her running towards you and see the performance.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

I think it's already been said a million times that the center point focus works fine on the 5D. Try using an outer point for action, see where that gets you.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Chad S wrote:
...Try using an outer point for action, see where that gets you.

Why on earth would you do that? I use centre point focus for all subjects with the 5D, even for statues.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Dancing is hardly action ;-) It's recreation, kind of moving statues I have shot actions like these with a classic view camera and had the time to manual focus on the stage :P. The positions are very well predictable. Anyway, not to say this is no EOSfun Thanks for sharing and trying to tell us that the 5D and 85L with bad reputations for fast accurate autofocus are very well capable of shooting great shots in the near darkness of a theater even if the subject moves. It should inspire more people to use their 5D with fast lenses in available light situations where a smart use of gear and the photographers brains and creativity are more important than terrible apparatus

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:51 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

jcolwell wrote:
Why on earth would you do that? I use centre point focus for all subjects with the 5D, even for statues.

Agreed. Wide open? at F 1.2? What would be the point of that, almost nothiing would be in focus.

Shot number one is coming right at me. I would say the keeper rate ran at about 80% but as noted not a lot of the shots were coming right at me. AIServo single shot btw.

I tried using the outer AF point but it was near impossible to keep it on the target. Hence I stopped it down a bit and went to the center.

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:52 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

I wouldn't call 85L "terrible for action", but it's not the most suitable lens for it, and I lump it in the same poor AF responsiveness group with 50 F/1.0, 180L and 800L.

Granted, if the light level is very low, then superfast lenses like 85L and 50 f/1.0 are the only ones that still allow auto focusing albeit slowly.

When photographing action, the key strategy with those slow (or screwy) AF drive lenses is in prefocusing to the distance of the anticipated first contact with the target.

These two shots were done a few weeks ago with 1DsMkII + 85L, at f/1.4 and f/1.8.
I am not sure why is that I haven't shot those with the lens wide open, however, at those distances to target that wouldn't have made any difference.

Edited on Feb 16, 2012 at 09:23 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Heatseeker99 wrote:
Jumping straight up in the same plane is not challenging action. Try catching her running towards you and see the performance.

+1

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:10 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

5d+85L terrible for action

Agreed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:13 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

it's been said... these shots are "static" compared to real action demands.

it's IQ is stunning, no doubt, but the AF for (true) action is a sludge factory (and I have owned both versions)

greg

Feb 17, 2012 at 06:38 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

I did some ballet a couple of months ago with the 85 1.2 wide open on a MKIV. I will say the MKIV made the 85 behave pretty well for low light action at f1.2. It was kind of fun using it wide open and experimenting with techniques.

This shot below shows a dancer on a full run at a 45 dgree angle towards the camera. 85mm is really a great FL for these kinds of shots assuming you have access to shoot close to the stage. The 50 1.2 would do well here too, but at a different perspective. Overall I was very impressed and confident that the MKIV/85 1.2 combination would provide a good enough keeper ratio to shoot these as a paid gig.

I didn't try the 5dmkII with the 85 in this session.

1DMKIV, f1.2, iso500, 1/640th,

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:33 PM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

jcolwell wrote:

What if you don't want your subject in the middle of the frame? I was shooting hockey the other day and I would have loved to be able to place the player more on the right side of the frame but with a 5d2 it's a no-no if the subject is moving

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:55 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Bullseye5d2 wrote:
What if you don't want your subject in the middle of the frame? I was shooting hockey the other day and I would have loved to be able to place the player more on the right side of the frame but with a 5d2 it's a no-no if the subject is moving

You should be ok to crop away with all those MPs at your disposal.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

dfresh wrote:
You should be ok to crop away with all those MPs at your disposal.

Question: What if you prefer not to crop? Answer: Use the right camera for the job.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

As long as you have an idea of where the action is going, great work can come from an 85L; dance recitals, knowing a gymnastic routine and lateral moving subjects are all relatively easy to perform.

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:01 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

Predictable motion and pre-focusing can get you very far with the 5D+85L combo.

Feb 18, 2012 at 06:09 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d+85L terrible for action :)

RobertLynn wrote:
How many CF cards did you fill up :P

Generally a 20% keeper rate for me when it comes to the 85L and action!

Feb 18, 2012 at 07:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password