Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · reallycatchyphototitle

alaskalive
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · reallycatchyphototitle

I went out today.. with about an eighth of a tank of gas...
Looking for some thing to take photos of... drover around for 3 hours.. NO WILDLIFE!

Then I spotted some horses.. and a moose!

I shot in manual.. and I was not impressed with the photos.. so I am going to just post this photo that I took a short time back...

BW-BABY

Canon EOS 60D    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    45mm    f/8.0    1/180s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.1 #2 · reallycatchyphototitle

lighting looks a little flat... there's no molding of the face...

Feb 16, 2012 at 07:47 AM
alaskalive
• • •
p.1 #3 · reallycatchyphototitle

Josh Evilsizor wrote:

What does Molding of the face.. mean?

Feb 16, 2012 at 08:26 AM

Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · reallycatchyphototitle

I think Josh means that since the lighting was very broad and diffuse, there is not much variation in the baby's face between shadows and highlights and this reduces the viewers impression of dimensionality in the face (makes it look flatter).

I actually don't think it is that bad but the white fur isn't helping much. To start with, it served as diffuse reflector and helped fill in those shadows. Secondly, it sort of "blinds" the viewer of the final image and makes it harder for him or her to see the subtle tonal variation on the baby.

This could be improved in post by knocking back the brightness of the fur and increasing the contrast on the baby's skin a little. During the shoot, you could probably improve this a bit by:
- using a more directional light source (smaller or farther away)
- using a snoot or gobos
- swapping the white fur for something a bit darker

As I said though, I don't think you're that far off the mark. Damping down the brightness of the fur and boosting contrast on the baby a tad would help quite a bit. If you want, I would be glad to post a sample edit to illustrate what I am talking about.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · reallycatchyphototitle

Josh Evilsizor wrote:

you want mold on a babies face?!?! that is abhorrent

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:24 PM
alaskalive
• • •
p.1 #6 · reallycatchyphototitle

Eyeball wrote:
I think Josh means that since the lighting was very broad and diffuse, there is not much variation in the baby's face between shadows and highlights and this reduces the viewers impression of dimensionality in the face (makes it look flatter).

I actually don't think it is that bad but the white fur isn't helping much. To start with, it served as diffuse reflector and helped fill in those shadows. Secondly, it sort of "blinds" the viewer of the final image and makes it harder for him or her to see the subtle tonal variation on the baby.

This could be improved
...Show more

First off, thank you for your help... these simple words do not adequately express the gratitude I have for your help... thank you again...

I understand exactly what you said here. Now , NOW, I understand more fully what is meant by flat.. I understood before you said all this but now It is totally clear what you mean by flat on this image.....

Many times now I find I am in need of a snoot. I am just going to have to get one.
I see now that this photo is all blown out.... I understand!

I will do much better next time.. thanks a lot!

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password