Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · LR3 vs DPP

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · LR3 vs DPP

LR3 is finally at a price point that I find attractive , (today on sale at B&H For $70), my current workflow is as follows:-

1) Picasa for viewing photos & online sharing
2) All photos manually organized under month-year based folder structure
3) I shoot Raw and selectively process the RAW files of photos I find most interesting in DPP
4) Selectively modify a few photos in PSE8 for sharpness, cloning, levels, printing etc

I tend to prefer DPP colors to ACR colors of PSE8.

I have heard many people rave about LR3, could any former DPP owners speak if LR3 is a worthy upgrade for raw processing or simplifying workflow? Thank you in advance.

Feb 15, 2012 at 09:36 PM
leftymgp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · LR3 vs DPP

It's definitely an upgrade from DPP. It's taken me a bit to get used to LR, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I never was an edit in DPP only kind of guy though. I would open and review in DPP, then open any good ones up in photoshop for more editing. I find LR makes the workflow a little smoother.

I think LR4 is about to be released which might be why LR3 is so cheap.

Feb 15, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Mr.Konstantin
• •
p.1 #3 · LR3 vs DPP

Yap LR 4 is in beta right now but LR 3 is still great and for $70 its a steal.
I myself still use both DPP and LR3 but tend to lean more to LR for quicker workflow.

Feb 15, 2012 at 09:52 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · LR3 vs DPP

Thanks. I hear that LR4 is to be release soon enough at $299 and LR3 @ $70 seems too good to pass up on, at least for trying it out and then upgrading to LR4.

Quite a nice day here in Austin , TX today ;-)

leftymgp wrote:
It's definitely an upgrade from DPP. It's taken me a bit to get used to LR, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I never was an edit in DPP only kind of guy though. I would open and review in DPP, then open any good ones up in photoshop for more editing. I find LR makes the workflow a little smoother.

I think LR4 is about to be released which might be why LR3 is so cheap.

Feb 15, 2012 at 09:54 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · LR3 vs DPP

Mr.Konstantin wrote:
Yap LR 4 is in beta right now but LR 3 is still great and for $70 its a steal.
I myself still use both DPP and LR3 but tend to lean more to LR for quicker workflow.

Thank you. Backordered @ B&H but still pulled the trigger. $70 is just too good a price to pass up on simplifying the workflow.

Feb 15, 2012 at 09:55 PM
adamx12m

p.1 #6 · LR3 vs DPP

I was previously using Bibble 5 and transitioned to LR3 a few months ago. Quite a few resources to get the most out of LR such as http://tv.adobe.com/show/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/ .

1. Create folder names YY-MM-DD {project}, copy all RAW files into folder, create LR catalog within each folder eg. "12-02-15 bobs basketball tournament catalog".
2. Copy all RAW images into folder, import into LR, delete what I don't need on the fly as I edit
3. Create export profiles for web, print and specify output sub-folders created within project folder.
4. Upload desired output folders to Picasa
5. Copy project folder to archive storage into folders by labeled by year

I find the use of multiple monitors to be handy while editing but overall LR is still a bit sluggish at times. Definitely a few tricks you can do such as applying a preset during image import. The use of SSD has helped but the need for a faster machine is needed with LR. Bibble was really fast, too bad Corel ended it's life. Overall LR is a good choice.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #7 · LR3 vs DPP

Thanks Adam. Looking forward to getting LR3 around end of this month. ( I do have a ssd so that should help a bit with performance, though given when I am hearing on Horsepower needs of LR4, its a bit scary even with my 6 core 8gb os on SSD and data on Raid 5 machine :-) )

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · LR3 vs DPP

I have been a long time LR user. the interface is fantastic. it is also superfast. I also import in to folders by date and month. I use a single catalog, b/c its not unusual for me to want to sort by lens or F stop, all of my collection. I then go through, rate them from 1-5. all the 1's get deleted. 2-5 get some processing, almost entirely in LR, though some of the 5's (esp landscape) may make it to photoshop. I then export everything in a subfolder withing the original folder called LRedits, at a 3000x3000 max size, at 70% jpeg compression. I often view the images via picasa. I find that size is plenty for everything except for large prints. I keep all the originals however.
I have tried dpp several times b/c some say it has better colors, and noise reduction. Never found it to be the case, and its just too cumbersome.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · LR3 vs DPP

I have had LR3 for about a year now and have yet to install it on my computer.

Jim

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · LR3 vs DPP

If you don't need the additional power of the (full version) of Photoshop, I think that Lightroom is almost certainly the best option right now. Not only is it a very competent raw conversion/processing app, but it is also a wonderful file management tool and it provides a lot of very useful ways of getting your files out as albums, video, etc.

At $70 (today only! - more at my blog) it is a steal.

Dan

thedutt wrote:
LR3 is finally at a price point that I find attractive , (today on sale at B&H For $70), my current workflow is as follows:-

3) I shoot Raw and selectively process the RAW files of photos I find most interesting in DPP
4) Selectively modify a few photos in PSE8 for sharpness, cloning, levels, printing etc

I have heard many people rave about LR3, could any former DPP owners speak if LR3 is a worthy upgrade
...Show more

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

swoop
• • •
p.1 #11 · LR3 vs DPP

I only use lightroom. Does everything I need it to do.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM
dennisgibson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · LR3 vs DPP

Jim Victory wrote:
I have had LR3 for about a year now and have yet to install it on my computer.

Jim

Same here Jim! I bought LR2 before that and installed it and I think screwed around with it once, maybe twice

I think I'm going to install 3 when I get home tonight!

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · LR3 vs DPP

You'll love it. It's excellent software.

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:16 AM
dennisgibson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · LR3 vs DPP

Any LR3 tutorials (videos or articles) people would recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:10 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #15 · LR3 vs DPP

The raw file processing engine of Lightroom 3 is the same as that of the current version of ACR in Photoshop CS5 (ACR 6.6). I assume (but am not sure) that the version of ACR in Photoshop Elements 8 also uses the same raw file processing algorithm as LR and PS CS5. So, if you really prefer the colors produced by DPP, you may want to try out the Lightroom 3 demo, or the Lightroom 4 Beta, before making a decision.

John

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:56 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · LR3 vs DPP

I wish DPP would add some improved cataloguing utility!

Feb 16, 2012 at 05:16 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #17 · LR3 vs DPP

I would choose DPP for the quality of RAW conversion

Feb 16, 2012 at 05:26 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · LR3 vs DPP

I actually like LR/ACR colors better than DPP. Also the NR and sharpening tools of LR are really great. I never done it, but it should be possible to tweak LR/ACR (calibration panel) to produce DPP-like colors. Anyway, I have used LR since version 1, and can't work without it. If you shoot a lot, it will definitely speed up your workflow over Picasa/DPP.

Feb 16, 2012 at 06:17 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · LR3 vs DPP

thedutt wrote:

I have heard many people rave about LR3, could any former DPP owners speak if LR3 is a worthy upgrade
...Show more

Ok DPP is hard to complain about since it's free, but my god it's horrible to use and frankly I can get better results in a quarter of the time with LR3. Colours from DPP might be a bit better, but choose the correct profile from ACR and tweak a little if needed and I can get very close.

Some are happy with DPP, but I'd only use it if I had a new camera that wasn't supported by LR or C1 Pro, another great RAW converter and better colour than LR but not as good for NR.

Feb 16, 2012 at 06:22 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #20 · LR3 vs DPP

BluesWest wrote:
The raw file processing engine of Lightroom 3 is the same as that of the current version of ACR in Photoshop CS5 (ACR 6.6). I assume (but am not sure) that the version of ACR in Photoshop Elements 8 also uses the same raw file processing algorithm as LR and PS CS5. So, if you really prefer the colors produced by DPP, you may want to try out the Lightroom 3 demo, or the Lightroom 4 Beta, before making a decision.

John

Thanks John. I figured for $70 it is worth trying it out for the cataloging purposes. The deal was one day only so I didnt want to pass up on it :-)

Feb 16, 2012 at 06:27 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password