Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Would you ship a lens to China?

Flybye
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you ship a lens to China?

So I just sold an old 70s lens on eBay

Of course, I specifically stated I only ship to the US, and I suddenly have questions from someone in Russia and China wanting me to make an exception.

Of course I can refuse them, but has anyone had luck shipping out there?
The only way I'd ship something out there would be with proper insurance. But if something goes wrong, I keep wondering who in the world would take care of that claim. USPS or whoever they use in the other country? And them I'm trying to imagine just how long it would take that claim to go through.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you ship a lens to China?

If you gotta ask, you've already answered you question, IMHO. It'd be a cold day in hell before I'd do that, unless I really knew the person on the other end of the transaction.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Flybye
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you ship a lens to China?

Well, there's that .0001% chance of sending it that I was curious about, but you're right. I already pretty much made up my mind. I suppose I just wanted some support. .

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you ship a lens to China?

The only way I will ship anything valuable to someone unknown in China / Russia (or anywhere else other than US and Canada) is by using FedEx with full insurance and the buyer will have to pay for that.

Feb 15, 2012 at 03:01 AM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you ship a lens to China?

I'll ship anywhere in the world. But they are going to do a bank transfer and it'll be a month before I ship. They also will accept full responsibility if it doesn't get there. The USPS insurance is only good to the US border. Once it's in another country the USPS won't accept responsibility. Who can blame them?

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you ship a lens to China?

I'd ship it if I was giving it away for free

Feb 16, 2012 at 03:32 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you ship a lens to China?

Byebye Flybye! Wave to your lens before you send it. I find all chinese characters looking like we write swearing in cartoons. You now know why Don't even take the risk, we warned you!

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you ship a lens to China?

eosfun wrote:
Byebye Flybye! Wave to your lens before you send it. I find all chinese characters looking like we write swearing in cartoons. You now know why Don't even take the risk, we warned you!

geez, eosfun, we don't understand what you mean by the swearing comment. can you please help us understand what eosfun you are having?

Feb 17, 2012 at 05:30 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you ship a lens to China?

Hmmm...well your city/state location indicates that you are on the "Surface of the Sun" and you're worried about shipping an item to China or Russia!

No seriously, don't do it...if your ad was quite explicit about shipping location, no need to complicate your life now. Sure, there's every possibility that it might be ledgit, but reality shows that it's likely a scam.

HTH,
Omar

Feb 17, 2012 at 04:56 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you ship a lens to China?

geez, eosfun, we don't understand what you mean by the swearing comment.此致
敬礼 祝福你一切顺利并在...方面成功。改变摄影的

Feb 17, 2012 at 08:42 PM
dblankenburg
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you ship a lens to China?

I sold an older lens on eBay to a buyer in China. He payed via PayPal and I sent it US mail international. Had no problems and got a nice thank you email when he received the lens. The lens wasn't a big ticket item so I didn't worry about the risk. Sometimes you get lucky.

Feb 17, 2012 at 08:57 PM
patrick_morris
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would you ship a lens to China?

Just make them pay for registered mail and you will be covered. I've been scammed twice shipping overseas and lost out on my products plus the money received from paypal because of this. The last auction where this happened the overseas buyer filled out a paypal complaint for not receiving the goods three days after the auctions ended and the next day after I marked them as shipped online. The dollar is really weak right now so many people are legitimately looking to save money buy purchasing from the US, so it is not necessarily a scam. This type of scam is just one of the many reasons I refuse to use paypal anymore.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would you ship a lens to China?

eosfun wrote:
此致
敬礼 祝福你一切顺利并在...方面成功。改变摄影的

So are you swearing with your response?

What's the difference between Russians and the Chinese?

Feb 18, 2012 at 02:55 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would you ship a lens to China?

Flybye wrote:
So I just sold an old 70s lens on eBay

Of course, I specifically stated I only ship to the US, and I suddenly have questions from someone in Russia and China wanting me to make an exception.

Of course I can refuse them, but has anyone had luck shipping out there?
The only way I'd ship something out there would be with proper insurance. But if something goes wrong, I keep wondering who in the world would take care of that claim. USPS or whoever they use in the other country? And them I'm trying to imagine just how long it
...Show more

Well those certainly are danger countries, nearly as risky as shipping to Nigeria, well not quite but....
They just have so much hacking and scamming going on. Not that they don't have legit users and it's sad for them but it is a risk.

What do their profiles look like? Location? What have they bought and sold recently? How much stuff? How recently? Do the accounts look like they are hacked? etc.

Since it is an old 70s lens and possibly lower ticket price range they might be legit though, the old stuff can be pretty popular in Russia and perhaps China. So maybe it's OK. If it is like a 300 2.8 IS or 24-70L or whatnot then I would be much more worried.

Feb 21, 2012 at 07:21 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password