Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

PerlaD300
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Hi All,

I have been thinking of getting a good/decent camera bag and finally at a point to pull the trigger. For some reason, after reading and looking at the Thinktank Retrospective models, they seem to be a good match. I currently carry Nikon D300/18-200mm/50mm/sb-600/Gitzo tripod equipment which I think would fit nicely into Ret-10 model (I understand it doesn't have loops to carry a tripod). I currently carry a small slingshot bag which I am not too fond of and doesn't fit all my equipment.

Considering I have not personally looked/handled this bag, I would like to get your feedback how well this fits your needs? Any comparable models that I should take note of? Any downside to a messenger style bag vs a backpack model vs any other style?

Price seem to be on the higher side but I guess you have to pay for a good quality product. I would love to hear your options so I make a good call on this purchase.

Thank you and appreciate your input.

Regards,
Perla

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:57 PM
SirBrian

p.1 #2 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I've had the retro 10 for over a year now, and i will say its one of the best bags i've ever bought. It will definitely accommodate your gear well, with room to spare. I bought it to hold my d90 with a 70-200 vri attached, and it did its job fine. Theres also many other areas in which you can put items into quickly.

The only downside i have with this messenger style bag is that it places a lot of tension on one shoulder like all messenger bags. I've had the bag on my shoulder throughout an entire wedding once, and it was quite a relief afterwards to take it off. People have bragged about how comfortable the pad is, but i find it a little on the stiff side. I bought this bag to hold my gear, and be able to shoot out of it quickly. I've also considered the urban disguise series, but i didn't like how some of the pockets were placed, and how the strap was. I did consider it for the laptop compartment, but i rarely use my laptop to edit photos anyways.

If you decided to buy the retro 10, i would try to find one instores first to see if it fits your needs. Its made very well, and im planning on using for a long while, until i lust for another bag.

Side note, i did consider a crumpler bag, but the Thinktank brand sold me on the retro 10.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #3 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Thanks so much for your input Brian. I will try to see if some of the local stores carry this but Chicago burbs these days doesn't have a good camera store (from range of product perspective) and have to drive to DT to check 'em out. I was just lurking on crumpler website about '5 mil' and '6 mill' bags. They do does seem nice.

Heard Retro 10 is on the heavier side (3 lbs) where as Crumpler 6 mil is about 2.2 lbs.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #4 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

www.cambags.com
For the information that you seek.

JP

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

The Retro 10 is a great bag -- lots of well thought out little features, great padding, and holds a lot for its size. It is indeed fairly heavy, though. I use mine when I'm shooting an event and and want to carry several lenses and be able to feel confident about putting the bag down while I shoot.

You would have room to spare with the gear you've listed -- maybe more room than you want. I agree with the suggestion of looking at it in person.

For lighter weight and a much slimmer package for around town, I use the Domke F-5xc, which is superficially similar but follows a radically different design philosophy.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.1 #6 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Nice bag with enough room for the gear you list. Some drawbacks are the side pockets are tight.. not much you can put in there that isn't flat. The flap (under side) doesn't have a quick access compartment which I wish it did.

The TT slingomatic 10 might fit the bill as well but I've never used it. Crumpler makes a nice bag as well. I've used the 8mdh, not the smaller size.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM
ankaka

p.1 #7 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Think Tank ~ Retrospective 10, Pinestone
I read lots of reviews before buying this bag and it's everything we hoped. It's a nice, plain discreet bag and all of our items fit nicely in there with easy access to all. We have a canon xti, a macro lens, standard lens, and zoom lens. It fits some batteries, chargers, our point and shoot, some bungees, an off camera flash and there's room for our personal items i.e. phone wallet ipad etc.
Great bag.

Feb 15, 2012 at 03:58 AM
YeahLobstah

p.1 #8 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I'd second the Crumpler recommendation, they're great bags. I have the 7 million dollar home, and the quality is great. Holds a ton of gear (though it gets heavy though...) and the silent velcro feature is a godsend when I'm shooting quiet events.

I haven't had first-hand experience with TT's smaller bags, but I do have a rolling suitcase from their Airport line, and it oozes quality and durability. My only recommendation is get a bag that's *slightly* bigger than you think you need...the extra room really comes in handy as you get more gear, carry random objects, etc.

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:00 AM
TheLost

p.1 #9 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I've always been a big fan of Crumpler bags, but you REALY need to see the Think Tank Retrospective line in person to see how amazing they are.

I picked up the Retrospective 20 last year... since then all my other bags have been collecting dust.

The only difference between the Retro 10 and 20 is that the 20 is taller. The 20 can handle a f2.8 70-200mm attached to the body (with the hood reversed).

Size: The bag looks smaller than it is. I can fit my D700 w/ Nikon f/2.8 70-200mm VRII attached. Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 18-200mm and a SB600 flash with room to spare. Since i have the Retro 20 i can even fit my iPad in the outside pocket. Check the video's on youtube to see how much stuff people cram into these bags! I hate large bags.... and 90% of the time i only carry my camera and the 70-200mm.. with that 'load' the 20 shrinks down to a very nice slim size.

Durability/Security: (Note: I have the Pinestone color that uses a different material then the black). This thing is tough. Very well padded. Its one of the best engineered bag's i've had.. and i go through camera bags like my wife through purses . I've lugged it through various sports stadiums, crowded fields (sporting events) and even dropped down a few bleachers.. I've never worried about my gear inside.

Weather: In light rain and snow i don't bother putting on the included 'Shower Cap' (rain cover). In heavy rain with the rain cover on its still easy to get your gear in and out.

Comfort: It has a BIG THICK shoulder strap with a nonslip/movable pad. One of the most comfortable shoulder bags I've had (including the Crumplers). Along with the shoulder strap it has a strong/sturdy handle that's great for a quick grab and run when you need it.

Best feature: The pinestone version doesn't look like a camera bag. I call it a retro rucksack look. My wife calls it a diaper bag.. Either way, nobody has walked off with it when i've left it laying around

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:51 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I have been using a Tamrac slim bag made for video such as the 979 with my cameras and lenses or for my flash units. I have two of the slightly smaller models too, which you can leave on your shoulder as you are shooting. I got mine at Calumet Chicago on Cherry Street. Here is one currently on eBay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamrac-979-Camera-Bag-Fits-Most-Video-Cameras-HMC-150-HVX-100-SHIPS-QUICKLY-/310370966764?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item48438d1cec

Feb 15, 2012 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I have the Retro 20.

I've carried 70/200, 300 2.8, nifty 50, water, two cams and accessories.

It's tough, inconspicuous (Pine) and well designed. Even tho' it has a well padded wide shoulder strap it can get heavy on one shoulder. But it also has a good hand carry handle.

the series is excellent for city stuff

Feb 15, 2012 at 05:25 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #12 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I have the Retro 30. It's my everyday camera bag that can carry one dSLR attached to a 70-200 lens, plus 2 zooms, or 3 lightweight lenses. But on most days, I carry one body with two lenses, max. The bag is a little bulky due to the size, but I'd like to have more space available when I need it.

Feb 15, 2012 at 05:32 PM
String
• •
p.1 #13 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

While I dont have a Retro, I do have a UD-50 and an Airport International. TT bags are a little pricier but they are top quality bags. I've never had any issues with either of my TT's; they are built to last. I would highly recommend their products.

Feb 15, 2012 at 05:45 PM
passthegravy
• • •
p.1 #14 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I have the Crumpler 6 million dollar bag, which I like a lot and holds plenty of gear for me (amateur). But I still want to try out the TT Retro 10, which is almost unanimously acclaimed as a fantastic bag.

Feb 15, 2012 at 07:24 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #15 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

WOW & WOW! Thank you so much guys, never thought I would receive such a great input from everyone.

From what I see here, Retro & Crumpler both seem to be great choices. Somehow, I am leaning towards Retro-10/Pinestone bag. Dang this thing is costly...close to $160 ...hopefully will have sometime to checkout personally before my international travel....

Perla.

Feb 15, 2012 at 07:37 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.1 #16 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Crumpler bags are very well made. I had the 8 million dollar home and it fit everything I had at the time. The problem was, I realized i DIDNT want to hold everything I had. It killed my shoulder Also, keep in mind that the crumpler bags are VERY well padded and to me, over padded.

I ended up selling it and getting a retro 10. Great bag, just the right amount of padding without taking up too much space. Its relatively low key and sturdy. It can easily hold my d3s, 24-70, 70-200, ziess 100mp, sb900 (or 2), filters, gps tagger, lens cleaner, blower, etc.

Feb 16, 2012 at 01:26 AM
huddy
• • •
p.1 #17 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

I have a Retrospective 5 for my a single body and some combination of up to 4 (tiny) lenses or 2 lenses and a flash. I sometimes even through in an FM2 in the front pocket for those times I want to shoot some film. It's very well made and the larger sizes are equally nice. I looked long and hard between a 5 and 10 but elected to buy the smallest size I could to limit how much gear I could carry at one time.

It's easily been one of my best purchases ever.

Feb 16, 2012 at 04:42 AM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #18 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Great reviews and experiences to read!

Have any of you traveled with Retro bag internationally? I ask this because I have an upcoming travel (in next few weeks) and wonder if I have to watch out for anything specific while carrying this bag (or should not carry this bag). Of course this would stay with me as my cabin baggage.

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Regards
Perla

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.1 #19 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

No problems at all. I suggest trying it before you go so will have an idea how it weighs on the shoulder. It might prevent you from over packing

PerlaD300 wrote:
Great reviews and experiences to read!

Have any of you traveled with Retro bag internationally? I ask this because I have an upcoming travel (in next few weeks) and wonder if I have to watch out for anything specific while carrying this bag (or should not carry this bag). Of course this would stay with me as my cabin baggage.

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Regards
Perla

Feb 17, 2012 at 01:45 AM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #20 · Camera bag recommendation - Retrospective 10 or Other?

Thanks Celbrett....I am planning to visit Calumut chicago (looks like they have 1 in store) to check it out...will post my experience...

Feb 17, 2012 at 09:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password