Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

thinkpadfans
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Paypal is blocking people using excessive personal payments. Personally I've been limited 2 times, nearly permanent limitation by personal purchases with no fees.

I am just wondering how you guys get away with this, and I would strongly suggest that regular paypal be used more often to avoid being limited.

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated

Edited by Fred Miranda on Feb 15, 2012 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2012 at 06:53 PM
xmattkx
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

You have no protection at all with personal payments, Fred has recommended this as well. For the 2-3% depending upon your volume, it's well worth it to eat the fees.

Feb 14, 2012 at 06:55 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #3 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

xmattkx wrote:
You have no protection at all with personal payments, Fred has recommended this as well. For the 2-3% depending upon your volume, it's well worth it to eat the fees.

Personally I think you can still dispute if you are using personal payment, even though paypal does not guarantee it. Usually people get money back.

The issue is that I am surprised that paypal is so harsh on me. Immediately after some guy paid me 600 as gift and wrote a note that "payment for XX lens" (second time it happened to me), I got limited, for 6 months, until last night, after making 7 calls to Paypal to get resolved.

Fortunately the account was restore today and I am able to accept paypal payments again, but I am not paying or receiving with personal again.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:05 PM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #4 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

IMHO using paypal is like asking some one to hold your money for you.

That's all they have ever done for me!

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #5 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

I got that warning about Paypal gift payments last year. Since then, I don't accept gift anymore as a seller. It's now either regular Paypal or mailed check/MO. I'm not sure why you are still trying to circumvent the gift method even after they already gave you the warning. Paypal/Ebay is in the business of making money so they want to collect that transaction fee. If you don't like the fee, then either don't use them, or build the fee in to your prices. Nothing against you personally but think of it from their perspective. They are not out to get you. They just want the fee for using their services.

Edited on Feb 14, 2012 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:23 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

thinkpadfans wrote:
The issue is that I am surprised that paypal is so harsh on me. Immediately after some guy paid me 600 as gift and wrote a note that "payment for XX lens" (second time it happened to me)

Ummm...so let me get this straight...you accept a transaction payment for the sale of a lens, but payment is sent as a 'gift'...and you're surprised that PayPal 'frowns upon' on this kind of deceptive practice?

Whether you like PayPal or not, those are their terms...NO ONE is forcing you to use them. There are plenty of alternative payments methods but if you choose to use PayPal, then you have to abide by their rules (which you agree to when you sign up).

Omar

Edited on Feb 14, 2012 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Read the terms and agreements. If you can't or don't want to bother listening to them don't use Paypal or don't complain when they do something about you violating them. It's simply, really.

adilh

p.1 #8 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Amazon payment and chase quick pay are good alternatives that one should consider.....used them a few times and I'm happy!

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:33 PM
argar
• • •
p.1 #9 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Paypal tolerate payment as a gift if you do not use it all the time and mostly on small amount, also if someone pay you, or you pay via gift, it should be no any notes like " payment for... " Paypal see this and it will question right away. Paypal Gift is not design for transactions and if you use it for transaction you violate their rules. First time, they will warn you, but next time as you know they can limit or close your account. Paypal is the quickest form of payment but not the cheapest... use it or not is your choice... Personally I do not recommend paypal gift as a payment, if you want to void fees, choice alternative ways... (checks, MO, bank transfers/deposits..etc...).

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:34 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #10 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

argar wrote:
Paypal tolerate payment as a gift if you do not use it all the time and mostly on small amount, also if someone pay you, or you pay via gift, it should be no any notes like " payment for... " Paypal see this and it will question right away. Paypal Gift is not design for transactions and if you use it for transaction you violate their rules. First time, they will warn you, but next time as you know they can limit or close your account. Paypal is the quickest form of payment but not the cheapest... use it
...Show more

you guys got all the points, I am just giving a heads up to people who use gifts all the time. Losing a paypal account can be very frustrating.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

veroman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

PayPal "Gift" and PayPal "Personal" are not ... and were never intended to be ... transaction methods, ie money is sent and something is received in return; in other words, a Buy/Sell transaction.

"Gift" and "Personal" are supposed to be one-way streets, where money is sent for nothing in exchange; yes, just like a real Gift. Both "Gift" and "Personal" are free.

Regular PayPal is a service they charge for. Trying to get around the service fee by using "Gift" or "Personal" when buying something is an attempt to transact without a fee. Do that enough times and you're going to get penalized in some way. Can't blame them ....

- Steve

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:57 PM
bobjames
• •
p.1 #12 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Paypal allows people to use credit cards to buy expensive items from private sellers that can't accept them.
That's prob the best that can be said about it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:14 PM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #13 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Last December I tried to save a few bucks once again and left myself vulnerable with no recourse. I wasn't worried, I had done this tons of times, and it always worked out fine.

Well....... I took it in the shorts this time for $460....... gone, zip zero nadda to show for it !!!

Did I save that much over the years by cheapshotting Maybe, but never put it all away to cover my butt for when I got screwed.

So I look at every transaction now and stop to ask myself "can I afford to throw that much money away?" Because that is EXACTLY what I did back in December, and no, $460 is way pass my threshold of "disposable".

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:45 PM
sdwphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

paypal is a scam--it's an ebay company designed for one purpose--to get more of a % of your transactions. You pay a listing fee and a portion of your auction's final sale value, and then your customer marches over to paypal where they take 2.9% more.

Is it convenient? Sure. Is it worth it? You decide. But with so many alternatives (like the aforementioned Chase Quickpay and Amazon Payments) emerging for less or no cost, paypal is going to have to work very hard to keep people's attention going forward.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

Wrong forum...

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #16 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

I'll take it

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

sdwphoto wrote:
paypal is a scam--it's an ebay company designed for one purpose--to get more of a % of your transactions. You pay a listing fee and a portion of your auction's final sale value, and then your customer marches over to paypal where they take 2.9% more. Is it convenient? Sure. Is it worth it?....

No, it isn't worth it, especially for the buyer, who has to pay higher prices because the seller has to mark things up higher than usual in order to make up for the cost of selling on eBay and collecting via PayPal. A vicious circle. Private selling on Amazon costs even more. Their percentage of the selling price is very, very high. Best place to buy and sell is right here, IMHO.

- Steve

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

NikonGuyIsHere wrote:
I'll take it

!!!

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM
RPRacing

p.1 #19 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

sdwphoto wrote:
But with so many alternatives (like the aforementioned Chase Quickpay and Amazon Payments) emerging for less or no cost, paypal is going to have to work very hard to keep people's attention going forward.

Except on fleabay where sellers are REQUIRED to accept paypal (and cant list any other forms of payments they'd accept).

Paypal was great, until Ebay bought it. Now its a total joke.

Feb 21, 2012 at 09:46 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #20 · A Question for all that use paypal to transact

of course if all forum order is so good as here, paypal will go broke.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password