Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80...

Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

So I've been keeping this particular photo from Danielle's session under wraps as the lens release date wasn't until today, but I'm free to share now! This was taken with the new Lensbaby Edge 80...it gives a look VERY similar to a tilt shift. I have both and REALLY love this lens...way easier to use than an actual tilt shift.

And in b&w (which I think is even more haunting)...

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Uzi-

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

These are nice, I know some people dislike the lensbaby look but I think its great to mix things up. You couldn't do every shot with one, but these are a nice departure from the norm. They do look very much like a tilt/shift, how does the lens perform when shot straight on in normal configuration.

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Patrick Kolb

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

I enjoy the black & white version, but I wonder what it would look like with a sepia tone.
Good work.

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

I'm one of the ones that dislike the lensbaby. It's likely because I see the bizarre OOF areas and my mind digests that instead of good the lens can do. Sorry.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

i can do this oof with PS

but thank you for sharing Lisa

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM
MALemke

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Haven't used any of the lens babies but now would like to try one out. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 15, 2012 at 01:58 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

I think this is an interesting possibility. If you're in the market for a T/S lens, this could probably be a very good, affordable alternative. I prefer the cleaner oof margins of this optic compared to the sloppier OOF almost motion blur feel of the regular lensbaby.

You could probably get a pretty similar effect in PS, but it just always looks a little faker to me.

Oh yeah, I dig the BW photo, Lisa

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:27 AM
danchez
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

meh, doesn't really do anything for me...

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:33 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

This, unfortunately, is another example of how focus planes can screw with an otherwise very nice image. The very first thing my eye goes to are the hard lines in the background and not her beautiful, and beautifully lit face. In a location like this, there's almost no good option for focus plane manipulation without something coming objectionably into focus just where you don't want it.

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

For those who DON'T dig the TS look, here's a very similar photo taken with the 70-200L. Different strokes for different folks! :P

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:45 AM

Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

They might work better with a less distracting background. My eyes are drawn away from the model and right onto the house. Thanks for sharing your samples with this new gear and for all your other great posts.

Feb 15, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Lisa I like the effect. How easy is the Lensbaby to use. Do you use the 85 with the composer Pro?

Feb 15, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Lisa - You've got a great location here, and all too often people get obsessed with blowing their backgrounds out to a meaningless blur, leaving the viewer with only half the story, but here is a case where you could actually benefit from a 200 1.8 or 2.0 - where that little added bit of blur would help your separation but wouldn't so obliterate that it wouldn't have mattered where you were. Conversely - and I don't really need to tell you how to shoot, as you're obviously quite accomplished, moving further away perhaps with a longer lens would do the trick. For me, both the LensBaby and Canon zoom versions are close but not quite up to the standards you usually set for yourself.

Feb 15, 2012 at 07:52 AM
MattWeth
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

I love much of your TS stuff (in fact most of your stuff, period).

While not up to real TS standards I like the look of these and I'd certainly consider trying this lensbaby out. <wanders off to check out prices...>

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

The fact that her hands are blurred beyond recognition yet parts of the house 15 feet behind her is sharp messes with my head. I think I would like it more if her hands were more in focus and the background less so, maybe a less extreme tilt would have done the trick.

I went to the Lensbaby site and looked at the Edge examples there. Frankly, none made me want to put one in the cart. Perhaps it's so new that folks are still learning how to fully exploit its capabilities.

The good news is that you aren't timid about trying different tools and techniques. I'm sure you'll dial in the Edge and come up with some great photos.

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:18 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Very creative love everything about it!

Phil

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Lisa:
Your posts are the ones I look for first in this forum. You have an innate skill in this business and IMO don't need these types of gimmicks. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see where this adds whatsoever to the presentation. I could pick your images out of a stack of 100 from all over this site. I don't see your trademark "look" to these.

As you said, different strokes for different folks. We all strived for years to acquire that element of sharpness and clarity and lack of grain. Now people are introducing out-of-focus and grain where they don't need it . . . I just don't get it.

Richard

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:37 PM
exposedme
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Nice Advertisement.

Feb 15, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

exposedme wrote:
Nice Advertisement.

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:35 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Perfectly Haunting - Taken With the New Lensbaby 'Edge 80'...

Love the colors on the first one, not a fan of lensbabies effects though.

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password