Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

bpham
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought the 85mm 1.2 mk2. This lens is a seriously sized and exudes quality (should be for the price!). This is my first impression for just a couple days of test shooting with it.

Despite some said that it is heavy, I think it is not any heavier than the 24-105 or 16-35 lens that I have and definitely a lot lighter than 70-200mm lens, so that is a relief for me. This is a plus.

I don't mind the manual focus assistance, in fact I like it. The bokeh is great as expected. The integration lens hood with the lens does not bother me. The flush back does not bother me either, just need to be careful. The diameter will pose some issue fitting it into my existing bad, the F-stop Loka, with existing lens and stuffs.

Here are some questions:

I did the sharpness tests (simple ones) taking shots on a fixed printed page of paper, and found that:

At f1.2 - sharpness in the middle, falling off somewhat at the edges, however, still pretty good.
f1.4 - same in the middle, better than 1.2 at the edges.
f1.8 - f16, sharpness all around from edge to edge.

Manual focus seems to be more consistent than AF probably due to less time to settle down between changing the F stops and then triggering the shutter (I used wireless trigger), therefore there was a 2-3 frames not totally sharp with AF, however, all manual focusing shots were sharp.

My observation is that this lens focusing is pretty slow and I'm not sure what the success rate will be taking shots of people who will be moving around a bit in a regular fashion, not sport situation, but just regular people moving on the streets for street photography, etc...? Definitely it should be OK with more static objects/people....

The picture quality and bokeh of course is fantastic but I must nail the focus. A bit of a high demand lens?

is my experience same as what you are?

Any input and/or techniques on how to use this lens more effectively will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM
rantonishak
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Wish I had one of these lenses...

Here are some reviews from the FM review page..

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=300&sort=4&cat=2&page=2

Sincerely,
Randal

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:26 AM
dystorsion

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

I rented this lens a while back and enjoyed it immensely. However, the weight of it just didn't fit my style of shooting. Still a great lens nonetheless.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Well, i can tell you that I've been thinking about this lens for a while and so I agonized over whether I should buy it, plus this is just a hobby, so the justification is NOT great on my part to get it. I could have gotten the 85mm F1.8, however, knowing me, I will sell it later, and I don't like to rent things, so either I have it or I don't...

This lens is one serious lens and I'm trying to learn more on portrait stuffs....which I'm beginning to enjoy greatly in addition to the addiction of landscape photo. This is mostly for family and relatives. Also, learning the side of indoor lighting as well...which also seems to be quite fun.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

I made a mistake of buying it, just to try it, and then good hooked. good news is that I ended up costing me 1400 used, and it has been a better investment than any thing else I have done. After both of my kids are older, (10 years from now) I will sell it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 01:41 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

I've used it on a few shoots. Had a hard time hitting focus near wide open. Found I needed to stop it down more often than not to get adequate depth of field.

Feb 14, 2012 at 01:47 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Why would I complain on size/weight after several years of availability and specs posted any possible places? Sharp at F16? There is always much cheaper and lighter 50/1.8 in stores. Best lens for $ and sharp as a butchers knife!

Feb 14, 2012 at 01:57 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

i hardy get wide open oof shot when pairing the 85L with my 1ds2. Don't know why, hard to beat 1ds2 AF with fast prime. They are souly mate, maybe

Feb 14, 2012 at 04:57 AM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

with enough creativity and trial and error, we will find ways to make use of 1.2 dof, and to me that is the fun of having this option as supposed to not. That to me as part of the enjoyable process of this hobby.

Feb 14, 2012 at 05:16 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

mttran wrote:
i hardy get wide open oof shot when pairing the 85L with my 1ds2.

I have a fair amount of trouble hitting focus with the 85L near wide open on a 5Dc. It'll be close but not exact. So I've never felt that the 85L was particularly "sharp". I've had better luck with focus with the 85/1.8.

Feb 14, 2012 at 06:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

coibeo2610
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

I got the 85L II mounted to 1Ds II, and I confident to say that that combo is the best one I have ever used for portraiture. AF from 1D series does give a wing to the 85L II.

Best,
MC

Feb 14, 2012 at 06:50 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

always, always keep in mind the the dof is proportional not only to the aperture used but to your distance to the subject.. When I'm worried about the slow af, instead of stopping down the lens I step a bit backward.

Shooting someone even walking slowly towards you at full body wont focus fast enough, if you are further from your subject like a car moving at 40 mph can be tracked successfully at1.2 with a 5DM2

Edited on Feb 14, 2012 at 01:34 PM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:10 AM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

the 85L has a bit of a learning curve indeed, more than other lenses. It took me a couple of months to fully understand and appreciate it. Now, it's one of my favorites in the bag.

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:31 AM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Yes, all are correct, as far as I've experienced in using this lens in the last few days. The DOF at 1.2 seems to be hit and miss, and as Pompo said, if you back up from the subject, then it should give a better AF accuracy. However, if shooting up close, like in someone face, then I'll probably make sure that the subject be still, and will try to use manual focus and live-view, if possible (the big IF).

Also, 1D body or not (mine is 1DS3), the slow focusing is probably better than some other models, I do think that this lens focusing is pretty slow compared most lenses. But if you talking about slow focusing, compare this to other highly regarded lenses like the Zeis lenses on Canon body, all manual focusing, so the slow focusing is not too bad, just an option that if you choose not to use MF.

However, this lens is basically not your normal point and shoot, but a specialty lens, therefore just like anything, requires special handling and care, that is why it is fun to have.

Others who have used this lens for a long time think that we're talking about old stuffs here, but I believe that they were excited about this lens just as I do now, when they first got it, so don't forget that...

Yes, it will probably take me a few months to get used to it, but again, this is part of the fun that I do as a hobbyist.

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:51 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Oh, another thing is that I'm experimenting with adjusting the micro focusing in the body for this lens at 1.2, and it the AF at 1.2 seems to be hitting the mark pretty good when hand hold at 1.2...Even though without adjusting it, I was able to hit the mark anyway when it was on the tripod doing the "news paper" test for sharpness as I mentioned in the first post, so it is not like there was a front/back focusing issue here...This does not make sense, I know, but I need to do more experimenting and testing....maybe I'm on drug here (medicine not the other kinds)... but will see.

Feb 14, 2012 at 03:56 PM
mohamed alfari
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

One of the best lenses wide open I have ever seen. as you mentioned the AF wide open is spot on even when its supposed to be hard wide open. As a lens specialize for portrait I don't see slow AF to be a weakness at all as many say. one of the best lenses for the price.

Feb 14, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

I've got the lens, it's an amazing lens although i have to take a few shots to nail one in focus, thats on a 5D II, when you get a shot at 1.2 the image is different from any other L that I own.

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Adam Jones

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

I took one of these for a spin this weekend (looking to apply to pet photography). I loved it -- especially how sharp it is wide open! Focus isn't the fastest as mentioned, but if you're not changing the focal distance too much it dials in pretty quickly. I was surprised by how many in-focus shots I got at f/1.2...I really was expecting worse performance. It's definitely high on my list of lenses to buy now.

Just for fun, here's an image I liked at f/1.8:

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:59 PM
KFG1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

The 85L ll definitely has a learning curve, but once you master it there is no other lens like it, I'll keep my copy forever

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk2 impression

Nice dog, my kid used to have one, such a smart and beautiful breed. Beautiful Picture too! Thanks for sharing.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password